+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Natalie Coughlin - Season 9

Re: Natalie Coughlin - Season 9

She's from my area, and it's pretty well-known that Natalie is this bubbly, kind person. That's what I would hear about Natalie all the time, especially when the Beijing Olympics were going on.

But on the show, something was really off. By Week3, when she danced the bolero, she just looked unhappy. Her chemistry with Alec was so off that it looked like the two disliked each other when they stood side by side. And she was never really shown interacting with the other contestants as much. I don't know, it just didn't seem like she was happy.

I still liked her, especially after her Week2 dance. Loved it. But as disappointed as I was, I wasn't shocked with her elimination. But one thing that did surprise me was her response to her elimination. She couldn't hold back her tears. And when she stated that she really loved the whole environment of the show, she sounds so genuine and so real. And the words that Alec had for her? They also sounded genuine and real.

So if she really wanted to be there, and if Alec and her actually did have a good relationship, they really didn't show that while on the show. I think that if she had shown more of her personality, she would not have been eliminated.
    Survivor - Christina | The Amazing Race - Dave/Rachel | American Idol - Hollie, DeAndre | Celebrity Apprentice - Aubrey | The Voice - Chris, Juliet

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Alec, Edyta, Natalie, and her husband (?) went out after Tuesday's show to dinner, so I can't believe everything went sour with them. They of course didn't look happy and weren't happy about being eliminated. Maybe something else happened on the show, not related to their relationship or chemistry, that made things go bad. Natalie so didn't deserve to go, and I think the show will have lost something.

Natalie and Alec were on The View, danced their paso, and looked to be getting along just fine.

Although, he was asked about whether it's difficult dancing "so sexy" with someone else while being married. He said no, and that Edyta had helped Natalie with whatever dance and that he and Edyta help each other on the show.

I still think that Edyta's early elimination affected Alec in a negative way. But maybe that wasn't all of it.
    The Bachelor/Bachelorette series is a soap opera with unskilled actors, bad writing, and beautiful locations...it even edits the real moon!

Quote Originally Posted by VelvetRed;3734441;
    Natalie and Alec were on The View, danced their paso, and looked to be getting along just fine.

Although, he was asked about whether it's difficult dancing "so sexy" with someone else while being married. He said no, and that Edyta had helped Natalie with whatever dance and that he and Edyta help each other on the show.

I still think that Edyta's early elimination affected Alec in a negative way. But maybe that wasn't all of it.
    Could be. Edyta's the only pro to appear on every single season of the show. Maybe Alec's frustrated that once again, she got an even bigger dud than usual and that the show doesn't give her any superiority or a break.

Quote Originally Posted by karalott;3734680;
    Could be. Edyta's the only pro to appear on every single season of the show. Maybe Alec's frustrated that once again, she got an even bigger dud than usual and that the show doesn't give her any superiority or a break.
    Well, she did have Joey Lawrence for 3rd place, Cameron Mathison for 5th, and Jason Taylor for 2nd place. So, she hardly had all duds, but most of the duds she did have were among the worst of them all.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Sherry ("The View" co-host) mispronounced Edyta's last name but corrected herself (thank goodness for the ear bud). You would think that the co-hosts would prep before the show, if only to get the names right. Sherry also said that Natalie had taken a year and a half off from the Olympics in order to go on DWTS. Natalie said "well, not specifically for that".

I was hoping that Natalie would get to sit down and talk, but this was all done in a hurry on the dance floor after she danced (which is typical for the DWTS guests).
    The Bachelor/Bachelorette series is a soap opera with unskilled actors, bad writing, and beautiful locations...it even edits the real moon!

Dancing's Natalie Coughlin: I Was Never Fake On the Show - All Things Dancing with the Stars | TVGuide.com

Here's Natalie's TV Guide interview. I bolded the part referring to her partnership with Alec. Looks like there weren't any problems that caused their chemistry to suffer and it was all editing. I still think she got a raw deal by the show.

Dancing's Natalie Coughlin: I Was Never Fake On the Show
    Oct 27, 2009 05:44 PM ET by Joyce Eng 8 Comments

Natalie Coughlin proved to be Dancing with the Stars' first shocking casualty when she got booted last week despite great scores and encouraging critiques from the judges. "It's hard when you're working so hard on something for 10 weeks and then it's just taken away from you in the blink of an eye," Coughlin tells TVGuide.com. As surprising as her elimination was, the 11-time Olympic medalist admits certain signs pointed to an exit. See what the swimming star has to say about her time on the show, what she's "p---ed" about and more.

TVGuide.com: I was so bummed to see you go.

Natalie Coughlin: I was bummed too! It's just one of those things where I think a lot of people expected me to be around, so they voted for others. Then the judges were hard on us. We went first and that's always difficult. It's hard for them to be over-complimentary when you have nine couples following you.

TVGuide.com: A lot of people are saying you shouldn't have been eliminated. Does that make it easier?

Coughlin: It is nice to hear, but it's just like — ugh, I miss it so much! I never got a chance to do the ballroom stuff that Alec [Mazo] was sure I was going to be really good at. I'm sad because I'm never going to be able to dance like that ever again. The training was awesome. That was my favorite part — just working so hard with Alec for a purpose. I can take dance classes now to supplement my swim training, but it's never going to be with the same competitive drive and focus that I had on the show.

TVGuide.com: You also apologized when you left for not showing how much you enjoyed it.

Coughlin: Yeah. It's how the packages are edited and when I'm working hard, I'm really focused. I felt like people thought I wasn't passionate about it, but I was. I just don't smile when I'm working hard. The producers decided to show a certain aspect of me, which is hard-working, which I think may have come across differently than it does in person. When you whittle down hours and hours of training into two minutes, it seems like we're not having any fun, but I really loved it.

TVGuide.com: That's probably the athlete in you, right?

Coughlin: I think that's part of it. In swimming, you work hard and you don't talk because you physically can't. You get your work done. You don't complain. You do what you need to do to do your best. I used that same attitude on Dancing and I felt like I improved tremendously. Our scores were good, other than last week, and I honestly don't know why we got such low scores. Alec was adamant there wasn't a lift and I really don't know what they were talking about with me not having the aggression you need in the paso doble. I loved the whole package and afterward, I was shocked the judges didn't like it as much.

TVGuide.com: Where did you think you stood going into Tuesday?

Coughlin: We weren't really sure. We were at the bottom score-wise, but all the indication voting-wise said I'd be fine. Alec kept telling me we'd be fine. I was worried because our scores were so low. When we were eliminated, we were both shocked. We were eliminated in dress rehearsal and they never eliminate the couple in dress rehearsal that's going to be eliminated on the show. When we were eliminated in dress rehearsal, I was like, "Oh, maybe we're safe. They'd never do that." Oh no, they were just being extra mean! [Laughs]

TVGuide.com: They played up your "fights" with Alec in rehearsal and a lot of people thought you weren't getting along and that's why you got booted — he wasn't a good teacher and you weren't listening to him.

Coughlin: We never had any fights. I'm still p---ed about that. The bolero was the week they said we were fighting and it was such b.s. That was footage from, like, before the competition even started spliced with audio from the week before. It was completely fabricated. That was the one thing I was completely upset about and you can't control the packages. We would discuss things, but we're great friends. We got along really, really well. I think both Alec and I weren't fake to the camera. We didn't cheese it up. We didn't try to be someone that we weren't. Maybe that's not always exciting, but we were honest. I get [you may have to be cheesy on the show], but that's not me and I refuse to do that.

TVGuide.com: What was it like watching this week?

Coughlin: I thought Joanna [Krupa] did a fantastic job on the mambo. I thought Louie [Vito] looked great, other than dropping Chelsie [Hightower]! [Laughs] We had it on TiVo and rewound it a couple times because we weren't sure if that was supposed to happen or not. Mark Dacascos is awesome. I really miss all my new friends. The marathon was cool. I didn't quite understand how it worked, like if it was just the same routine over and over again. The camera didn't focus on all nine couples, so it seemed like the placements were predetermined. It's like, "Oh look, they have Michael Irvin. Oh, he's the first to go." They didn't focus on Mya and Dmitry [Chaplin]. But I thought it was cool.

TVGuide.com: What's next for you? Are you training again?

Coughlin: I won't start training for a while, but I'm trying to get organized again, settle back into life. It's a pretty big move. I have so much stuff to unpack!

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by karalott;3740384;
    Dancing's Natalie Coughlin: I Was Never Fake On the Show - All Things Dancing with the Stars | TVGuide.com

Here's Natalie's TV Guide interview. I bolded the part referring to her partnership with Alec. Looks like there weren't any problems that caused their chemistry to suffer and it was all editing. I still think she got a raw deal by the show.
    My inference from the judges's reaction was that Natalie's elimination was NOT what they intended at all when they gave their comments and scores. However, I do think it is obvious that their scores and comments, nevertheless, combined with the costume, song, and the order of the dance influenced voters in such a way that they (the voters) simply voted for other people rather than Natalie that week. I suspect that most people, moreover, were surprised as well that Natalie somehow ended up off the show.
    To my way of thinking, it was a weird set of circumstances that lined up in just such a way to insure that she was booted off way too early.
    Dear paranoid people who check behind their shower curtains for murderers, if you do find one, what's your plan?

Quote Originally Posted by Bloomers;3740587;
    My inference from the judges's reaction was that Natalie's elimination was NOT what they intended at all when they gave their comments and scores. However, I do think it is obvious that their scores and comments, nevertheless, combined with the costume, song, and the order of the dance influenced voters in such a way that they (the voters) simply voted for other people rather than Natalie that week. I suspect that most people, moreover, were surprised as well that Natalie somehow ended up off the show.
    To my way of thinking, it was a weird set of circumstances that lined up in just such a way to insure that she was booted off way too early.
    I don't like to think that the show really rigs the outcomes. I'm skeptical, but I'd just like to believe there's something else that happened. I do believe there's heavy bias and favoritism, and that the show probably does want a certain outcome or angle to play out. So if they would really stick their hand in there and mess with the results I could beleive it. Just like giving the judges power this week and last to send someone home. Then they play shocked over the audience voting. Natalie's paso was a crock. I almost wonder if she and Alec knew they were screwed and that's why it came off poorly (minus all the other factors). Everyone else had music that you could at least pretend to pull a paso off except them. What's next, a paso to I Got You Babe?

I know between the bolero and her paso Natalie had lost steam with the viewers. On top of that, many believed there were issues with her and Alec and felt sorry for her that he was being hard on her. And of course, in a season of 16, people either don't care enough to vote or feel like one of their other favorites is more in jeopardy. Which is probably what ended up happening.

FORT Fanatic

Iron Chef Chairman Mark Dacascos asked his friend Natalie Coughlin if she'd like to appear as a taster on Iron Chef America.
    Natalie went to New York to tape a segment this week. And what a high profile segment this is:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/04/dining/04iron.html

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast