Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Mya - Season 9

From the corner of my eye Jewelsy's Avatar

Mya - Season 9

Mya

PROFESSION:
    Singer, songwriter, record producer, actor

BACKGROUND:
    Will we watch this sultry singer find her Latin rhythm and rumba away with the treasured disco ball?

Mya exploded onto the music scene at age 18 with her eponymous debut album, which yielded three Top 10 singles. She became an instant star known for her edgy lyrics and dance moves. This Grammy-winning multi-platinum artist is a true all-around performer who has expanded her successful singing career to acting, dancing, modeling and record producing.

Mya is also signed to the famed Ford Modeling Agency and has appeared in several movies, including Chicago, Shall We Dance, Dirty Dancing: Havana Nights and Cursed. Mya's sixth studio album is due to be released this year on her own indie label.

A longtime advocate for young women, she founded The Mya Arts & Tech Foundation, a nonprofit organization dedicated to providing disadvantaged youth growth and opportunity through arts and technology education, where she serves as both executive director and teacher.

ABC.com - Dancing With The Stars - Stars

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Re: Mya - Season 9

I had pretty much forgotten all about Mya. I was hoping she'd get Louis but she and Dmitry should make quite the pair. I was always skeptical how well Lil Kim did last year in the fan polls, despite making the top 5, so I'll be curious how Mya fares with the popularity. She's already one of my pre-show favorites to win

There was something bothering me about her and now after reading up on her a little bit, I know what it is. She's a flat out ringer....grrrrr.

She's been in various dance movies(Shall We Dance?, Chicago, Dirty Dancing: Havana Nights .. like it says in her bio) and she's had ballet training (what it doesn't say). She's also known for her dance moves. Usually ringers don't bother me but all this does for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Harmony2000;3672958;
    There was something bothering me about her and now after reading up on her a little bit, I know what it is. She's a flat out ringer....grrrrr.

She's been in various dance movies(Shall We Dance?, Chicago, Dirty Dancing: Havana Nights .. like it says in her bio) and she's had ballet training (what it doesn't say). She's also known for her dance moves. Usually ringers don't bother me but all this does for some reason.
    Tom was asked about that and it was brought up on various entertainment shows. They're onto the ringer conspiracies just like the fans Reason #1 I was hoping she'd be paired with Louis. Nothing against Dmitry, but I'd prefer to see the vets do well this season. However, I think she's going to do very well and probably will be one of the pre-season favorites to win. I was actually surprised how much praise she's been getting, at least on the forums. I wasn't sure if she was still a really recognizable name. Ringer aside, she still has to get through the popularity part of the contest. I have my doubts Lil Kim did all that well in the actual vote, and I think the same might happen for Mya, unless she builds up a fan base. I don't know how recognizable the cast is overall, and despite thinking they'd be going for a male winner this year, it seems the deck is stacked against the men. But yeah, if she's a Sabrina/Kristi type I'll be kind of disappointed. I didn't hear she took ballet, just tap. Tom said as long as they don't have ballroom experience it's okay. But to me, dancing is dancing.

Shall We Dance? was a ballroom movie. A really horrible one, lol, but she had to have training to be in it. Not sure what her part was though, she wasn't the star so maybe her training was minimal.

At least they learned their lesson from seasons past and aren't trying to hide anything.

If I remember correctly...Mya didn't even dance in "Shall we dance". She played the role of the girlfriend of the "big guy" who wanted to learn to dance because his girlfriend loved to dance so much. I think she was seen once in the movie, and in that scene I think she may have danced with her boyfriend for 5 seconds...if it happened at all-lol. If it did it was certainly a fleeting moment.

For years I've wondered if Mya would ever do this show. She is quite a dancer in some genres. If I remember correctly she always had a little sequence in her music videos that would showcase her dance skills, so it's easy enough to check out her videos and get a feel for what she does.Does not mean that it will translate well into others genres of dance. I'm excited to see her dance on DWTS, and I'm hoping she does well.
    Last edited by KeepItReal; 08-22-2009 at 09:31 AM.

There have been so many on the show with dance experience of some form or another that I just can't get too worked up about Mya's. I actually think she'll do very well because she's not as polarizing as Lil Kim was. Dmitry is well.... but he does seem to be a tough taskmaster, so it will be interesting to see how Mya does.
    There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats. A. Schweitzer

The DWtS curse continues. Mya sliced open her hand last night while rehearsing and needed stiches to close the wound. Sounds like whe's going on tomorrow anyway.

Mya was wonderful last night! She looked so elegant, just like Cinderella. I respect Len's opinion, because he's the only one on that panel I believe knows what traditional ballroom is. I think he knows Mya, just by looking at her, is definitely going to be tough to beat so maybe his expectations of her will be high. But, she did better than Joanna by a mile and at least deserved to score even with her last night.

And Dmitry can show off his chest anytime-I don't care if it's for a paso or a VW

I thought Mya was a pleasure to watch last night. She has definitely had more training than they are letting on because she did the Cell Block Tango in Chicago, which is no easy dance. And, wasn't Dirty Dancing II about salsa? I didn't see that one, so correct me if I'm wrong. Shall We Dance was definitely about ballroom and whether or not she danced in it, she was on set with the others and we never know what's been left on the cutting room floor.

Still, her training, or that of any of the ones before her, doesn't bother me. As said, I think she was a pleasure to watch and I'm looking forward to seeing more.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast