+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Mya - Season 9

FORT Regular

Re: Mya - Season 9

Quote Originally Posted by JavaJo;3735167;
    I have no problem with Mya being on the show. However, what I do have a problem with is who they chose to compete with her. If you are going to cast someone with extensive dance ability, then you should follow that lead and make it a whole cast stars with extensive dance background. That way it actually feels like a competition. If you aren't, then stick to stars with little or no dance history. Otherwise, it's boring and predictable.
    As Tom Bergeron said, they don't care about a level playing field.

The problem I see with trying to level the playing field is that due to the odd structure of the show, with an elimination the first week and every weak thereafter, the show needs a range of abilities, needs some expendable talent that won't be too bitter when they are among the first to leave. Ashley Hamilton said he was grateful just to be on the show. How much more humiliating would it be for an experienced dancer to be the first one booted off. It was interesting to see Priscilla Presley, but most people agree she left at about the right time.

And since the audience is told to vote not for the best dancer but for their favorite, there is no way to level the playing field there. Shawn Johnson was not the best dancer imo but had enthusiastic fan support before she set foot on the hardwood, and Warren Sapp never became a good dancer but nearly won the whole thing.

Mya may well win because her background gives her a leg up on the competition, but I don't think it's a given. Any time audience vote counts for half of something, anything can happen. Donny started out with less online poll support than Mya, but has gained on her every week and now leads her, though they are both still behind Louie Vito.

I kept thinking that Mya looks eerily like someone else famous. Then I realized: it's Janice from the Muppets! Anyone agree?

Wherever she went, including here, it was against her better judgment. --Dorothy Parker

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Reportedly Mya is doing the samba next week as one of her dances. So it looks like she might finally win over Len, Bruno will drool, CA will gush, and she may get the season's first perfect 30.

Organizing my sock drawer RBmumsie's Avatar

I knew she'd had some tap background, but I didn't realize it was that extensive. Definitely a "ringer".

That said, there's always been something about her that just bugs me - I don't know what it is, but she's never been one of my faves.
    Well-Behaved Women Seldom Make History...Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

I just don't feel any connection to her, thus I have no desire to vote for her. Yes, she is technically excellent, but that's it... and yes I'll probably be lectured by someone who will tell me that I should be voting for the dance, not the personality of the dancer, but ya know what? Tough noogies... I'll vote the way I want to.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Mya/Dmitry just bore me. I feel like underneath it all Mya may have more of an entitled attitude and bigger ego than Aaron. I'm not really digging Dmitry this season, either. Good eye candy, but other than that I find him to be a bit boring and I hope he doesn't get the token spot of always getting the young, pretty, popular females or ringers and get into Derek territory where he could just show up and get 10s (and Derek at least is a better dancer). They seem to be relying on the gimmicks too hard. I'll say it, aside from Kelly and Donny, Mya would be my 3rd choice to win but it's not a choice I'd be happy with. I just happen to prefer her over Joanna or Aaron, but it'd be a blah outcome for me.

I checked out Mya's history (I admit that I'd never heard of her before DWTS). She's definitely had dance training over several years AND exhibits natural talent. I think that including her in this season isn't any worse than including Donny Osmond (who has been performing all of his life). It sucks to compare them to the likes of and Michael and Louie (who've never really danced/performed before), but that's TV.

Even so, I still don't care for her......

I saw that Mya played the role of Mona in the film Chicago. Was that a dancing role?
    Wherever she went, including here, it was against her better judgment. --Dorothy Parker

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by BritLit;3742348;
    I kept thinking that Mya looks eerily like someone else famous. Then I realized: it's Janice from the Muppets! Anyone agree?

I think Janice is cuter though.

+ Reply to Thread