+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Mya - Season 9

signed, sealed, delivered maude~flanders's Avatar

Re: Mya - Season 9

Quote Originally Posted by Valancy;3722463;
    Wow, Harmony, I had no idea how vast her dance background was. You got me curious about her mysteriously missing bio, and I dug up her dancer bio from her website in 2002 using archive.org. There are many other archived versions of her website here, which may be worth reading through.

Playing detective is fun.
    Wow Valancy! Thanks for the link! This girl has been a professional dancer her whole life! That makes me even angrier than I was before!!

Did anyone by any chance see Jimmy Kimmel when Debi and Maka were on? Jimmy Kimmel mentioned that he had heard some of the "stars" had some dance experience... Debi spoke up immediately and said "yes!" I think Maks was afraid of what she might say, and put his hand on her shoulder and told her to "be nice". She was then only gracious in her response, but it seemed Maks was making sure she didn't get going on that topic.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Quote Originally Posted by Max64;3723270;
    Did anyone by any chance see Jimmy Kimmel when Debi and Maka were on? Jimmy Kimmel mentioned that he had heard some of the "stars" had some dance experience... Debi spoke up immediately and said "yes!" I think Maks was afraid of what she might say, and put his hand on her shoulder and told her to "be nice". She was then only gracious in her response, but it seemed Maks was making sure she didn't get going on that topic.
    I wonder if the producers have told the contestants this year to put a clamp on anyone's dance experience. After all, I doubt it was Mya's idea to remove that info from her website. While the show makes no big deal over dance experience and hiding it anymore, Tom only mentioned she took tap. That was on GMA and also in a couple pre-season interviews.

Normally, I think there might be a bigger stink raised over it. Sort of like with Kristi. But since this season doesn't have the interest, I guess no one even cares to pick up on it (the press, that is). I know we're all having fun with it here I'll wait and see, but with the double elimination weeks coming up and the audience not having a say, I don't know, I think that may dwell up controversy. It'd give them an excuse to have Mya in the bottom 3 if that's where she really is and save her.

Quote Originally Posted by karalott;3720082;
    Count me in as not being overly happy or being able to root for these two solely because Mya being a ringer takes the ultimate crown. Even Kristi wasn't as good. Mya/Dmitry are lovely and fun to watch, but why does she look so shocked when she gets complimented? She knows she did great, and I'm glad Len is there because I think he is calling her and him out and holds them to a different level. A nice rumba it was, but 2 10's it wasn't. And CA is such a hypocrite when it comes to the lifts. I so want someone to call her out the next time she tries and dings them and sees the reaction. They'll obviously be on her list but I'd raise a big stink considering it's the only thing she can figure out to take off for.
    ITA! CA is a complete hypocrite regarding those lifts. Something else she makes a big deal about is the "emotional" side of the dance or "feelings". Puleeezzzz! That makes me sick when she does that.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Quote Originally Posted by n4692u;3723379;
    ITA! CA is a complete hypocrite regarding those lifts. Something else she makes a big deal about is the "emotional" side of the dance or "feelings". Puleeezzzz! That makes me sick when she does that.
    Here's what gets me: in the relay foxtrot with the ladies, CA calls Maks out for doing a lift with Debi, knowing she can't take off for it (probably the exact reason he did it). She takes off a lift of Kelly's during her regular VW. Last season, when Shawn/Mark did one of their routines (it might have been their waltz) Mark picked Shawn up and carried her off the floor at the end. CA says she was debating but figured it was part of the routine. No penalty. She says she was too mezmerized by Mya to know if there really was a lift. It all goes back to, why does she feel the need to bring it up?! Does she think everyone at home is as obsessed with lifts as she is, and is afraid she'll get a flood of angry letters if she doesn't explain herself? I pay attention to the feet, but I never notice any lifts. And if there are? As long as they aren't intentional, maybe she can cut someone a break that their foot slipped. Aside from calling her out on being a hypocrite, how about a celeb saying that they were so nervous about lifting their foot even one cm off the ground that's why they're routine stunk.

Just a thought here, but any chance they casted Mya to jazz up the show with having no intention of her "winning"? The cast is kind of weak, especially as far a dance ability goes. Maybe they needed someone good from the get go to raise the bar for everyone else.... Makes for a better competition, gives people a chace to root for the underdog. Kind of another Gilles, making it to the finals and then having someone else take the trophy. I know it sounds crazy, but with how reality shows go, I wouldn't put it past them.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Max64;3723470;
    Just a thought here, but any chance they casted Mya to jazz up the show with having no intention of her "winning"? The cast is kind of weak, especially as far a dance ability goes. Maybe they needed someone good from the get go to raise the bar for everyone else.... Makes for a better competition, gives people a chace to root for the underdog. Kind of another Gilles, making it to the finals and then having someone else take the trophy. I know it sounds crazy, but with how reality shows go, I wouldn't put it past them.

Last year when there was such an immediate stink on the different boards about Melissa's childhood ballet lessons, that combined with a couple of the pros' assinine murmurings that she was as good as they were (yeah, right) brought out Tom's radio interview remark that they didn't give a d*** about "an even playing field." What this told me also which is even more important relevant to this issue is that the producers keep a pulse on what is being discussed on the boards.

They are going to know - if not right now - in short order is that there is a huge controversy over Mya. Frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if they weren't waiting for it to be discovered....or guess what??....maybe they even planned this! Maybe this was supposed to create controversy and drama.

At first I thought Dimitry was being rewarded with an excellent contender and a chance to go to the very top as a "new" pro winner; however, the more I think about it, the more I think this one might have been more cleverly planned. The producers KNEW that Mya's background would be discovered. There are people on this board that are good at this kind of background work; there are new folks who are discovering they enjoy the detective work, and then you have the Bachelor sleuths who love this kind of stuff!

I think this is working out just the way that the producers want.

Will Mya win? I think she is going to the F3 for sure; however, if there is a big enough stink about her experience, then she won't be F1. A professional dancer of the same status as the pros winning is enough to turn people off from watching the show. While the producers can and do want controversy/drama, that is not the kind of outcome they want.
    Dear paranoid people who check behind their shower curtains for murderers, if you do find one, what's your plan?

signed, sealed, delivered maude~flanders's Avatar

But, Melissa was a last minute replacement last year and was only on the show to get the viewers who were her die-hard fans. Plus, she had nothing even close to the experience that Mya has had. She is called a professional dancer and choreographer! Come on! She is more experienced than some of the pros!

Personally, I like a "weak" cast. The potential for them to improve is there. If I wanted to watch a bunch of professional dancers dance, I would watch all of those ballroom competitions on PBS, etc... The fun thing on this show is watching total clutzy, loveable stars learning to dance.

FORT Fan

I enjoy watching the weaker cast members trying to learn to dance too, especially the ones who are working hard at it. I DVR the show and I FF all of Mya's dances. I'm not interested in watching her. For that matter, I'm also not interested in watching her partner.

I think I may have made the comment up thread about it being a "weak" cast. And I meant more of less popular cast members than dance ability. I agree with you also, I don't enjoy watching the "Mya's" either. I like to watch the ones that develop over time. I think this week will be a whole new ball game. It seems as if the athletes competitive nature kicks in and they start to improve a great deal, giving the others a run for their money. I think Natalie is going to do really well, and I really hope Louie improves this week, I want him to stick around for a while.

+ Reply to Thread