+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Mya - Season 9

signed, sealed, delivered maude~flanders's Avatar

Re: Mya - Season 9

I agree that I have a hard time enjoying her dancing because she is a dancer. It is hard to think she is doing really great when she is doing what she has always done.
    When I watch someone like Melissa Joan Hart do a great dance, I'm excited for her because I know it doesn't come natural and she worked hard to get there.
    With Mya, I just feel like I am watching a professional dance pair.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Count me in as not being overly happy or being able to root for these two solely because Mya being a ringer takes the ultimate crown. Even Kristi wasn't as good. Mya/Dmitry are lovely and fun to watch, but why does she look so shocked when she gets complimented? She knows she did great, and I'm glad Len is there because I think he is calling her and him out and holds them to a different level. A nice rumba it was, but 2 10's it wasn't. And CA is such a hypocrite when it comes to the lifts. I so want someone to call her out the next time she tries and dings them and sees the reaction. They'll obviously be on her list but I'd raise a big stink considering it's the only thing she can figure out to take off for.

For once I wish they would have celebs that have nearly no prior experience with dancing experience, this would make a more interesting show. Maybe they're afraid the competition would be too dull.

Mya, didn't think the Rumba was that good last night, was boring for me.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

At the very least get the celebs on somewhat equal footing and those who want to be there. How bad does it suck to be Jonathan, Tony, and Edyta and always get the miserable clunkers who have no chance while others get the ringers or at least a partner that is fun and has potential to be worked with.

With Mya, her rumba was nice, but she can already dance. As some have already said, it looked like two dancers dancing. Mya could be in the pro competition. Yet when Natalie and Louie did their rumbas that was a moment you could sit back and say "wow, they did it!" Assuming you liked their rumbas of course

FORT Fogey

I guess I'm in the minority here. I love her dancing, and don't care that she's had other training. Ballroom is it's own dance style, and she has to learn it just like everyone else. Sure, it comes more naturally to her, but that's a chance they take with every celebrity who has had dance training. They're not hiding it or downplaying it, so I don't have a problem with it. Since this contest is as much or more about popularity rather than skill, I think the it all evens out in the end. Not many people know who she is, so that's where she struggles on the show.

sdl

Quote Originally Posted by graycat11;3720156;
    For once I wish they would have celebs that have nearly no prior experience with dancing experience, this would make a more interesting show. Maybe they're afraid the competition would be too dull.

Mya, didn't think the Rumba was that good last night, was boring for me.
    Every time I hear that British voice say, "Dancing the Rumba......" I immediately groan because it is such a boring dance. I wish they would just get rid of it. Seems like it's never any good.
    Having said that, My'a actually demonstrated for me - for the first time ever - what the dance is about. I had an, "ah ha" moment. So thank you My'a for the education.
    But.......the reason she did it right for the first time in the history of the show is because she's a freakin' professional dancer and choreographer! Duh! It really bothers me that Louie Vito can't spell ballroom yet, Natalie Coughlin is still trying to get used to moving without swim fins, and My'a is giving a workshop in her chosen profession.
    I'll never vote for her.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by sdl;3721109;
    Every time I hear that British voice say, "Dancing the Rumba......" I immediately groan because it is such a boring dance. I wish they would just get rid of it. Seems like it's never any good.
    Having said that, My'a actually demonstrated for me - for the first time ever - what the dance is about. I had an, "ah ha" moment. So thank you My'a for the education.
    But.......the reason she did it right for the first time in the history of the show is because she's a freakin' professional dancer and choreographer! Duh! It really bothers me that Louie Vito can't spell ballroom yet, Natalie Coughlin is still trying to get used to moving without swim fins, and My'a is giving a workshop in her chosen profession.
    I'll never vote for her.
    Everything about that rumba was sensual and gorgeous. Since she is a professional dancer and choreographer, though, I have to question who choreographed the dance?
    Take my advice. I am not using it.

Who is John Galt?

Personally, I'd rather see people who have some ability to learn ballroom dancing, whether they are skilled at other dance genre's or not. I do not like seeing the ones who stumble around and don't seem to improve from week to week.

FORT Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by SpringMaiden27;3720948;
    I guess I'm in the minority here. I love her dancing, and don't care that she's had other training. Ballroom is it's own dance style, and she has to learn it just like everyone else. Sure, it comes more naturally to her, but that's a chance they take with every celebrity who has had dance training. They're not hiding it or downplaying it, so I don't have a problem with it. Since this contest is as much or more about popularity rather than skill, I think the it all evens out in the end. Not many people know who she is, so that's where she struggles on the show.
    That's true! By the way for the people talking in this thread that does not know anything about Mya, she's a tapper and she did not make a career out it. She's been an R&B singer since the age of 18. She has never been a professional dancer, she's a singer that dances in her video and concerts. And the style of R&B she sings (closer to dance pop music), she would not make it if she could not dance; no one would go to her concerts because most fast music R&B singers have to be able to entertain through dancing. At least she did not hire a ballroom teacher like Donny Osmond. I guess his blatant cheating is excusable huh!

According to Maya's own website (before her bio mysteriously was taken down), she started ballet at the age of 2 and then tap and jazz at the age of 4 around the age of 10 to 14 (sources vary on the age and her site didn't make it clear) she was being couched by none other than Savion Glover (who gave her a solo spot in a Kennedy Center performance when she was 14) and was entering dance competitions with her brother. She was a dancer way before she was a singer, it was dancing that led her to singing which she didn't cut her first demo till she was 15. I would definitely consider her a professional dancer.

But none of that is available for public consumption on her website anymore. Sort of fishy, don't you think? Why would somebody take her bio down? It was there a couple of weeks ago and now it's not.

I remember all this because a co-worker and I got into an argument about whether or not she was a ringer lol and he finally had to concede that she was indeed one.

By the way, anybody got any proof that she's a choreographer of anything other than her own stuff? I am not sure that's a title she should have on her as a reason for being a ringer since I've yet to locate any evidence of that or the one stating she teaches dancing.
    Last edited by Harmony2000; 10-08-2009 at 05:23 AM.

+ Reply to Thread