+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Melissa Joan Hart - Season 9

FORT Regular

Re: Melissa Joan Hart - Season 9

Mark acted like Kim had a disease. She is famous for a sex tape but it rubbed me the wrong way that he was so nice to partners people liked but was cold to a partner who people did not like. It is easy to be nice to fan favorites but it says more if can be sweet to ones people might not like.

Thank you! I thought I was alone in Melissa's attitude. She seems to be trying so hard to stay relevant. I hope she is a shocking boot like in week 2. But I bet she was like secretly taking ballroom dance classes or something. She seems like that type.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

I guess I agree with whoever it was that said something about Melissa anymore screams desperation. I don't know if that's it or what, but while she's still in the spotlight she doesn't seem to really be at the level she once was as a teen idol. And the whole bikini magazine weight loss cover, it's been overdone, and maybe just thinking they'd pick her of all people to lead a cover story like that had me shaking my head. Hadn't Valerie Bertinelli had a cover like that just 2 weeks prior to Melissa's coming out?

I don't know how Mark lucked out, but this is one pair I hope goes soon. Not so much for Melissa, but thinking back to Mark's freestyle and his god awful Lindy Hop, that's enough to make me want to fast forward through his routines this year. I know she's got the nostaliga factor going on, but hopefully she doesn't come off as expected and gets an early boot. And this is one couple I think may go in expecting the excellence, high marks, and praise every week from the judges then turn sour when they don't get it.

FORT Regular

Mark's an overrated pro and his dances were so overrated. How did Gilles and Cheryl lose? Their argentine tango was miles ahead of their cha cha.

Melissa will be twittering every second to be the spotlight. Mark gives off that same attention seeking attitude so that must be why they were put together. I hope she sucks because how great to see Mark leave early. Karma for the show giving him a partner who will be popular. I do not think he is more popular than Cheryl, Maks or say Derek so why do they give him good partners every season?

Melissa probably will complain and Mark and Shawn got a bit pissy last year with their scores. I can see them whining when they get less than stellar scores.

Happy to have found folks who do not like Melissa. I liked her on Clarissa but she got annoying when she grew up.

FORT Regular

How did Gilles and Cheryl lose?
    Lack of fanbase ? Dont tell me you were expecting a raunchy Z-lister like Gilles(whose claim to fame is....uhh showing his backside in SATC??) to beat out an accomplished gymnast with legions of fans like Shawn.

I do find it a little immature you are wishing bad karma on Melissa just because of who her pro is. However Melissa actually has the fanbase and name recognition unlike the nobody Gilles,so theres no way she will get the early boot, so keep wishing. Also i hope she can dance very well so your hopes backfire even more.

FORT Regular

I know why Shawn won. But it is sad to see Gilles lose and people did not vote on the dancing.

No, I do not like Melissa either. I liked her when she was younger. There are plenty of others hoping bad karma for other pro dancers too so it is not any different.

I know Melissa is popular and my wish will not happen. I do not like her but not delusional and know there is no way she is leaving early.

I look forward to seeing her on the show. I enjoyed her show Sabrina the Teenage Witch. Wonder what she'll be like as a dancer. She's also one of the few celebrities I recognize this season.

Quote Originally Posted by cousin_oliver;3676567;
    I know Melissa is popular and my wish will not happen. I do not like her but not delusional and know there is no way she is leaving early.
    She's only popular with a vague undefined generation who was the right age at the right time.

Two key demographics--the over 35s and the under 20s--probably only vaguely know, or care, who she is.

In a world filled with Miley Cyrus and Jonas brothers fans, MJH's "pre-teen/teen" fandom is long past.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

FORT Regular

Over 35 fans is an advantage. The more older viewers know you, the better. Unlike American Idol where younger viewers vote.

Quote Originally Posted by cousin_oliver;3684366;
    Over 35 fans is an advantage. The more older viewers know you, the better. Unlike American Idol where younger viewers vote.
    I didn't say she has over 35s.

I said she DOESN'T have them.

Along with those "under 20s".

Sabrina the Teenaged Witch ran from 1996 to 2000. If we roughly figure that the age of her biggest fandom during the run of that were early teens when it started, then they are now in their mid twenties. Given some wiggle room on either side, that would tend to argue her fanbase, such as it is, ranged from 20-30 years of age. The occasional younger viewer might have caught her near the end of the show's run, or in repeats, but that won't be her "base".

Clarissa Explains It All ran from 1991 to 1994. It's fanbase were pre-teens. The math works out similarly to Sabrina (maybe a tiny bit older, but not much). Heck, even if a few kids as old as 14 or 15 were watching the show at the beginning, the numbers don't change all that much. It's still not that "over 35" group.

And of all possible ages, I think people in their 20s have that combination of being least nostalgic, most prone to having moved on to "cooler things", and are also the least likely to be watching this show in the first place.

She doesn't have The Disney Generation, the Saved By The Bell Generation, or the Partridge Family Generation. She's got a spot between those first two which is the weakest position to be in, because overall as a group, they've got other things to do. In a few more years they'll drift back because of nostalgia, but I doubt most of them are there yet.

MJH herself is 33. So perhaps to be fair we should push her potential fandom all the way up to her age, or maybe even a little bit beyond. That's STILL "under 35".
    Last edited by Krom; 08-30-2009 at 04:10 PM.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

I had heard of MJH, but I didn't know who she was. My 23 yr old daughter did. I was dubbing my Christmas movies that I have taped on VHS on to DVDs today and I just happened to notice that MJH and Mario Lopez starred in Holiday in Handcuffs. I remembered him the first time I saw the movie, but I did not know her.

Frankly, I am not real familiar with a lot of the stars this season, but a lot more than I did last season. Last season, I knew Melissa and LT and that's it. I'm just not a real big TV series person and I don't watch a lot of sports. The only tv shows that I am faithful to watch is DWTS and The Bachelor/ette. With other shows, it is just hit or miss.

She's not going to be one of my favorites, because I don't want Mark to win again and that's that.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast