+ Reply to Thread
Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1415161718192021222324

Thread: Mark Dacascos - Season 9

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Re: 11/10 Results Show Discussion Thread **Spoilers*

Quote Originally Posted by Wind Dancer;3750290;
    I personally would be in favor of a show titled "Dancing With Gilles."
    I second that . ABC has always hyped up their other shows by having the cast members sit within camera range, often looking on with bored smile, in the audience. Gilles is on Brothers/Sisters, can't they at least make him come every week? Frankly, I could care less if he dances. I said before, just keep the camera on him for 2 hours...

This is exactly why the show railroaded Mark. He never got the credit for the Paso Doble that he should have, and the Jitterbug, they won't even let him do it for the finale. I know exactly why. It was so good, that it's going to show up anything the stiff old man or the lead foot or the bimbo can do. Funny how no one was bored with that Jitterbug. It should have been the clear winner week 6, but was tied with Krupa's waltz mess.

And yes, Donny Osmond had to pay somebody to be on the show, for sure. The guy is a terrible dancer.
    Donny Osmond is an entertaiment legend. A lot more people will know of him and his family long after they're gone from this Earth. I'm sure the show was happy to have him aboard, especially in a season with no star power. I'll give you this, the entire Melissa Rycroft army of fans last year has nothing on your obsession with Mark. Either that, or you just like to get people going by slamming everyone else.

And if anyone got railroaded this season, I'd say it was Natalie.

Donny and Kelly are very recognizable names. Derek is really the most popular pro and by far a fantastic choreographer. I doubt the show would be entirely happy if they had a finale of Mark, Debi, and Chuck. I'm going to enjoy the finale, hoping for Donny/Kym to win, though I'm still betting on Mya/Dmitry. But I have 2 favorites going into next week, with likely Kelly going home, but I'll enjoy Donny/Kym when they make it to the finals. Of course, I'm still hoping for a shocker next week and either Mya or Joanna going home.
    Last edited by karalott; 11-14-2009 at 04:39 PM.

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by sdl;3750355;
    I don't understand the logic behind these arguments.
    Are you saying that Mark was so awesome that they got people not to vote for him so they could keep the worst dancers around? And they are now afraid to let him do the Jitterbug when they bring the also-rans back for the finale because they fear his greatness will reveal their evil plot?
    And Donnie is such an unknown compared with mega-stars like Ashley Hamilton and Mark who's last name I still can't pronounce or spell, that HE had to pay to get on the show?
    Nah.
    This show is ultimately about ratings - putting on the worst people is not good for ratings.

Here's the Logic. Mark had momentum weeks 5 and weeks 6. Then the show decided not to be fair to the guy and make him a freakin dancing bear in 48 hours. That's not good sportsmanship, that's cutting him off at the knees. Where is the Encore for week 6? Why was there encores every other week??

Just to illustrate the point, on Battle of the Blades last week, the pro couldn't do the routine, she hurt her back in practise. Now this team skated/danced on the Sunday along with 2 other finalists. They, along with another team were bottom 2, another team was clearly safe from the fan vote . They had to do a dance off.

So, the show said, okay let's leave it to the judges, either you look at the practise or rehearsal tape, and determine a score, or you get a substitute pro in, or whatever you determine. This team had been in danger a few times already of going home.

Here's what was determined: The judges believed that any late substitution or any practise tapes was unfair to the team.

All teams were deemed "safe", and the finale would be with 3 couples instead of two. They would dance again next week.

Since all teams had prepared a dance off the two others did the dance off for entertainment only, so the show went on, and the other teams were happy to have Marie France get better so she could dance at her best. All of the teams felt that

Winning against someone who's not at their best is a hollow win.

"Battle of the Blades?" Never head of it; not at all clear what it has to do with DWTS.

Mark can always take a public position that he was wronged by the producers/judges. He has not. In TV "Q" terms, it's now ancient history. I'll leave his legacy to the Food Network and whatever other forum is appropriate for commenting on their shows.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Quote Originally Posted by Andiemywestie;3750442;
    Which probably sums up about every DWTS victory, depending on whose camp you were in at the time. DWTS has always been based on popularity. That's what happens when you let the fans vote, even with the judges scores counting for half. But I doubt the show would be as successful without the fan vote, just like AI may not have all the tweens who text 50,000 times for their favorite if it was left up to the judges. I didn't like this season with the DO and I don't like the finale when the judges score the absolute last dance and there's no audience vote. But then people cry about there being no credibility when the worst dancers keep advancing. That's really all a matter of opinion in itself, too, and a whole different argument. It's a fun show about D-list clunkers with a few that can actually move dancing. With the exception of Mario/Karina, Maks losing to Helio, and Joey believing only 1% seperated him and Apolo, no one's ever lost sleep over losing this show.
    Last edited by karalott; 11-14-2009 at 07:01 PM.

sdl

Quote Originally Posted by Andiemywestie;3750442;
    Here's the Logic. Mark had momentum weeks 5 and weeks 6. Then the show decided not to be fair to the guy and make him a freakin dancing bear in 48 hours. That's not good sportsmanship, that's cutting him off at the knees. Where is the Encore for week 6? Why was there encores every other week??

Just to illustrate the point, on Battle of the Blades last week, the pro couldn't do the routine, she hurt her back in practise. Now this team skated/danced on the Sunday along with 2 other finalists. They, along with another team were bottom 2, another team was clearly safe from the fan vote . They had to do a dance off.

So, the show said, okay let's leave it to the judges, either you look at the practise or rehearsal tape, and determine a score, or you get a substitute pro in, or whatever you determine. This team had been in danger a few times already of going home.

Here's what was determined: The judges believed that any late substitution or any practise tapes was unfair to the team.

All teams were deemed "safe", and the finale would be with 3 couples instead of two. They would dance again next week.

Since all teams had prepared a dance off the two others did the dance off for entertainment only, so the show went on, and the other teams were happy to have Marie France get better so she could dance at her best. All of the teams felt that

Thank you for the explanation.
    Here is my logic:
    Various people encounter illnesses or injuries during the course of the season. Substitutions are made or they use rehearsal footage, and those people generally don't score well with the judges - who have to score "what they see."
    But the fans, if they are popular, almost always save them because there is concern and sympathy. Melissa Rycroft once had to be judged on early, crude rehearsal footage, and got the lowest score, but was saved. Even Steve-O, kind of a loser and a bad dancer, got a sympathy save when he couldn't dance. Joanna had to dance with Maks when Derek got sick - safe.
    In fact, I can't remember anyone but Mark getting eliminated on the week when they had an issue.
    I don't have a conspiracy theory for Mark. My explanation is much more simple and reasonable. He is a nice, boring guy. I learned that he was a really wooden actor once I was able to locate anything he was ever in. He can't cook. He is into martial arts, but not the kind (MMA, like Chuck Lidell) that is popular today.
    Overall, Mark was an upper middle of the pack dancer with a tiny - but very vocal - fan base. So he went home.
    To make sense of that doesn't require me to find fault with every other contestant, hidden deals between ABC and Playboy, or money under the table from the Osmond family.

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Peacheater;3750445;
    "Battle of the Blades?" Never head of it; not at all clear what it has to do with DWTS.

Mark can always take a public position that he was wronged by the producers/judges. He has not. In TV "Q" terms, it's now ancient history. I'll leave his legacy to the Food Network and whatever other forum is appropriate for commenting on their shows.
    Oh, you'll hear of Battle of the Blades, because that lame ass ABC is looking to do a Dance skating show, and if they're smart, they'll use this template. Otherwise it'll be another show going down the toilet like DWTS.. the 18-49 demo is tanking big time every week, and that's the demo that has the most purchasing power.

sdl

Quote Originally Posted by karalott;3750608;
    DWTS has always struggled with that demographic, which is why they felt the need to pull all these gimmicks of cross casting younger pros (I love Chelsie but wouldn't mind if Lacey and Dmitry took a break next season-and quite honestly Mark and Derek, or at least Mark, can join them), adding new dances, working the couples to death, putting in DOs, having a dreaded group dance with hip hop, clunkers, and controversial celebs. It's all backfired but I figure if that don't have that demo now, they likely won't ever have it to the extent they want it. As someone in that demo, I'm enjoying Donny very much
    Whenever I watch this show, I start out not knowing anything about 3/4 of the contestants. There are others I think I may know, but haven't thought about in a long time.
    So I read up on them, watch youtube, talk to people, and try to get an appreciation of who they are and what, if anything, they did to get there.
    First, I want to agree with you that Donny Osmond was the biggest "star" cast on DWTS this season. Michael Irvin would likely be second in terms of name recognition, followed by Kelly Osbourne, Chuck Lidell and Kathy Ireland. Maybe MJH. The rest were complete cannon fodder.
    The strange thing is that I was predisposed not to like Donny - even his Wikipedia page talks about how "unhip" it is to be a fan of Donny Osmond. Kind of like Barry Manilow - nobody I know will admit to liking his music but most of them own a CD.
    What I learned about Donny is that he's a serious guy, born into an entertainment empire and a lifetime product of it. He is a religious guy and a good family man. He is the pillar of that huge family now. And he does it with grace and dignity. He is thoughtful in his speech and sincere in his actions. He could have easily gone off the tracks, like MJ, a long time ago but he plugs along, doing the best he can in every phase of his life.
    I don't mock people like that.
    It must suck to be Donny Osmond - knowing that you're the butt of jokes from people who know absolutely nothing about you but have predetermined not to like you, to laugh at you, and to call you degrading names.
    But he handles it. And he keeps trying. He isn't the best dancer by a long shot, but he's not bad.
    He has earned my respect. I would like to think that those who "hate" him have given as much thought to their opinions.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by sdl;3750635;
    Whenever I watch this show, I start out not knowing anything about 3/4 of the contestants. There are others I think I may know, but haven't thought about in a long time.
    So I read up on them, watch youtube, talk to people, and try to get an appreciation of who they are and what, if anything, they did to get there.
    First, I want to agree with you that Donny Osmond was the biggest "star" cast on DWTS this season. Michael Irvin would likely be second in terms of name recognition, followed by Kelly Osbourne, Chuck Lidell and Kathy Ireland. Maybe MJH. The rest were complete cannon fodder.
    The strange thing is that I was predisposed not to like Donny - even his Wikipedia page talks about how "unhip" it is to be a fan of Donny Osmond. Kind of like Barry Manilow - nobody I know will admit to liking his music but most of them own a CD.
    What I learned about Donny is that he's a serious guy, born into an entertainment empire and a lifetime product of it. He is a religious guy and a good family man. He is the pillar of that huge family now. And he does it with grace and dignity. He is thoughtful in his speech and sincere in his actions. He could have easily gone off the tracks, like MJ, a long time ago but he plugs along, doing the best he can in every phase of his life.
    I don't mock people like that.
    It must suck to be Donny Osmond - knowing that you're the butt of jokes from people who know absolutely nothing about you but have predetermined not to like you, to laugh at you, and to call you degrading names.
    But he handles it. And he keeps trying. He isn't the best dancer by a long shot, but he's not bad.
    He has earned my respect. I would like to think that those who "hate" him have given as much thought to their opinions.
    Mellow and easy listening as it may be, Barry Manilow is still a blast from my past, and I like him even though I do not have one of his CDs.
    I'll admit to humming along when one of his tunes comes on over a public intercom.
    Take my advice. I am not using it.

+ Reply to Thread