+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 24 FirstFirst ... 89101112131415161718192021222324 LastLast

Thread: Mark Dacascos - Season 9

FORT Fogey

Re: Mark Dacascos - Season 9

Quote Originally Posted by Bloomers;3741237;
    I like that Mark is very attentive to what is being said to him whether it is to a judge or to his partner. He strikes me as the kind of person that when you are talking to him, you are the very center of his universe for that moment in time. In my estimation, this character trait which makes people feel "special" is shared by very few, including myself whose mind has the definite tendency to want to race ahead.

Perhaps the tendency for Mark to show too little expressive emotion relates to the martial arts which may be given to the drama and haughtiness of the paso but are certainly not given to joy, romantic love, or angst of some of the other dances.
    Bloomers--hi. that's a very good point.

It doesn't make his dances more enjoyable however. They seem somewhat mechanical because there is all that emotion missing.

For me--one of my major criteria for how well a dance is done is how much emotion is expressed.

All I have to do is think of Gilles' tango and that makes Mark--unfortunately--seem like a very young person trying to express the complex emotions of love gained and lost--and the cynicism that accompanies such losses--feel like watching a newlywed couple trying to talk about "how to have a long marriage."

Mark is an adult who has been through at least some of the trials and tribulations of adulthood.

And yet his emotional quotient for his dances is even lower than Aaron's.

I'd love to see Mark grow and bloom in this area--it would make his dancing so much richer.

IMO only of course.

I like Mark and I thought he'd be doing a lot better in this competition.
    I'm not a big Lacey fan, so I am hoping that his teaming with Annha will be a good one.
    I do think he's shown a lot of improvement, but so far I just haven't really felt his dancing.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

FORT Fogey

NoReality--hi. I too thought that with his very athletic background he'd be doing a lot better by this point.

I do like to watch him move--because he has total control over his body which very few people have--and I'd love to see his emotional expressiveness match his physical demeanor.

I remember how he looked when his kids came to visit in the middle of a rehearsal. His face just changed totally. You could see the love he has for them in his shining eyes.

I'd like to see him translate some of that into expressiveness for his dances.

I remember some of the discussions that all of us had about this topic and Gilles' dancing. Actors learn how to pour unspoken emotion into every move they make. And Gilles does that superbly.

Maybe Gilles could give Mark some lessons in this? I mean that in a respectful way. Mark could be super if he could bring emotional content to his dancing.

IMO only of course.
    Last edited by Wind Dancer; 11-02-2009 at 05:10 PM.

sdl

Quote Originally Posted by Wind Dancer;3741438;
    Bloomers--hi. that's a very good point.

It doesn't make his dances more enjoyable however. They seem somewhat mechanical because there is all that emotion missing.

For me--one of my major criteria for how well a dance is done is how much emotion is expressed.

All I have to do is think of Gilles' tango and that makes Mark--unfortunately--seem like a very young person trying to express the complex emotions of love gained and lost--and the cynicism that accompanies such losses--feel like watching a newlywed couple trying to talk about "how to have a long marriage."

Mark is an adult who has been through at least some of the trials and tribulations of adulthood.

And yet his emotional quotient for his dances is even lower than Aaron's.

I'd love to see Mark grow and bloom in this area--it would make his dancing so much richer.

IMO only of course.
    I agree with what all of you are saying, but I don't think it's the martial arts background. It's just his personality.
    I've watched a lot of interviews with Mark and he is a very serious guy. Quiet and sincere. Seeing him in that way actually made me like him.
    But the thing that stood out in his interviews was that he is not an emotional person. He missed a lot of the "give and take" with some of the more glib interviewers because he thinks very literally.
    For example, the interviewer would make a joke and Mark would look at him, and ask him to repeat the question. He was trying very hard to give an honest answer and didn't get that the question was supposed to be funny.
    Again, it made me sympathetic to him because he seemed like such a nice guy, but totally out of place in Hollywood.
    I've seen clips of his movies and they are no different - a single dimension.
    In light of that, I think he has made huge strides in trying to get into the spirit of the competition, and is one of the most improved dancers.

FORT Fogey

SDL--thanks so much for that info on Mark. It sounds like--from what you've seen/heard of Mark--that the way he opened up emotionally when his kids came to his rehearsal was very unusual for him to do.

I like reserved people too--but not on the dancefloor.

For me Gilles is the gold standard for emotional content in dance. I would love to see him give Mark some tips on how to open up. There are a lot of actors' exercises that could help him with this. Visualizations and role-playing etc.

That--in addition to his great technical improvements--could make him a possibly unbeatable contender.

sdl

Quote Originally Posted by Wind Dancer;3741568;
    SDL--thanks so much for that info on Mark. It sounds like--from what you've seen/heard of Mark--that the way he opened up emotionally when his kids came to his rehearsal was very unusual for him to do.

I like reserved people too--but not on the dancefloor.

For me Gilles is the gold standard for emotional content in dance. I would love to see him give Mark some tips on how to open up. There are a lot of actors' exercises that could help him with this. Visualizations and role-playing etc.

That--in addition to his great technical improvements--could make him a possibly unbeatable contender.
    You reminded me of another thing I like about Mark - he's friends with Gilles and I believe that Gilles is a genuinely nice guy.
    Having said that, in my opinion, Gilles is the greatest dancer/performer ever to appear on this show and there isn't enough time in a season, or a lifetime, for anyone to learn what came so naturally to him.
    He just had "it" and Mark doesn't, but neither does anyone else this season so it's a horse race.

FORT Fanatic

Why on earth would anyone compare Mark with Gilles? The person more likely to compare is someone like Apolo or Kristi, because of their mixed Asian heritages are so much less demonstrative and emotive than a passionate Frenchman.

Having said that, I absolutely adored Mark on the Paso Doble and the Jitterbug...two extremely different styles, and yet he was spot on with the emotion and joy necessary.

I loved Gilles, but you know...he did blow a few things on the dance floor. He wasn't perfect. I was watching back the Team Tango and he was so emotional in it but his footwork was worth "stank" you never ever hop around or forget heel leads. In point of fact Ty for his stiffness got the footwork right. He also wasn't quite right on the Viennese Waltz, too angular, and the Jive had some "squirrel" arms...a joke yeah, but I had to agree...of course he was compensating for injury. The thing is, no beginner is perfect. Even Gilles Marini, my all time favorite dancer.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Andiemywestie;3741635;
    Why on earth would anyone compare Mark with Gilles? The person more likely to compare is someone like Apolo or Kristi, because of their mixed Asian heritages are so much less demonstrative and emotive than a passionate Frenchman.

Having said that, I absolutely adored Mark on the Paso Doble and the Jitterbug...two extremely different styles, and yet he was spot on with the emotion and joy necessary.

I loved Gilles, but you know...he did blow a few things on the dance floor. He wasn't perfect. I was watching back the Team Tango and he was so emotional in it but his footwork was worth "stank" you never ever hop around or forget heel leads. In point of fact Ty for his stiffness got the footwork right. He also wasn't quite right on the Viennese Waltz, too angular, and the Jive had some "squirrel" arms...a joke yeah, but I had to agree...of course he was compensating for injury. The thing is, no beginner is perfect. Even Gilles Marini, my all time favorite dancer.

I compared Mark to Gilles because Gilles is my gold standard for how a non-dancer becomes a most excellent dancer.

And since I was discussing Mark's lack of emotional expressiveness Gilles was the pefect comparision to make.

FORT Fanatic

If a gold standard is for a natural dancer to become an excellent dancer, then that makes dance for a person for whom dance is not natural unattainable. That's not a standard that I would ever expect from my students. I want them to love and enjoy dance. That's why Emmit Smith was such a great winner in season three.

In that light, None of the celebrities, even Gilles could be a professional dancer without many years of professional training.

For me, learning to dance, and making the audience smile with a degree of professionalism and polish would be the ultimate goal of this show.

FORT Fogey

Last night Mark surprised me by actually expressing some emotion during his dance. I wonder if it was because he had had such a difficult week that his usual reservedness was just stripped away and he didn't try to stop his emotions from coming through?

It was the most expressive dance I've seen him do so far.

+ Reply to Thread