+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Kelly Osbourne - Season 9

FORT Fanatic

Re: Kelly Osbourne - Season 9

Quote Originally Posted by Wind Dancer;3711117;
    Um...because none of that is Ballroom Dancing?
    And the point is people were led to believe she had no prior dance experience. Not cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Andiemywestie;3711181;
    Ah it didn't say Jazzercise, it says Hip Hop and Ballet --yeah, LOTS different.
    This isn't the first crass manipulation by the show and it won't be the last. Louis Van Amstel just taught a little rise and fall, not be her knight in shining armour. It was laid on just a little took thick to be real.
    No it said exercise classes at a gym that consist of Hip Hop and Ballet. Big difference between that and taking actual dance instruction like Donny has done in preparation for a "show" for the past year.

I'm the first to holler ringer (see my comments about Mya) but I just don't see how Kelly can even remotely be referred to as one. I'd need more proof than classes taken at a gym as exercise.

Oh by the way, I just googled Kelly and found the article where she says she lost a "stone". The quote from the ABC fanboard? Completely taken out of context. What she said was that she has lost a stone SINCE she's begun training for DWTS and rehearsing. The articles are actually pretty good. She talks about how she has tried all these "stupid" fad diets and nothing has worked but now since she's started dancing the weight is just pouring off and she couldn't be happier.

She's rehearsing for five hours a day as well as undertaking two Pilates classes each week.
    Last edited by Harmony2000; 09-25-2009 at 02:55 PM.

We went through this last season with Melissa; some cried outrage that she had ballet training (years ago). Actually it worked against her because ballet is very different from ballroom dancing. Len was constantly correcting and downscoring her for "balletic" moves.

Aside from ballroom dancing experience itself, I tend to consider the professional athletes as having an advantage, or anyone who practices any kind of regular exercise regimen. I've read that professional football players practice dance, and I guess that's why a number of them have done so well on this show.

I don't think it's reasonable to hold it against anyone who has stayed/become fit before coming on this show. If I was going to do it (ha!), I would train for a year and then apply.

Btw, the whole episodes are on you tube, usually in 6 parts.

I knew the minute that Kelly leaned her head back and to the side (even though I hate that stance of ballroom dancing) that her VW was going to be awesome.
    The Bachelor/Bachelorette series is a soap opera with unskilled actors, bad writing, and beautiful locations...it even edits the real moon!

Kelly is a fantastic dancer, period.

FORT Fanatic

I wouldn't say fantastic, not even close...but whatever. She gave the impression that she couldn't dance, but she obviously had prior training, and you take DANCE lessons in a Hip Hop class, not Jazzcercize, whether it's in the name of exercise or not. If she thought she was a useless cow who couldn't dance good for her she got cleaned up and proved something to herself. But she's got a long way to go in this competition, and the show really pushed the envelope on this one, making people believe she was some sort of Napolean Dynamite who, because of this show transformed into a swan..I can't swallow the hype.

I have never withheld a vote from a celebrity because they may or may not have had training in some form of dance. I find it irrelevant. Last season many viewers assumed that Gilles MUST have had dance training to be as good as he was, which was completely false.

In any case, a degree of expertise in any form of dance does not automatically imply the same in another. A ballet dancer usually cannot do tap without help or vice versa. An ice skater or gymnast have some dance training as part of the sport, but it is completely different from ballroom, even in the case of the ice dancers. Even if any of them did go for a ballroom class or two in preparation, I don't care. The same option is open to everyone.

The criteria I base my votes on are:

1. Did they dance well?
    2. Are they really trying and showing they are there to participate?
    3. Do they entertain me?
    4. Are they showing or trying to show improvement?
    5. Are they gracious?

I admit I do deviate from that in the case of bottomfeeders like Tom Delay or Heather Mills. People like that just won't ever get my vote.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Nearly all the contestants have had some type of dance lessons.............it seems, might be just a few or more.

Quote Originally Posted by Andiemywestie;3711339;
    I wouldn't say fantastic, not even close...but whatever. She gave the impression that she couldn't dance, but she obviously had prior training, and you take DANCE lessons in a Hip Hop class, not Jazzcercize, whether it's in the name of exercise or not. If she thought she was a useless cow who couldn't dance good for her she got cleaned up and proved something to herself. But she's got a long way to go in this competition, and the show really pushed the envelope on this one, making people believe she was some sort of Napolean Dynamite who, because of this show transformed into a swan..I can't swallow the hype.
    I thought she danced very well.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloomers;3710433;
    Kind of reminds me a little of a 2009 version of Eliza Doolittle being transformed from a cockney flower girl into a lady by Professor Higgins in My Fair Lady.
    That's a nice analogy!

Hmm..."The Rain in Spain" is set to a tango rhythm...maybe there's a dance in it for them!
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by MFWalkoff;3711627;
    That's a nice analogy!

Hmm..."The Rain in Spain" is set to a tango rhythm...maybe there's a dance in it for them!
    I was out working in the flowers yesterday and thinking of that when another thought occurred to me. I remember seeing pictures of Kelly in the (black) Goth mode. Compared to what she looked and danced like on Tuesday and Wednesday night, "She's a Lady" by Tom Jones might be an appropriate choice for her as well.
    What a turn around!

+ Reply to Thread