+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 28 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Joanna Krupa - Season 9

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Re: Joanna Krupa - Season 9

I tend to look at those who entertain me more. And who's the best dancer is obviously going to be a matter of opinion, because I think Mya stole the night for the ladies and that Natalie outdanced Joanna in the relay foxtrot. Kristi may have been a better dancer, but I enjoyed watching Jason and Cristian more. Same with Warren and Brooke, Warren was much better than I ever expected and he was just a joy to watch. Now this season, Aaron may have been better technically, but I enjoyed Donny, Mark, Chuck, and Aaron a lot more. I can't argue Derek isn't fantastic when he dances, it's everything in between that I don't like. And then there's Joanna. After seeing her on Superstars, reading some interviews with her, I don't buy the 'I'm really a sweet nice girl' routine. I can only imagine her reaction if she won this whole thing. I'm not entirely convinced she will, because unlike season 7, I think there are others who may take that away from her and Derek (unless of course, again, favoritism shines through). Joanna finished first, but that was out of just 8, and just the females. She has, what, 10 weeks to go? I'd love nothing more than to not see the same people dominate the leaderboard every week. It's unlikely Chuck or Louie will ever finish 1st, but Natalie, Mya, Mark, Donny, and even Debi have potential to do so. I just want to see the wealth spread, and not see the judges nitpick one couple to death but overlook another that maybe didn't have as much content to their routine, or CA overlook a lift because "it was a part of the routine". If Joanna is a good dancer, I can admit it, even if it hurts. I do think she gave the best salsa of the night, though I don't think there was a lot to the routine. But, I'm not expert, either, for what the technical aspects of the dances are. I do hope she can remain gracious and humble, but I'll be surprised if the criticism catches her off guard. This may be another Shannon/Derek no hips in the rumba moment.

Anyone who can make me feel the slightest bit of sympathy for Terrell Owens, as she did, just is not going to get any votes from me. That's where my objectivity flies out the window.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel;3711946;
    Anyone who can make me feel the slightest bit of sympathy for Terrell Owens, as she did, just is not going to get any votes from me. That's where my objectivity flies out the window.
    Everyone knew T.O. was a tool, and I don't think he cares about being known as anything other. Joanna I had never heard of prior to Superstars, and while they probably left a lot of T.O.'s bad footage on the editing room floor, I can only imagine what they left out of Joanna. And what they must have thought of her to make T.O. the sypathetic figure I guess where my issue is, again, is that Derek has never had any other type but Joanna. Jennie, Shannon, Brooke, Lil Kim-all young, athletic, and a better sense of rhythm and determination than most. He's never hard to try hard. Give him a Cloris or a Denise and maybe I'll applaud his efforts more. If he couldn't win with Kim, I have a hard time thinking he'll win with Joanna, just on popularity alone. She'll have 13 other couples to fight with this week, too, and 2 other dance types to compete with. Some of the ones that bumbled last week may very well improve and be tossed into the ring as a contender. I do worry with Len being gone and having the judging panel be an even bigger circus. But as far as Joanna goes, I probably would have just said 'meh' or considered her a little annoying if I hadn't seen her pre-show. But because I have, nothing in the world could make me root for her or even think about voting for her.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by karalott;3712054;
    Everyone knew T.O. was a tool, and I don't think he cares about being known as anything other. Joanna I had never heard of prior to Superstars, and while they probably left a lot of T.O.'s bad footage on the editing room floor, I can only imagine what they left out of Joanna. And what they must have thought of her to make T.O. the sypathetic figure I guess where my issue is, again, is that Derek has never had any other type but Joanna. Jennie, Shannon, Brooke, Lil Kim-all young, athletic, and a better sense of rhythm and determination than most. He's never hard to try hard. Give him a Cloris or a Denise and maybe I'll applaud his efforts more. If he couldn't win with Kim, I have a hard time thinking he'll win with Joanna, just on popularity alone. She'll have 13 other couples to fight with this week, too, and 2 other dance types to compete with. Some of the ones that bumbled last week may very well improve and be tossed into the ring as a contender. I do worry with Len being gone and having the judging panel be an even bigger circus. But as far as Joanna goes, I probably would have just said 'meh' or considered her a little annoying if I hadn't seen her pre-show. But because I have, nothing in the world could make me root for her or even think about voting for her.
    It was quite easy to see last season on the ABC Board that both Derek and Cheryl are huge fan favorites. The difference is that while Cheryl occasionally gets quite older men Derek always gets younger more attractive partners. Derek's fans will continue to vote for him with the younger partners as long as they are presenting well whereas Cheryl's fans will lose interest much earlier in the older partners.
    With Joanna's attitude, pehaps they should have given her to Maks.

FORT Regular

I read so much awful stuff about her and Aaron that they were so pleasant week one that I want to cheer for them. I would rather see Aaron and Karina and Joanna than Kathy or Melissa.

No one thought Lil Kim would win. She was in jail, not exactly demo friendly. Funny though that most of the pros last season rooted for her and I do not remember any pro wanting Shawn to win. Maybe the rumors of Shawn and her mother being difficult were true. Those were reported in Iowa. Shannon was hot but not fit. Shannon ended up looking a lot better than she was. Shannon was not athletic, no flexibility and she was always out of breath at the end of each routine. I mean, to the point it looked like she can barely stand up.

Joanna is not threat to win. She is not sweet like Brooke. Also, while Derek's popularity helped Brooke win but not a bias. The judges like Brooke more because she was just a better dancer. Brooke is very popular with moms who make up a significant portion of the viewers. It was just shocking that Lance was not good when he was the one with the dance experience.

My theory is that Cheryl and Derek are both very popular so the show will always give them someone with potential. If you gave Cheryl an NFL player or Derek an Olympic gold medalist, people would be up in arms. I do not think Mark Ballas is as popular so no one complains as much if gets those partners. If you give Cheryl or Derek someone who is fit enough, like a Gilles or Brooke with small fan bases, you keep them around but it does not look like favoritism. Cheryl sometimes gets the old man, but none of the younger male pros get the old women. It is not just Derek. Look at Mark. He had Kim Kardashian who is young and fit enough that she should have been good. It is not like the producers knew Kim sucked at dancing. Before that he had Kristi and Sabrina. This year as Melissa and last year Shawn. If anyone benefits from favoritism, it is probably him. Why, I have no idea because he is not so popular. Alec never had an old woman.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloomers;3712102;
    It was quite easy to see last season on the ABC Board that both Derek and Cheryl are huge fan favorites. The difference is that while Cheryl occasionally gets quite older men Derek always gets younger more attractive partners. Derek's fans will continue to vote for him with the younger partners as long as they are presenting well whereas Cheryl's fans will lose interest much earlier in the older partners.
    With Joanna's attitude, pehaps they should have given her to Maks.
    I'm actually surprised Cheryl is so popular. I just don't get her. I liked Cheryl in the Drew/Emmitt/Ian era, but now, not so much. Maybe I'm just tired of her doing well season after season while my favorites get the duds and are early boots. And Cheryl's attitude has me kind of turned off this season as well. Not everyone has always gotten along with their partners, or had the Gilles and Emmitts and Drew's, but she's coming off as unhappy and cold. I can't say I'd miss her if she took a season off.

Joanna is not threat to win. She is not sweet like Brooke. Also, while Derek's popularity helped Brooke win but not a bias. The judges like Brooke more because she was just a better dancer. Brooke is very popular with moms who make up a significant portion of the viewers. It was just shocking that Lance was not good when he was the one with the dance experience.

My theory is that Cheryl and Derek are both very popular so the show will always give them someone with potential. If you gave Cheryl an NFL player or Derek an Olympic gold medalist, people would be up in arms. I do not think Mark Ballas is as popular so no one complains as much if gets those partners. If you give Cheryl or Derek someone who is fit enough, like a Gilles or Brooke with small fan bases, you keep them around but it does not look like favoritism. Cheryl sometimes gets the old man, but none of the younger male pros get the old women. It is not just Derek. Look at Mark. He had Kim Kardashian who is young and fit enough that she should have been good. It is not like the producers knew Kim sucked at dancing. Before that he had Kristi and Sabrina. This year as Melissa and last year Shawn. If anyone benefits from favoritism, it is probably him. Why, I have no idea because he is not so popular. Alec never had an old woman.
    I do think there's favoritism from the show towards certain pros, Derek being on of them. My point was, he's never had a bad partner. He's never had to deal with a Cloris, Susan, or even a Denise type. He always gets the young pretty hotties who do have potential and where he hasn't had to drag them around the dance floor. Personally, watching their routine again, I'm beginning to think his choreography is looking the same. People on here may not complain about Mark (besides me that is ) but on other forums people do take issue with the fact that he, too, always seems to be at the top of the producers list in terms of getting the pimp spots, best partners, etc. I can only hope that, should Joanna make it through and her non-fan base take her out and Derek's fans aren't enough, that she pulls a Shannon moment and shows her true colors. After all, she did say she was cast for drama. Wait until the first sign of criticism she didn't see coming.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by karalott;3712691;

I do think there's favoritism from the show towards certain pros, Derek being on of them. My point was, he's never had a bad partner. He's never had to deal with a Cloris, Susan, or even a Denise type. He always gets the young pretty hotties who do have potential and where he hasn't had to drag them around the dance floor.
    Derek won with Brooke and the next season was given Lil'Kim., difficult, not expected to stay the course Just like Macy this season, everyone expected Lil'Kim to be full of attitude and a very bad dancer. No one expected her to be disciplined and to be able to take the harsh exercise and strict routine to stay the course. Especially, just out of prison and a minus zero fan base. No one expected her to last two/three weeks. This is the one given to Derek.

This year, Derek has Joanna, appart from Brooke, not one model has ever stayed the course. The models usually get sent of in the first few weeks. Joanna, as a model was not expected to stay long. But, like Lil'Kim, some are disappointed that she can move. And, she can.

Before the pairings, it is difficult to know which stars can dance. It is easier to estimate their fan base. Brooke, Lil'Kim and Joanna practically had no fan base, but won over the public by their dancing and character for Lil'Kim. Derek is a professional and he said some years ago that he spent more time working to get a good chemistry with his partner as that was important. That chemistry benefits their dancing together. There is no way that Derek is a favourite. He never gets women with big fan bases nor in a class (athlete) of those who can dance. But. as a consumate professional, he works with what he is given and comes up trumps again and again.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Living;3712805;
    Derek won with Brooke and the next season was given Lil'Kim., difficult, not expected to stay the course Just like Macy this season, everyone expected Lil'Kim to be full of attitude and a very bad dancer. No one expected her to be disciplined and to be able to take the harsh exercise and strict routine to stay the course. Especially, just out of prison and a minus zero fan base. No one expected her to last two/three weeks. This is the one given to Derek.

This year, Derek has Joanna, appart from Brooke, not one model has ever stayed the course. The models usually get sent of in the first few weeks. Joanna, as a model was not expected to stay long. But, like Lil'Kim, some are disappointed that she can move. And, she can.

Before the pairings, it is difficult to know which stars can dance. It is easier to estimate their fan base. Brooke, Lil'Kim and Joanna practically had no fan base, but won over the public by their dancing and character for Lil'Kim. Derek is a professional and he said some years ago that he spent more time working to get a good chemistry with his partner as that was important. That chemistry benefits their dancing together. There is no way that Derek is a favourite. He never gets women with big fan bases nor in a class (athlete) of those who can dance. But. as a consumate professional, he works with what he is given and comes up trumps again and again.
    You make some very good points, and then you make some of which I respectfully disagree. I think you are probably on the money when you say that Derek works with his partner. Along with his choreographing skills and that fact that he himself makes his partner look good, that may be the answer. However, if Derek were given say the 50 plus year old former lead singer from the 80s all lady's group who just didn't have it in a previous season, I am not so sure that he could work the same magic that he is able to work with the younger women with some ability.

Now Lil Kim could innately dance and dance very, very well! That, to me, wasn't the problem or the issue. The issue was with the fan base. I wasn't very familiar with her, and I found I loved her personality, but the fact was - unfortunately - that even though she had done her time, she still had that stigma hanging over her. It also did not help that the large engines like AOL kept running clips on the big and/or famous names who owe the government large sums of tax money ( which Lil Kim does).
    Even if she were able to overcome all of those issues ( which she might have), she still had to beat out 3 other favorites with large fan bases. Those 3 people and their fans were hard to ignore!

IMO, Lil Kim in another time and under different personal conditions maybe could have won this thing.

I didn't see Joanna on the summer show, but those who did say she can have a whopper of a bad attitude. I don't know how many of the DWTS fans saw the summer show, and again I don't know how big of a fan base some other contestants may have above her, but she looked like she could innately dance to me the other night. If she keeps her attitude gracious, Derek easily has the capability of taking her well on up the ladder. Even with a good attitude and Derek's skills, can she win? I don't know! She would still have to beat out other fan favorites, and sometimes that is what it all boils down to...
    Dear paranoid people who check behind their shower curtains for murderers, if you do find one, what's your plan?

Quote Originally Posted by moflan;3709777;
    I had never heard of her before and don't recall ever seeing any of her modeling shots. Her fringe pants reminded me of Julianne's outfit last season and she kind of looks like Julianne/Derek.

).

TMZ had side by side photos. That IS the outfit that Brooke wore and Karina wore it on during her and Maks performance on that awards show. Recycling.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

FORT Fanatic

I just listened to Adam Carolla's podcast with Natalie Coughlin. Interesting stuff. Apparently Joanna Krupa is on Adams poop list, because she was a Juggy Girl on the MANSHOW and of course never mentions it. Also Adam claims she's got no personality at all. He never even alluded to Tyrell Owens, but he did allude to the fact that she was pretty dense.

+ Reply to Thread