+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 28 FirstFirst ... 111213141516171819202122232425262728 LastLast

Thread: Joanna Krupa - Season 9

FORT Regular

Re: Joanna Krupa - Season 9

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;3748205;
    I hear what you're saying, but I guess I am still not certain why? Do you think it makes a difference in their judging, or is there a particular reason why you want to know this?
    TIA
    It's really no big deal except I have a quirk where if I read something that strikes me as untrue I feel almost a responsibility to point it out. It's silly, I know. Sorry.

FORT Fanatic

Re: 11/10 Results Show Discussion Thread **Spoilers*

That said, she is not as entertaining as Donny or as technically proficient as Mya. Will she win? Entertaining and dancing well/improvement are the two elements quoted the most often by people as necessary in their eyes to be the "winner" of that fabulous little trophy.
    Which is too bad because no one at this stage as demonstrated those elements. Unfortunately, too many have drank the Kool-aid of ABC promotion machine and have really overlooked people who had potential to be legitimate students who progress and win on the merits of dance and entertainment. However, if the camera deliberately pans off of you, or if you're deliberately filmed on camera in an untruthful manner, then the audience gets duped into believing these are the best of the lot.

I get the machine is to cross-promote the side deals that have been inked by these celebrities, and last season that worked out because you have Melissa Gilles and Shawn as strong dancers whose cross promotional activities made sense. Unfortunately it's rather immoral to score this lot on that premise, since they're just not that good.

Re: Joanna Krupa - Season 9

Quote Originally Posted by CatherineAG;3748336;
    It's really no big deal except I have a quirk where if I read something that strikes me as untrue I feel almost a responsibility to point it out. It's silly, I know. Sorry.
    No. Not silly at all.
    I guess I was just wondering why.
    I didn't know if you thought it might make a difference in the scoring or anything. Thanks
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Quote Originally Posted by Andiemywestie;3748255;
    Well I didn't watch last evening. But if this was a "futuristic paso" it sounds like a warmed over version of the Yulia and Max's Matrix of a few years ago, and it was incredible. Joanna simply doesn't have the technique or the core strength to pull off the slow motion lifts that Yulia was able to perform. My guess is if it was robotic, then that works for her, because her technique is very stiff and robotic. A good choice for Derek to once again hide her shortcomings with razzle dazzle.
    You admit to not watching, yet you have a strong opinion. It certainly does seem consistent with your past comments about Joanna Krupa, however. I think I recall sdl commenting on something related to this subject as well, but he can speak for himself.

As for me, I watched on both Monday and Tuesday, coming away with an entirely opposite impression from yours. The judges had the opportunity to pick Mya's higher scored dance but they opted for Derrick and Joanna. I can see no compelling reason not to respect their choice, although if they had chosen Mya and Dimitri I would have been equally sanguine.

FORT Fanatic

And that's fine. I just have seen absolutely no growth from Joanna at all, and Maks' recent blog validated my original assertions about her horrible legs and feet, and dance position so to have to watch it is like watching nails on a chalkboard. Unpleasant at best.

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by MFWalkoff;3748699;
    AMW, You really should watch the Derek- dance,
    IMHO, she's over-hyped over-pimped and thanks to the Disney/ABC/Playboy Eenterprises connection now over-exposed.

But as far as I'm concerned, a dancer she aint. Not even close. Derek could hang from a rope, and I'd still not believe the hype.. oh wait he already did.

sdl

Quote Originally Posted by Andiemywestie;3748716;
    IMHO, she's over-hyped over-pimped and thanks to the Disney/ABC/Playboy Eenterprises connection now over-exposed.

But as far as I'm concerned, a dancer she aint. Not even close. Derek could hang from a rope, and I'd still not believe the hype.. oh wait he already did.
    Ok, Disney is now a huge corporation and does more than just cartoons and feel good movies, but they are NOT associated in any way with Playboy.
    Ditto ABC - while not as milk and cookies as Disney, they don't co-venture with Playboy.
    I love conspiracy theories, but they have to make sense.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by MFWalkoff;3748699;
    AMW, You really should watch the Derek-Joanna dance, you'll be surprised. I haven't reacted to a DWTS dance like this since Gilles & Cheryl's AT last year. It was outside-the-box, and executed quite well. Derek finally designed a dance where Joanna had to do 50% of the work, and for once, she was up to the challenge.

Except for this paso, I haven't gushed over Joanna this whole season. Add to that fact that while I clearly give Derek the kudos he well deserves for fantastic dancing and choreographing, I am not enthusiastic over the idea that he usually gets young potential partners, he has already "won", and his antics are sometimes annoying.

However, that paso rocked! The choreography and costuming were clever, the dancing was sharp and in sync, and the entire routine was entertaining.

Whether I personally like all of the attributes of the performers - or even the performers themselves - is simply not involved, nor is the fact that someone else that I really liked has gotten knocked out already. Those things just simply do not figure into the equation! That was a memorable, well-done performance.
    If grace is an ocean, we're all drowning.

- John McMillan

FORT Fanatic

Ok, Disney is now a huge corporation and does more than just cartoons and feel good movies, but they are NOT associated in any way with Playboy.
    Ditto ABC - while not as milk and cookies as Disney, they don't co-venture with Playboy.
    I love conspiracy theories, but they have to make sense.
    There's no conspiracy in knowing that Playboy has been in deep financial do do for awhile now, and have been looking to revamp the entire way they do business. The "Marge Simpson" playboy cover was a way to make the magazine more "accessible" to the demographic they're targetting, and it's no secret some high rolling former executives of Disney are now with PLA. The very fact that they don't compete for business makes them perfect business partners..a win win they all get 100% of what they're after. Their entire media division is becoming more and more mainstream, rather than "adult" and what better way to sell the seemingly wholesome innoculous former Manshow "juggy girl" than with the support of dwts? Although Playboy wholeheartedly supported Holly when she was on the show, Hef never showed...and I read that Hef came to watch this week. Unless there's a business reason for an appearance, not sure that he'd bother, since it certainly wasn't a priority when he was doing Holly.
    Last edited by Andiemywestie; 11-12-2009 at 11:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Andiemywestie;3748906;
    Although Playboy wholeheartedly supported Holly when she was on the show, Hef never showed...and I read that Hef came to watch this week. Unless there's a business reason for an appearance, not sure that he'd bother, since it certainly wasn't a priority when he was doing Holly.
    Holly was his ex-girlfriend/fiancee. Not a lot of people would show up to watch their ex dance.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

+ Reply to Thread