+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 28 FirstFirst ... 910111213141516171819202122232425262728 LastLast

Thread: Joanna Krupa - Season 9

Re: Joanna Krupa - Season 9

The judges also see the rehearsal dance prior to the live show, so they can see what the dancers are doing much better than the cameras capture for the TV audience.

FORT Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by CatherineAG;3747151;
    I don't agree. Which seconds of this video do you think they couldn't see? Remember, the judges are a lot closer to the stage than the camera and if I could tell what she was doing, I think they could too, even better.

YouTube - Joanna Krupa & Derek Hough - "Futuristic" Paso Doble
    I'm at work right now, so I can't access Youtube (it's blocked here). But I'll just say it was at the beginning, when the two were dancing in darkness (with intermittent bursts of light). And no, I don't agree about the judges being able to necessarily see things more easily. The cameras have zoom capabilities, and they are in a position to catch things at a much better angle. The judges are stuck where they are. There have been times when a judge has said, "Oh, I couldn't see what you were doing at such-and-such moment," when we (the viewers at home) could see what was going on because the camera caught it.

ASassyKat, that's true, but that's the dress rehearsal, not the live performance. Of course, I know the judges probably base their scores on the rehearsal anyway (at least they plan their comments around the rehearsal), but doesn't make it right.

FORT Regular

Quote Originally Posted by bibbitybobbityb;3747154;
    I'm at work right now, so I can't access Youtube (it's blocked here). But I'll just say it was at the beginning, when the two were dancing in darkness (with intermittent bursts of light). And no, I don't agree about the judges being able to necessarily see things more easily. The cameras have zoom capabilities, and they are in a position to catch things at a much better angle. The judges are stuck where they are. There have been times when a judge has said, "Oh, I couldn't see what you were doing at such-and-such moment," when we (the viewers at home) could see what was going on because the camera caught it.
    The video shows she was behind him for about 4 seconds, and she was lit by the stationary, not intermittent, blue lights, which reflected off her silver wig and her jeweled forearm pieces. I doubt there was anyone in the room who couldn't tell their synchronized arm movements.

Camera lenses cannot compete with the human eyes in the room, which can adjust to light far better than any lens, but in any event the room was not in total darkness, and to try to call that unfair seems to me a stretch.

FORT Regular

Quote Originally Posted by ASassyKat;3747153;
    The judges also see the rehearsal dance prior to the live show, so they can see what the dancers are doing much better than the cameras capture for the TV audience.
    Do you have a source for that? I have never heard that before.

Quote Originally Posted by CatherineAG;3743420;
    Were you looking at the one being tickled? That wasn't her. And I dispute that it was a 'foot fetish' movie. They were tickling the girl in more places than just her feet.

That was pretty harmless, with neither nudity nor sex.

No. I knew she was not the one on the bed being tickled. If you're looking at the screen, she's the one in the nurse's outfit who is standing on the left. Her nose and mouth are way different. I did a double take at first.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

While I thought her first dance was a hot mess, I, too, give her credit for the Paso. She was able to follow his lead extremely well. Once again, Derek shows himself to be the best choreographer.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Quote Originally Posted by CatherineAG;3747169;
    Do you have a source for that? I have never heard that before.
    Last year when Melissa Rycroft was injured, the judges had to go by the rehearsal dance. The dancers do this on the dance floor for the 3 judges, no mood lighting, no audience, etc. Just the music, the dancers, and the judges.

Video of this was shown on air for the episode she was out. I assume that all of the dancers do the same each week prior to the show, they have a dress rehearsal. Melissa's was the one prior to that, which is done a day or so ahead of time, since they were not in costume.

There was another dance couple who had to be judged by the dress rehearsal, but I can't recall who that was at this point or from which season that happened, but it has happened.

Just remembered, it was that Steve-O from season 8, the judges judged his dress rehearsal since he injured his back at the dress rehearsal.
    Last edited by ASassyKat; 11-10-2009 at 04:22 PM.

FORT Regular

Quote Originally Posted by ASassyKat;3747194;
    Last year when Melissa Rycroft was injured, the judges had to go by the rehearsal dance. The dancers do this on the dance floor for the 3 judges, no mood lighting, no audience, etc. Just the music, the dancers, and the judges.

Video of this was shown on air for the episode she was out. I assume that all of the dancers do the same each week prior to the show, they have a dress rehearsal. Melissa's was the one prior to that, which is done a day or so ahead of time, since they were not in costume.

There was another dance couple who had to be judged by the dress rehearsal, but I can't recall who that was at this point or from which season that happened, but it has happened.
    But the judges weren't in the studio when the rehearsal was taped. Melissa's was taped the morning of the live show. The judges scored her dance from the videotape of the rehearsal, not from watching it live.

The other dancer who was judged from his rehearsal tape was Steve-O, wasn't it? His was a dress rehearsal. But the judges were not there for it! I really doubt the judges ever see the rehearsals, dress or otherwise.

Was it Steve O, who danced with Lacey?
    Friends are those rare people who ask how you are and then wait for the answer. ~Author Unknown

FORT Regular

Quote Originally Posted by live4romance;3747197;
    Was it Steve O, who danced with Lacey?
    Yes, it was, thanks.

By the way, I'd bet good money that the judges never see rehearsals. Why should they or would they? It would be unfair on any number of levels. But it would be simple to verify. Just twitter any of the pros or current or former contestants, and somebody will answer.

As far as their comments, I've noticed twice this season where Len has used the same crack on the U.S. show that he or another judge used on the British version.

The same week Len told I believe it was Ashley Hamilton that it was "a dance only a father could love," he had already used the same line a few days earlier to another contestant on Strictly Come Dancing.

Yesterday when Len told Mya he was disappointed he could find nothing to criticize about her dance, he was cribbing from Strictly judge Craig Revel Harwood, who had said exactly the same line to Ali Bastian and Brian Fortuna the week before. Since Bruno was there all four times, he is well aware of it, and who knows, maybe he recycles some of his own comments as well.

+ Reply to Thread