+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 28 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617181920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: Joanna Krupa - Season 9

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Re: Joanna Krupa - Season 9

Quote Originally Posted by Bloomers;3735187;
    In trying to keep a balanced and fair assessment, I have mentioned that I believe she has much potential, an annoying but fantastic choreographer/dancer partner, as well as the fact that she absolutely cut the most glamorous, romantic lines dancing with Maks.

That said, Joanna does unfortunately have a reputation for being harsh and a bit difficult that has preceded her from an earlier reality show. On DWTS where her fate is to a very large degree dependent upon the viewers' votes, Joanna has to decide how important it is to Joanna to placate her audience, keep them happy, and win their votes.
    From all of the comments, it is apparent that many posters are offended by the F bombs and other crusty words and phrases. Her language and attitude are things that Joanna can control and manipulate to her advantage. Is it worth it to her to refrain from speaking the way she wants to or is accustomed to in order to please her audience? Only Joanna can decide that, but when push comes to shove, Joanna just may be the master of her destiny and the key as to how far she advances.
    I don't get the fascination with saying that word of all words. No, I don't dislike her for that, but it surprised me what a little potty mouth the girl had on her and what a sore loser she was. I can't say I'm offended, either, but cursing just doesn't appeal to me. I guess because I work with too many people that curse every other word Even if Joanna didn't have the negative backstory with Superstars, I'd find her an even more boring Brooke Burke who's getting by because of Derek. But, I must say, that AT she did with Maks was better than anything I've seen her do with Derek. I don't think she'll win, and I'm not disappointed. I hope they don't even make the final 3, but I think that last spot is a toss up.

Joanna was worried about the fan vote once she realized that people had a negative impression of her attitude on Superstars and in the interviews after, so that's why I question, is she for real or putting on one big fat show?

I heard with my own ears Joanna say things to T.O. that were beyond rude and absurd. I would not have thought it possible for anyone to ever make me feel sympathy for him; I can't stand him, but she accomplished that task, not only for me but for everyone who was watching with me.

As far as ABC is concerned, I worked for ABC in New York many many years ago. It was a job I very much enjoyed, but that experience also leaves me less than likely to accept anything said on either side by someone who works there as 100% true. And even if it were true, not one contestant on that show could be certain of anything more than 1 week since they were all subject to elimination by losing events and then losing the obstacle course.

Peacheater, I bow to your clear expertise in the field of ballroom dance, a genre I love. You seem to like Joanna very much, which is certainly your right , and I appreciate that. But those of us who see something else in her are not necessarily wrong. I am not talking about her colorful language; all excessive expletives do is convince me of someone's lack of vocabulary. I am talking about her disrespect for her competitors on Superstars. That's what I saw, not once but several times, and it's my last argument on the subject.

Fortunately, we can respectfully disagree and vote for whom we choose.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel;3735400;
    I heard with my own ears Joanna say things to T.O. that were beyond rude and absurd. I would not have thought it possible for anyone to ever make me feel sympathy for him; I can't stand him, but she accomplished that task, not only for me but for everyone who was watching with me.

As far as ABC is concerned, I worked for ABC in New York many many years ago. It was a job I very much enjoyed, but that experience also leaves me less than likely to accept anything said on either side by someone who works there as 100% true. And even if it were true, not one contestant on that show could be certain of anything more than 1 week since they were all subject to elimination by losing events and then losing the obstacle course.

Peacheater, I bow to your clear expertise in the field of ballroom dance, a genre I love. You seem to like Joanna very much, which is certainly your right , and I appreciate that. But those of us who see something else in her are not necessarily wrong. I am not talking about her colorful language; all excessive expletives do is convince me of someone's lack of vocabulary. I am talking about her disrespect for her competitors on Superstars. That's what I saw, not once but several times, and it's my last argument on the subject.

Fortunately, we can respectfully disagree and vote for whom we choose.
    1. I don't vote. I think the entire process of "fan" voting is absurd, but I've said both before.

2. I take no position regarding any like or dislike for Ms Krupa. Please don't attempt to put words in my mouth. I look at her as I do all the other celebs and pros on DWTS (with the possible exception of Maks, whom I'd rather not offend since he may be judging me next June). I offer no apology if information I've shared about her here, which came my way serendipitously, does not match the opinions of some here. As a trial lawyer, I'm accustomed to disagreement, but I will certainly respond when I disagree or possess information contrary to popular opinion.

3. I've known since the age of 22 the individual at ABC who provided me his/her assessment of the show taped in the Bahamas. I'm 60 now, so our association is quite lengthy. The suggestion that he/she would be dishonest is simply false. He/she has no motivation for anything other than candor with a long-time close friend and godfather to one of his/her children.

4. Commentary on language always amazes me. Perhaps I've become calloused by my college fraternity, colorful law school profs, and the partners in my law firm during the past four decades. The most prolific of "F-bomb" users I know are some of America's finest alpha-male litigators. They can be charming and careful in public, but in private they (we, including myself in the mix) are often raw and colorful of expression. I've often wondered if/why there is such a double standard when it comes to similar language when used by women.

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel;3735400;

This will be my last argument on the subject as well, because I don't think anyone's wrong viewing Joanna the way they want. I have enough to think she's not as sweet as she's coming across on the show (or more likely boring). But networks do damage control. Aaron's done a turnaround, and maybe the networks had something to do with it. Maybe he also got a clue and realized that the fans vote and aren't going to vote for someone who's so dislikeable. I actually found it comical that Joanna had such a hissy fit losing yet you had David/Lisa who went to the obstacle course every week (or I guess in their time it was every day). David was probably more the athlete between the duo, but they worked together well and never argued and seemed to get along great. I just don't think Joanna takes kindly to losing. Some people cheered for Joanna because they think T.O. had it coming to him. I disliked her even more for making me feel pity for him

I also read a little snippet from E! Online. Joanna said the show ruined her sex life because she's always too tired when she gets home from rehearsals or the show to do anything else but cuddle.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Peacheater;3735425;

4. Commentary on language always amazes me. Perhaps I've become calloused by my college fraternity, colorful law school profs, and the partners in my law firm during the past four decades. The most prolific of "F-bomb" users I know are some of America's finest alpha-male litigators. They can be charming and careful in public, but in private they (we, including myself in the mix) are often raw and colorful of expression. I've often wondered if/why there is such a double standard when it comes to similar language when used by women.
    Ahem ...I say this with humor, but I really don't have a double standard. My personal preference is that neither men nor women speak in that manner around me. However, since it is highly unlikely that my path will cross Joanna's, yours (dear Peach ) or any of your highly esteemed alpha male associates', what I think doesn't amount to more than it took me to type it.
    If grace is an ocean, we're all drowning.

- John McMillan

FORT Regular

Quote Originally Posted by Peacheater;3735425;
    1. I don't vote. I think the entire process of "fan" voting is absurd, but I've said both before.

2. I take no position regarding any like or dislike for Ms Krupa. Please don't attempt to put words in my mouth. I look at her as I do all the other celebs and pros on DWTS (with the possible exception of Maks, whom I'd rather not offend since he may be judging me next June). I offer no apology if information I've shared about her here, which came my way serendipitously, does not match the opinions of some here. As a trial lawyer, I'm accustomed to disagreement, but I will certainly respond when I disagree or possess information contrary to popular opinion.

3. I've known since the age of 22 the individual at ABC who provided me his/her assessment of the show taped in the Bahamas. I'm 60 now, so our association is quite lengthy. The suggestion that he/she would be dishonest is simply false. He/she has no motivation for anything other than candor with a long-time close friend and godfather to one of his/her children.

Good points, Peacheater. I don't really mind the double standard regarding language because I prefer a lady to sound like a lady most of the time. A few women can use colorful language and seem charming and disarming, but most can't.

While Joanna knew she was wired, she did not realize they were going to broadcast words she thought were private, particularly the comments she uttered to herself, just like any of us exclaim in the privacy of our own cars when someone cuts us off. I watched the YouTube video again of her tirade to T.O. to see if I was missing something in saying it didn't offend me. I thought she was well within her rights, particularly in view of the fact, as you pointed out, that she was unaware T.O. had already planned to bail out on the taping before she even arrived in the Bahamas.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, of course, but if anybody was ripe for chewing out, it was Terrell Owens. She also did not realize that he had gotten tangled up in the net.

What amused me was a poster who claimed Joanna wore big goggles while swimming "so she didn't mess up her eye makeup." As if they could read her mind. Joanna could easily look more glamorous during rehearsals if she didn't put her hair back in a severe little knot. She strikes me as far less vain than some insist. And she already said she knows she is not the most beautiful or the sexiest model, no matter the hype from various magazines.

All in all, she seems to have a very good head on her shoulders. Others are welcome to disagree since we can't help who we like or dislike.

FORT Fanatic

As I said last week I thought she would be weak on the Waltz, and she was.

Her shoulders were hunched up at times, messing up the top line... her footwork was terrible, absolutely no heel leads, so no proper technique to showcase a dramatic rise and fall and very clipped, ungainly extensions like a very flat arabesque without toes pointed. Brooke Burke may not have been controversial, but she danced a helluva lot better paired with Derek. And Natalie, again is better at Ballroom by far than Joanna.

After seeing Joanna dance with Maks, I actually wonder about his choreograpy to begin with. Derek can bring it on his own, but I noticed a lot of his dances (especially the latin) seem so similar to Brooke and Lil Kim. I don't know if it's more he's trying to take a safer approach, too, rather than have them do something complicated and have it backfire on him. Unlike other pros, I don't always think he's trying to put the focus solely on him.

Though I still don't know what he was doing swinging down from the stairs like Tarzan.

FORT Fanatic

Not only the choreography is similiar to the point of boredom, but creativity took a holiday on the costume selections. Joanna's and Brooke's Salsa outfits were almost identical, as were the Samba and the Waltz costumes right down to the coloring.

Derek is giving all his female competitors a "generic quality" that makes me think ..."been there done that", only better by Brooke, and infinitely more exciting by Lil Kim. If he gives Joanna the "liquid gold" costume he gave Brooke for the Foxtrot I think I'll go to sleep. I can't help but compare the women technique wise, and where Lil Kim was rough, she brought an excitement, and although Brooke was understated she brought solid technique. I simply can't say anything about Joanna, except so what....something different would be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Andiemywestie;3739169;
    As I said last week I thought she would be weak on the Waltz, and she was.

Her shoulders were hunched up at times, messing up the top line... her footwork was terrible, absolutely no heel leads, so no proper technique to showcase a dramatic rise and fall and very clipped, ungainly extensions like a very flat arabesque without toes pointed. Brooke Burke may not have been controversial, but she danced a helluva lot better paired with Derek. And Natalie, again is better at Ballroom by far than Joanna.
    - "hunched up..." I disagree
    - "ungainly extensions..." Arm or foot extension? I thought both were strong points.
    - "her footwork was terrible..." Terrible? She was the only only doing proper footwork which, in my opinion, is why Len properly noted at couple of lapses in her footwork.

Here is how this is properly executed:

The initial step forward is made by reducing the weight on the heel, with the weight transferring to the front part of the foot. One feels a steady rise until the toes bear the weight. This is executed when the first beat ends then continued until the 2nd and 3rd beat of each bar. At the end of the third beat, the dancers lower to a normal position until the heel carries all the weight. It is a very unnatural movement that most dancers have trouble executing with consistency. I was impressed that Derek was able to teach Joanna to keep off of her heels. Her missteps were minor compared to others executing the same dance.

I did not write critical commentary on any of the dance pairs this week because I am not adjudicator-qualified in the Jive. If I'm not qualified, I plan to keep my mouth shut (just a personal standard to which I hold no others). I do, however possess a few trophies in three versions of the waltz, Viennese, International and American Smooth, and am professionally competent as a judge in all three forms. In my professional opinion, Joanna and Derek were not only the best waltz dance pair of the evening, I believe they would have scored well in any regional competition in the US.

I read that some people believe the producers essentially "fix" the scoring. If that were really true, we would be hearing from many within the amateur and professional dance community who watch this show. Those I talk to on a regular basis share my assessment. It was a good waltz for one week of training.

+ Reply to Thread