+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Joanna Krupa - Season 9

FORT Fogey

Re: Joanna Krupa - Season 9

Quote Originally Posted by Peacheater;3733690;
    Joanna appears to be proving rather competent and a quick study. Her routines have consistently been above 50% in level of difficulty and generally very well executed.
    I agree but she will leave before lesser dancers because very few know who she is, including myself, and popularity is key for longevity.

Quote Originally Posted by shoepie;3733699;
    I agree but she will leave before lesser dancers because very few know who she is, including myself, and popularity is key for longevity.
    You are probably correct and, sadly, that is part of the failure of the show design.

FORT Fanatic

Well it appears that for the next two shows the fans will have to put up with Joanna and Aaron whether they want to or not. They released how the Dance Off will work. A bottom 3 is revealed. The one with the lowest combined score will be eliminated, then the other Bottom Two will have to do a dance off and the judges will select who gets to stay.

That seems tailor made to keep the really unlikeable ones around a bit longer.

From a dance perspective that may be okay, for a lot of viewers it might be just a tad too manipulative and a turn off.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by MHcarrollton;3733685;
    I am dumbfounded how these two are still here. She is wooden and has the personality of a piece of wood. Derek is so annoying, I guess I am the only one that thinks this lol. He constantly mugs for the camera, and I thought he was literally going to push Maks off the set the other day when Samantha was talking to him and Joanna after their dance. These two just seem too full of themselves for my liking. A real shame they outlasted Natalie and Alec.
    Derek can most definitely be annoying, and he has already had his day in the sun, so to speak. That said, he is a fantastic choreographer and fabulous dancer, and he has been very popular.
    Joanna has an edited reputation that is not pleasant from a previous reality show that has followed her into this show - a show where the vote to stay is obviously heavily swayed by popularity.
    Nevertheless, she appears to have the adequate potential to make it to the finals if she can overcome her reputation.
    When she was matched with Maks, she was glamorous.

Whatever negative that can be said about Derek and Joanna, evenly rightly so, I wouldn't count them out especially if the judges are going to be more influential in determining who stays and who goes this season as that is the factor on which we definitely can't put money.
    Who do "they" see as the final contenders in this race? It is not as obvious this season as last.
    Dear paranoid people who check behind their shower curtains for murderers, if you do find one, what's your plan?

FORT Fanatic

I thought the Tango with Maks was going well until the trip and then they lost focus all together. But one thing I was quite surprised about, is I agreed with Carrie Anne, for a person who was a ballet dancer as a kid I expected a lot more grace in her arm extensions. They were clipped. And, I thought the leg extension on the split drag was surprisingly unappealing because it was also shortened up.

So I am beginning to believe the naysayers . It was difficult to get past the attitude initially, but now, I just don't see her as graceful enough as a female dancer. I think it will be borne out even further if she gets a Waltz later on. I still think Natalie did a superior Foxtrot to Joanna...much better dance position and topline.

Quote Originally Posted by Peacheater;3733707;
    You are probably correct and, sadly, that is part of the failure of the show design.
    Yes, I learned that very quickly coming to this show from being a fan of professional ballroom dance.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Quote Originally Posted by MHcarrollton;3733685;
    I am dumbfounded how these two are still here. She is wooden and has the personality of a piece of wood. Derek is so annoying, I guess I am the only one that thinks this lol. He constantly mugs for the camera, and I thought he was literally going to push Maks off the set the other day when Samantha was talking to him and Joanna after their dance. These two just seem too full of themselves for my liking. A real shame they outlasted Natalie and Alec.
    No, I don't care for Derek, either. When he's dancing, yes, my eyes completely focus on him that he could be dancing with a trash heap and make it look appealing. Derek has a charisma and personality he brings out in his dances, but I don't think he always brings it out in his partners. He has the skill to overdance, but not too much, to cover up their missteps, and he doesn't completely dominate the dance floor like a nut like his BFF Mark. But it's when the dance is over that he starts annoying me. I don't know that I'd buy Joanna would still be here with another partner, mainly because I think Derek is getting them through. Eventually, even he won't be able to save them if they aren't destined for the finals or if the show won't keep the Ballas/Hough streak going. I enjoyed her AT much more with Maks and think it's a real shame that they tripped out. I hope Maks gets a better, longer lasting partner next season. Though not someone like Joanna. She's as fun as that trash heap. She doesn't have much of a personality, which surprises me considering what a little foul mouth and diva'tude she has on her.
    Well it appears that for the next two shows the fans will have to put up with Joanna and Aaron whether they want to or not. They released how the Dance Off will work. A bottom 3 is revealed. The one with the lowest combined score will be eliminated, then the other Bottom Two will have to do a dance off and the judges will select who gets to stay.
    Joanna yes, Melissa yes, Aaron? I'm not sure. Sadly he's put his attitude and OTT dancing in check which may help him survive, but I believe fully that he was in the bottom 2 the last 2 weeks. Tom said so, but even without that, I believe it. Joanna I don't believe was in any danger of going home, and I think for the last 2 weeks Michael has probably been within the bottom 3/4 couples. I think this week will be it for him. Assuming Aaron doesn't wind up in the dance off against him, then I think Aaron could potentially be out, too. At least I can hope

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by ASassyKat;3731519;
    I was so impressed with Maks. He's a fanastic athlete, and he supported his partner wonderfully and vice versa.

Joanna showed a very poor attitude and zero sportsmanship. It's too bad she elected to do that show first and then this one. I think she might have had more support had folks not witnessed her awful behavior on Superstars.
    I didn't start watching Superstars until after Joanna left--but I was incredibly impressed with Maks for the reasons you and others have stated here.

I found his behavior about the climbing event to be inspiring--not something I'd ever thought I'd be saying about Maks since I've mainly thought of him as eye candy up until that show.

I really learned a lot about "just doing it" from watching Maks on that show.

The man is very very impressive in many ways.

FORT Regular

I'm a woman and have concluded after watching her for 5 weeks that I like her and find nothing to dislike about her. Not even the words she uttered under duress on Superstars. I know 'em all and have used them myself on occasion. Others seem to like her too.

Debi Mazar wrote on her More magazine blog that "Joanna Krupa is a lot of fun and really generous." Derek replied to a tweet calling her a diva by saying she isn't a diva at all and is very genuine and sweet. He said in an interview that he loves her very much. Debi and Kelly are among her twitter followers. When Kelly tweeted her fear of messing up her dance to her Dad's song, Joanna tweeted support and encouragement.

When a random Derek fan (Curls4Derek) Joanna didn't even know tweeted she had tickets to attend a DTWS taping, Joanna invited her to contact her privately so she could tell her what trailer she was in, to have the security guard bring the fan and her husband to her trailer to hang out with her before the show started. Curls raved about how gracious and considerate - and very, very sweet - Joanna was.

That was the stressful week Derek was sick and she had a shortened practice time with Maks, and she still made time to give a fan a special memory.

Since then another fan tweeted she'd like to attend a taping and Joanna asked what city she was in. She said she could have arranged tickets if the fan had lived in the L.A. area. How many celebs have done that?

She doesn't have the charming puppy-dog quality Louie does or Kelly's vulnerability that makes you want to root for her, but I think she is a hard worker with a great attitude. BTW, the alternate footage they aired on 10/20 showed that Joanna's heel got stuck in Maks' pant cuff, which caused the stumble. She did not go back on the wrong foot as she initially thought.

Those who don't care for her can take comfort in the fact that she appears to have less viewer support than Louie, Donny, Michael, Mark D, or Mya, so may not be around that much longer.
    Last edited by CatherineAG; 10-24-2009 at 10:20 AM.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by CatherineAG;3735053;
    I'm a woman and have concluded after watching her for 5 weeks that I like her and find nothing to dislike about her. Not even the words she uttered under duress on Superstars. I know 'em all and have used them myself on occasion. Others seem to like her too.
    Debi Mazar wrote on her More magazine blog that "Joanna Krupa is a lot of fun and really generous." Derek replied to a tweet calling her a diva by saying she isn't a diva at all and is very genuine and sweet. He said in an interview that he loves her very much. Debi and Kelly are among her twitter followers. When Kelly tweeted her fear of messing up her dance to her Dad's song, Joanna tweeted support and encouragement.

When a random Derek fan (Curls4Derek) Joanna didn't even know tweeted she had tickets to attend a DTWS taping, Joanna invited her to contact her privately so she could tell her what trailer she was in, to have the security guard bring the fan and her husband to her trailer to hang out with her before the show started. Curls raved about how gracious and considerate - and very, very sweet - Joanna was.

That was the stressful week Derek was sick and she had a shortened practice time with Maks, and she still made time to give a fan a special memory.

Since then another fan tweeted she'd like to attend a taping and Joanna asked what city she was in. She said she could have arranged tickets if the fan had lived in the L.A. area. How many celebs have done that?

She doesn't have the charming puppy-dog quality Louie does or Kelly's vulnerability that makes you want to root for her, but I think she is a hard worker with a great attitude. BTW, the alternate footage they aired on 10/20 showed that Joanna's heel got stuck in Maks' pant cuff, which caused the stumble. She did not go back on the wrong foot as she initially thought.

Those who don't care for her can take comfort in the fact that she appears to have less viewer support than Louie, Donny, Michael, Mark D, or Mya, so may not be around that much longer.
    In trying to keep a balanced and fair assessment, I have mentioned that I believe she has much potential, an annoying but fantastic choreographer/dancer partner, as well as the fact that she absolutely cut the most glamorous, romantic lines dancing with Maks.

That said, Joanna does unfortunately have a reputation for being harsh and a bit difficult that has preceded her from an earlier reality show. On DWTS where her fate is to a very large degree dependent upon the viewers' votes, Joanna has to decide how important it is to Joanna to placate her audience, keep them happy, and win their votes.
    From all of the comments, it is apparent that many posters are offended by the F bombs and other crusty words and phrases. Her language and attitude are things that Joanna can control and manipulate to her advantage. Is it worth it to her to refrain from speaking the way she wants to or is accustomed to in order to please her audience? Only Joanna can decide that, but when push comes to shove, Joanna just may be the master of her destiny and the key as to how far she advances.
    Dear paranoid people who check behind their shower curtains for murderers, if you do find one, what's your plan?

+ Reply to Thread