+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 23 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Donny Osmond - Season 9

FORT Fogey

Re: Donny Osmond - Season 9

Quote Originally Posted by MFWalkoff;3711626;
    Well I don't know if it's a rule with any consequences attached to it, but supposedly, the premise of the show is that while the celebrities may have other kinds of dance experience, they are supposed to not have any ballroom experience. But I would bet a lot of celebrities panic and seek out a ballroom instructor in the weeks before rehearsals start. I know I would do it.
    I'm not sure how much a few lessons right before joining the cast is going to help any more than I think dance at the gym would help much in this process.
    I am still scratching my head over the assertion that the classes at the gym gives somebody an unfair advantage. I danced all the way through high school and took a couple of ballet classes in college, and nothing I have ever done at the gym is anything like the dancing (and lessons) I did in my youth.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloomers;3711637;
    I'm not sure how much a few lessons right before joining the cast is going to help any more than I think dance at the gym would help much in this process.
    I am still scratching my head over the assertion that the classes at the gym gives somebody an unfair advantage. I danced all the way through high school and took a couple of ballet classes in college, and nothing I have ever done at the gym is anything like the dancing (and lessons) I did in my youth.
    Indeed. If that were the case, they would never cast athletes on the show. Yet they do, and a lot of them end up winning instead of singers with other kinds of dance training.

I did a lot of musical theater when I was young, including shows like Hello Dolly, Anything Goes and The Boy Friend, which had a lot of dancing, including couples dancing. I think one thing that stays with me from those days (decades ago) is the improved carriage and posture in my walk and stance. But don't ask me to waltz, I'd have to learn that all over again.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

FORT Fanatic

ETA: Add to the fact the guy has been dancing since he's been an embryo and I'd say fairness just got an butt kicking.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

It seems like they don't even hide the fact that some contestants have dance experience. While revealing the cast on GMA, it was brought up about Mya, and Tom right away said as long as she had no ballroom experience it was okay. So I guess I'd wonder how they define "ballroom experience" I remember being upset at Chuck Wicks being cast last season, for the reason that I figured he and Julianne were practicing long before the season started. After watching him I felt confident either they had been practicing and he was an even worse dancer before or he didn't care about anything than being known as something besides Mr. Julianne so that's why he did the show, and she just wanted to finish her contract and move on with her career.

I think I remember hearing way back about Donny taking dance lessons for his show. While we would have missed out on more than a few good contestants, including some of my all time favorites, I'd rather see those who aren't exactly ringers or in that territory. I can understand singers and entertainers may not have dance experience. Some people will just never learn so they stick with what they're good at. People in my immediate family seem to be born to dance, but that gene skipped me and any of my dance training as a kid doesn't make me confident in getting on the dance floor. And I don't want to watch a bunch of Cloris's and Woz's every week for 10 weeks, either. I think this current crop has an almost even playing field. If it's true that Donny did in fact take ballroom lessons extensively, that may be made into a bigger deal since Tom, some of the pros, judges, and producers have said again and again that no ballroom experience is allowed. So it could turn into a scandal or be much ado about nothing.
    Last edited by karalott; 09-27-2009 at 04:18 AM.

FORT Fanatic

First Donny denied he had taken any ballroom. Then he had to come clean when La Toya Jackson let the cat out of the bag. Defenders of Osmond say it's only a little Salsa, a little cha cha, a little of this and a little of that, and how could he possibly be penalized. HELLO?? A Ballroom coach for a full year?
    I don't have any clue as to how this blatant breech is defendable, except that the guy got caught.

Osmond is so desperate it's sickening.

I'm not rooting for him, although I don't have anything against him. I just don't see how this should be cause for an angry uprising. He supposedly got caught getting some pre-season lessons; I'd bet if people who actually cared about this dug deep enough into the other contestants' trashcans, they'd find some receipts for dancing lessons there too. Even if someone I despise, like Tom DeLay, was found out doing this, I'd still say 'so what'? It's not enough to get a rise out of me.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by MFWalkoff;3712100;
    I'm not rooting for him, although I don't have anything against him. I just don't see how this should be cause for an angry uprising. He supposedly got caught getting some pre-season lessons; I'd bet if people who actually cared about this dug deep enough into the other contestants' trashcans, they'd find some receipts for dancing lessons there too. Even if someone I despise, like Tom DeLay, was found out doing this, I'd still say 'so what'? It's not enough to get a rise out of me.

Some pre-season lessons. I never worry about that. Apolo Ohno had some lessons, Jason Taylor has had lessons.. what we're talking about here is a guy who has danced all his life, then employs a ballroom coach to help him with his Vegas act, has this coach for a year. He not only gets the extra coaching that layers over his knowledge of dance, he gets a paycheque for putting Ballroom dancing into his Vegas act.

This is what he does for a living.

Ohno and Taylor don't dance for a living. That's a far cry from anyone without dance experience taking a few lessons to ensure they don't suck.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Andiemywestie;3712103;
    Some pre-season lessons. I never worry about that. Apolo Ohno had some lessons, Jason Taylor has had lessons.. what we're talking about here is a guy who has danced all his life, then employs a ballroom coach to help him with his Vegas act, has this coach for a year. He not only gets the extra coaching that layers over his knowledge of dance, he gets a paycheque for knowing some Ballroom dancing. That's a far cry from anyone without dance experience taking a few lessons to ensure they don't suck.
    I have a feeling that Donnie and Marie are on the exact same level as far as having training, and we saw her experience on here.
    If Donnie had jumped out and "wowwed" the judges right off the bat and received a huge score, I would be more worried about what lessons he has had, fairness, etc. - but he didn't. I think they set the pace right there for the season although he mostly likely will do well. Donny is not going to just run away with this season. If he wins - at all - he is going to have to work his tail off.
    I am going to be surprised if he does win - afterall, even the hands down hot, glamour fans' favorite from last season didn't win, and Donnie has not taken everyone by storm the way that Gilles did last season after the first week.

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Bloomers;3712108;
    I have a feeling that Donnie and Marie are on the exact same level as far as having training, and we saw her experience on here.
    If Donnie had jumped out and "wowwed" the judges right off the bat and received a huge score, I would be more worried about what lessons he has had, fairness, etc. - but he didn't. I think they set the pace right there for the season although he mostly likely will do well. Donny is not going to just run away with this season. If he wins - at all - he is going to have to work his tail off.
    I am going to be surprised if he does win - afterall, even the hands down hot, glamour fans' favorite from last season didn't win, and Donnie has not taken everyone by storm the way that Gilles did last season after the first week.
    I didn't say that Osmond was good. He has terrible posture and he's totally inflexible and he's out of shape. But what did he do? He relied on his razzledazzle to get the the audience to love him, not Ballroom, which is not the point of the exercise, and thankfully the head judge called him on it.
    However, this sets the wrong precident in my opinion. If Bergeron says no Ballroom even Donny Osmond has to stick to the rules....but instead Osmond puts it in his Vegas act and people pay him to watch it. That's Ballroom Dance experience, not just taking a few lessons. Good bad or ugly, he used the coach to get Ballroom into his arsenal and thumbed his nose at the rules.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Andiemywestie;3712109;
    I didn't say that Osmond was good. He has terrible posture and he's totally inflexible and he's out of shape. But what did he do? He relied on his razzledazzle to get the the audience to love him, not Ballroom, which is not the point of the exercise, and thankfully the head judge called him on it.
    However, this sets the wrong precident in my opinion. If Bergeron says no Ballroom even Donny Osmond has to stick to the rules....but instead Osmond puts it in his Vegas act and people pay him to watch it. That's Ballroom Dance experience, not just taking a few lessons. Good bad or ugly, he used the coach to get Ballroom into his arsenal and thumbed his nose at the rules.

I don't know how Tom would handle any reminders or criticism; however, I distinctly remember that when faced with the flood of criticism against Melissa's childhood ballet lessons and her Dallas Cowboys' cheerleading experience, Tom emphatically, bluntly, and unmistakeningly answered in a way which plainly said, "We...don't...care."

I personally think it is fruitless to bark up that tree again.
    If grace is an ocean, we're all drowning.

- John McMillan

+ Reply to Thread