+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 11121314151617181920212223 LastLast

Thread: Donny Osmond - Season 9

Urban Renewal - a new era BuckeyeAddict's Avatar

Re: Donny Osmond - Season 9

Quote Originally Posted by barefootdyke;3757116;
    YAY DOnny!!!!
    I'm with ya, BD! Now that I'm thinking of it, I wonder if your avatar gave him the karma he needed for the win. It's Thanksgiving week, after all!

So happy for him! Sometimes nice guys do finish first!

Yay! I'm so happy for Donny and Kym.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloomers;3756455;
    I would enjoy seeing all of the judges dance.

Now, we have been pretty hard on Carrie Ann, but I finally got to see last night's show, and I was impressed with her "coaching" of Kelly. Although Kelly didn't word it as such, it was a revelatory moment for her when Carrie Ann both showed her how to look Louie in the eyes and then fired off that series of sensual questions that were intended to put Kelly in the sexual frame of mind that is necessary for that dance.

Personally, an experienced female dancer ( and obviously Carrie Ann had that particular experience) who can explain the necessary mindset and body position is what each female contestant on this show needs.
    I haven't seen the whole show yet so didn't see that part.
    While I am at it, I was impressed with Louie's "acting" skills as well. Until someone told me earlier this season that Louis had a male life partner, I didn't realize that particular aspect about him, yet in that rehearsal he was so in full character that he was figuratively looking at Kelly like he could eat her up.
    I didn't pick up on that either. It sure seems that they have a great friendship and mutual respect.

That ability to act the romance part is another thing that I love about Bruno's judging. He recognizes the guy-girl romance in the dance and I love it when he expounds upon it.
    Back to Bruno....we always make fun of Bruno's flamboyant mannerisms while judging, but I felt like he was quite good with Donny as well. Immediately, Bruno said that he had little time which set the mood as serious and down to business.
    He further set the motivation when he told Donny in no uncertain terms that he wanted Donny to win it on his skills and not only on popularity. He then began to work on strengthening Donny's worst skills.
    Bruno came up in my estimation.
    I need to watch that sequence again because I was only watching with one eye.

I'm really going to miss Bruno.

Even though not a prude, I didn't care for the Donny/Bruno fake flirting at all, but maybe just because I'm not much of a Donny fan. Also, there's a fine line between acceptable and too much, IMO.
    The Bachelor/Bachelorette series is a soap opera with unskilled actors, bad writing, and beautiful locations...it even edits the real moon!

FORT Fogey

I was very impressed by how Bruno coached Donny. And I was extra-impressed when Bruno mentioned in his judging of Donny's first dance Mondy night how well Donny took Bruno's rehearsal criticism/critique and how Donny was such a pro he never once let his ego enter into how he took criticism.

I think this is a credit to both of the men.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

So excited that Kym finally got her win! After placing 2nd twice, having to put up with Penn Jillette and DAG attitude and tantrums, she's earned it! Donny was such a pleasure to watch all season. I can't really say anything else that hasn't been said, but he and Kym will go down as one of my favorite pairs on this show ever and I'll definitely miss them next season. Once again Kym proved what a fantastic choreographer she is, I just wish the judges would finally acknowledge it. If only she had had Gilles last season, maybe she could have given a freestyle to compete with Shawn's.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by karalott;3757426;
    So excited that Kym finally got her win!
    Couldn't agree more. I think the judges have said something similar in the past.

Glad it was with Donny, too. A respectable duo.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

What I loved was how classy Donny/Kym celebrated their win. Even as Tom was standing there, holding the trophy, Kym stood patiently and let Donny have his moment as he ran to get his family. She didn't run and take the trophy from Tom first (like some past pro winners), and Donny had to tell her to hold it and they held it together. I can understand the pros being happy if their friends win-but I was really put off how Derek and Mark's wins were celebrated. When Derek won, Julianne, Corky, and Mark all seemed to run to him first, and hoisted him on their shoulders (with the trophy), leaving Brooke standing there. Last year you could see Derek jumping up and down on the stairs after Mark/Shawn were announced as winners. I'm sure the pros were especially excited for Kym, but I really thought Donny/Kym showed how a win should be celebrated.

Just an interesting side note here-Kym actually has won DWTS before. She was champion on the second edition of DWTS in Australia. I knew she had competed on that version, but never knew she won. Glad she came and joined our version, and that she finally won here.

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by Jexter;3757808;
    Couldn't agree more. I think the judges have said something similar in the past.

Glad it was with Donny, too. A respectable duo.

Ditto on what you have said!

Also, I am reminded of what Bruno said to Donnie when he said that he wanted Donnie to win not only on his popularity but on his skills as well.

My husband does not watch the show, but like everyone of our generation, he knows Donny Osmond. When I was telling my husband about the finale, I told him that Donny won but that he worked his butt off to get the win. When my husband looked at me with a question on his face, I told him ( my husband is physically active so he understood this) that Donny was competing with a 30 year old and a 25 year old. In addition, even the oldest male pro was only 36. When put into perspective, Donny who will turn 52 in a couple of weeks really pulled off a physical coup.

Congratulations, Donny and Kym!

FORT Fogey

I think that a lot of people who were Donny fans when he was a "teen heart throb" now have an entirely different--and much more adult appreciation of him after seeing that tango he did with Kym.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Wind Dancer;3757886;
    I think that a lot of people who were Donny fans when he was a "teen heart throb" now have an entirely different--and much more adult appreciation of him after seeing that tango he did with Kym.

That is the thing.... Although a contemporary, I was never a fan of Donny or Marie Osmond -even Michael Jackson for that matter. (It's as though all of that was just going on around me, but I simply was living my own very busy life and was involved in all of that which was more important to me)

However, I have to give props where props are due, and Donny gets them. I said from the word "go" that it was going to be a rough row to hoe for a 51 year old man to stay up physically with the rest of them - most of them who were 20 to 30 years younger. Alas, we would see him in rehearsals and his face would be beet red, and he would look like he was going to collapse. Yet, he rarely ever complained or griped....

He had such a great work ethic and attitude that he won me over on that alone. I expected the showmanship. He has had enough time to get that down right!

Kym, on the other hand, was her usual sweet, cheerful self. It was her time, and I am so pleased for her.
    Dear paranoid people who check behind their shower curtains for murderers, if you do find one, what's your plan?

+ Reply to Thread