+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 23 FirstFirst ... 91011121314151617181920212223 LastLast

Thread: Donny Osmond - Season 9

Re: Donny Osmond - Season 9

Quote Originally Posted by RBmumsie;3743606;
    I was not prepared to be so impressed with Donny this season. The man is INCREDIBLE! And, so charming. He & Kelly are my two favorites.
    Me too. I wouldn't have thought it coming in.

I'd like Donny and Joanna to be Top 2 (either position) and Kelly to come in 3rd. Mya can go home.

Re: 11/10 Results Show Discussion Thread **Spoilers*

Fun Facts to Know and Tell about Donny Osmond. "Wait Wait Don't Tell Me" on NPR always has a segment "Not My Job" with an entertainment celeb or political figure. They interview them and then ask them obscure questions about a topic. Today's guest was Rufus Wainwright (swoon) and they were making fun of the Osmonds. Answers to the questions about attempts at various times to boost Donny's flagging career (all factual):

l. Hoping to make themselves sound more "current" they named their second album: The New Sounds of the Osmond Brothers Singing More Songs We Sang on the Andy Williams Show. Much hipper I think, than their first Songs We Sang on the Andy Williams Show.

2. Trying to keep Donny in the public eye, his managers staged a boxing match between him and Danny Bonaduce of the Partridge Family.

3. Thinking Donny needed more "street cred" at one point his management team was seriously considering a plan to set him up to be busted for carrying drugs in an airport.

I'm thinking that in the end they just got so desperate they bribed ABC to put him on Dancing with the Stars. At least that doesn't involve jail time.
    Wherever she went, including here, it was against her better judgment. --Dorothy Parker

Re: 11/10 Results Show Discussion Thread **Spoilers*

Quote Originally Posted by BritLit;3750304;
    Fun Facts to Know and Tell about Donny Osmond. "Wait Wait Don't Tell Me" on NPR always has a segment "Not My Job" with an entertainment celeb or political figure. They interview them and then ask them obscure questions about a topic. Today's guest was Rufus Wainwright (swoon) and they were making fun of the Osmonds. Answers to the questions about attempts at various times to boost Donny's flagging career (all factual):

l. Hoping to make themselves sound more "current" they named their second album: The New Sounds of the Osmond Brothers Singing More Songs We Sang on the Andy Williams Show. Much hipper I think, than their first Songs We Sang on the Andy Williams Show.

2. Trying to keep Donny in the public eye, his managers staged a boxing match between him and Danny Bonaduce of the Partridge Family.

3. Thinking Donny needed more "street cred" at one point his management team was seriously considering a plan to set him up to be busted for carrying drugs in an airport.

I'm thinking that in the end they just got so desperate they bribed ABC to put him on Dancing with the Stars. At least that doesn't involve jail time.

First of all....NPR =
    And all those things may be factual....but they happened M A N Y years ago.
    He has definitely redefined himself in the recent past and is a decent, moral, ethical, respected entertainer, husband, father and grandfater.
    Those things are rare in show business.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

I watched LKL this past week, and was kind of disappointed how it was like an episode of Pick On Donny. Donny has greatly impressed me this season. I was afraid of the show overdoing the Osmond hype, or wanting a male winner so badly that they were going to stop at nothing to get it and shove Donny down our throats every week and give him 10's for showing up. CA got on her girl power kick, which is fine, I don't care what she thinks anyway. I just hope Donny/Kym beat the pants off her beloved Mya/Dmitry, because I know that's going to irk her big time (and to a lesser extent, Bruno). I thought Donny had a really great comeback for his second dance, the samba, after the tango mishap. He looked so heartbroken Tuesday during the confessionals. I've seen people knock him down, like the tango issue was his fault. It was a wardrobe malfunction. Luckily it wasn't worse.

Go Donny/Kym! Though we already know whose won But I'll be voting my heart out for these 2. They deserve it.

FORT Fogey

Karalott--hi. Just wondering--how do we know who has won? The show and the voting haven't occurred yet.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Quote Originally Posted by Wind Dancer;3755357;
    Karalott--hi. Just wondering--how do we know who has won? The show and the voting haven't occurred yet.
    Sorry, I'm just stating what I think will be the obvious outcome-that Mya/Dmitry will walk away with the trophy. I'm hoping it's not as cut and dry and that there's a little suspense to the finale, but I think unless they royally screw up or Donny or Kelly totally surprised and bring it (especially with the freestyle) I think it's Mya's to lose. Weirder things have happened on this show, though I have more faith in Kym and Louis not totally overdoing it in a freestyle. I'm neutral on the megamix deal, and I don't know what other dances they're doing. Donny wants this really bad, as much for Kym. I think Kelly is just happy to have come this far.

FORT Fogey

Karalott--hi. Thanks for the clarification.

i thought everyone knew something I didn't know.

Whew!

For whatever reason, I think the judges really are harder on Donny than they are on either of the two women. With Mya, I kind of understand. She actually is technically the best, if as interesting as watching paint dry. However, Kelly is not as good, technically, as Donny generally is, and it seems like they are grading them both on a Cinderella curve. (Now starring Donny as the Ugly Stepfather?)

I do agree that the Mya/1, Donny/2, Kelly3 scenario seems to be inevitable. I wish they'd allow a little more suspense. On the other hand, it seems they'd give us that by granting Cinderella 9s while shellacking the Stepfather with 7s for comparable work in a breathless race for second place.

The stuff about Donny's managers is all true, however, that happened way back in the 80's after the Osmond craze and his heyday. He also married young, at 21, which never fares well with teenyboppers who will move on to the next teen star when the "fantasy" fades away.

I do believe CA has it in for Donny, she clearly has a fave in Mya. He's not a better dancer than Mya, but he is a better entertainer. The audience loves him, as they do Kelly.

+ Reply to Thread