+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 23 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314151617181920212223 LastLast

Thread: Donny Osmond - Season 9

shoes? who needs shoes?? barefootdyke's Avatar

Re: Donny Osmond - Season 9

Quote Originally Posted by ASassyKat;3720917;
    Donny is a man comfortable in his own skin. He had to over come social anxiety disorder, which plagued him while he was starring in Joseph and the Amazing coat on Broadway. He's overcome anxiety attacks about being on stage in front of a crowd, so for him to even be on this show is an amazing thing in and of itself.

He doesn't take himself too seriously, and he's having fun. I love how he stands at judges table and takes in the good and bad criticism and tries to do better. I think he's representing us baby boomers pretty darn well.
    thank you for explaining it so perfectly ....

Quote Originally Posted by tango7;3721098;
    It's not about his sexuality. Ihe Donny/Bruno thing wasn’t all that funny and it went on too long. Another Osmond desperate for all the screen time they can get.
    Quote Originally Posted by aname2;3721279;
    ...I think it embarrassed Bruno ...
    and i thought it was hilarious ... and i also didn't get the impression that bruno was embarrassed. he appeared to enjoy it too ... why else would he have pulled donny back down and said "do it again!"

Quote Originally Posted by french dip;3721152;
    I guess some people get the Osmonds.....and some don't.
    I feel sorry for those that don't. I find them entertaining and refreshing amongst most of Hollywood's trash.
    amen.

Quote Originally Posted by graycat11;3721233;
    99% of the stars that go on DWTS are either trying to revive their careers, get some publicity, promote their cds or something. This includes the guest stars on elimination night.
    We’re talking about Donny Osmond. Regardless of the reasos that various celebrites participate 99% of the stars do not grandstand and hug/kiss judges and scream “see me, look, love me!!!” and drag it out like the Osmonds continue to do. Donny and Marie have both had their mugs all over the place since Marie was on the show two years ago.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Quote Originally Posted by NCLurker;3720832;
    Let me preface this by saying...I really haven't watched this season and have just skimmed the forums, but this discussion just caught my eye. My comments really are not specific to Donny, just people in general.

Quite honestly, unless there are numerous reports of EGO from numerous sources, I suggest they always be taken with a shaker of salt. It's easy to sit at home and judge someone based on a report from somebody the person in question worked with, however, I am sure that everyone has at least one or two people in their lives with whom they have dealt that would give a negative report when it comes to having a good working relationship. Not all personalities mix. I think we way too often forget this.
    Very well said Going back the trainwrecks of Hollywood, I don't think it's any coincidence that so many people have negative impressions of Lindsey Lohan, Tara Reid, and the faux celebs the Kardashians, Speidi, and K-Fed. And it's why I have such a strong dislike for both Aaron Carter and Joanna Krupa this season. While the Osmonds as teens was way before my time, I've seen Donny/Marie on a variety of things throughout the years, and enjoyed their talk show when they had it. I've never gotten any sense that they're backstage divas or egotistical in the slightest.

Going back to Monday night, I'm surprised anyone would question Donny's sexuality over that episode with Bruno. I think he caught Bruno off guard at first, but I don't know that Bruno was embarrassed. I think the day after, Donny kind of was. But everyone just looked on in shock. I don't think he's the worst person at hamming it up, either (looking at Mr. 'Let Me Swing Into the Audience' Hough here, along with his over dramatic facial expressions). Cloris Leachman still takes the cake as the biggest time wasting, annoying, rude, camera hog ham on this show. Once Donny gets to her levels then yes, I'd have to agree with the criticism. I do think the gag went on a little too long, but that's the only negative thing I can say about it.

I'll also add, I don't think Donny is doing this show for any other reason than to do the dancing part of it, to have fun, and try a new experience. As someone who takes medication for anxiety, I can relate to that all too well. Donny doesn't need to revive his career, he's a Osmond. So I'm enjoying watching him and Kym because I find them entertaining, maybe a little too theatrical at times, but at least he's not a horrible clunker or a ringer. He does take the criticism to heart and seems to really want to improve.

I'm surprised anyone would question Donny's sexuality
    So am I. It's very obvious it was a 'joke' (that went on too long) and Donny was just doing his usual cornball camera-hogging, attention grabbing schtick. If his fans ate it up and it gets him more votes, so be it.
    Last edited by tango7; 10-08-2009 at 01:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by aname2;3721279;
    There was nothing "sexual" about Donny's over-the-top antics with Bruno. Donny is a ham and I guess he thought that was funny. I think it embarrassed Bruno and didn't do Donny any favors with the voters. All that being said, though, I like Donny and always have. Their is an earnestness about him that I find refreshing. He has been in show business nearly all his life and I guess the saying "life is a stage" is true in his case. I do find him to be one of the better dancers but he has a way to go. I'd love to see Kym win this, but don't know if Donny is the ticket to the mirror ball trophy.
    Bruno didn't looked embarrassed, think he takes it in stride . Bruno has a good sense of humor.

Urban Renewal - a new era BuckeyeAddict's Avatar

I feel sorry for those that don't. I find them entertaining and refreshing amongst most of Hollywood's trash.
    I agree.

I often think about how my parents must have been so grateful when I discovered The Osmonds and became a fan of theirs instead of the more controversial artists. And back then, the artists who were bad influences were nothing like they are now.

It's not a matter of "getting", it's a matter of not enjoying bland, committee-written pop. Personally, I prefer musicians with talent. Actually, make that I prefer musicians, not performers.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;3721977;
    It's not a matter of "getting", it's a matter of not enjoying bland, committee-written pop. Personally, I prefer musicians with talent. Actually, make that I prefer musicians, not performers.
    Actually, you should say you prefer "artist" because you might not consider them artists, but all of the Osmond brothers (not Marie) are very accomplished musicians and play many instruments between them. Donny plays piano, and sax that I know for sure, banjo, I think, and several other horn instruments. They were "pop" or bubblegum artists but only because Donny's teen idol star took off and kind of changed the direction the brothers were heading in.

"Donny and Marie" came later and gave Donny a silly "image" but then he went from not even being able to "get arrested" to being quite successful in music and on the stage working with Peter Gabriel, Jeff Beck and Andrew Lloyd Weber among others in the eighties. He seems to be going back to the lame "Donny and Marie" persona lately because like the rest of us he has to make a living but one on one, he quite an interesting and remarkable person.

I have a theory about "performers", especially older ones, on competition reality tv. They don't get the switch. The things that make them crazy, kooky, entertaining and endearing on stage in their real jobs, make them look like attention seeking fame ho's, and unsportmanlike when competing.

Who is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by graycat11;3721803;
    Bruno didn't looked embarrassed, think he takes it in stride . Bruno has a good sense of humor.
    Yeah, you are probably right - nobody's as big a Ham as Bruno (but his antics and what he says crack me up).

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Quote Originally Posted by Phyllie;3722028;
    I have a theory about "performers", especially older ones, on competition reality tv. They don't get the switch. The things that make them crazy, kooky, entertaining and endearing on stage in their real jobs, make them look like attention seeking fame ho's, and unsportmanlike when competing.
    Not that he'd ever do it, but I just got thinking about Robin Williams being on the show. Now there's someone that can barely make it through an interview because he has the hosts laughing so hard. Some people said that how Cloris Leachman acted was the way she had always been, and obviously those of who didn't watch her back in the day didn't get her humor. I think this is just Donny being Donny. He hasn't gone too overboard yet, imo.

+ Reply to Thread