+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Donny Osmond - Season 9

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Re: Donny Osmond - Season 9

Quote Originally Posted by aname2;3714993;
    I like Donny and think he is a pretty good dancer. I don't think he is good enough to look as though he has had much previous training in ballroom, but he is fairly agile, has rhythm and can "sell" it. Do I think he'll win - probably not. But I enjoy his performance and I like Kym very much and it is nice to see that she has a decent partner for a change (she usually gets the old guys, or those with two left feet).
    I'm not really sure why people are writing Donny off as winning. I think he's got one of the better chances just based on his name alone If Donny's had previous ballroom training, I can't say it shows. I think he ranks in the top 5 of dancers this season, but it needs work. In the meantime, though, he and Kym are so much fun to watch! I like Marie but am enjoying this duo so much more. I have to agree, I was really hoping Edyta, Kym, or Anna T. would get Donny. Those ladies rarely ever get lucky in the casting department. I think Mya's obviously got more dance training, ballroom or not, than anyone this season.

sdl

Quote Originally Posted by karalott;3716947;
    I'm not really sure why people are writing Donny off as winning. I think he's got one of the better chances just based on his name alone If Donny's had previous ballroom training, I can't say it shows. I think he ranks in the top 5 of dancers this season, but it needs work. In the meantime, though, he and Kym are so much fun to watch! I like Marie but am enjoying this duo so much more. I have to agree, I was really hoping Edyta, Kym, or Anna T. would get Donny. Those ladies rarely ever get lucky in the casting department. I think Mya's obviously got more dance training, ballroom or not, than anyone this season.
    I dedicated 45 minutes to watching Donnie, as an adult, on youtube. Included were an interview mostly about his Broadway success and the stereotypes that follow him, and a final Las Vegas performance with Marie. Some observations:
    a) He is a very nice guy, warm and genuine.
    b) He is a good singer, for real.
    c) He knows how to perform, including dancing a bit.
    I've never been down on Donnie, although I did fall victim to the overall negative buzz about how cheesy he is...mostly from people who know absolutely nothing about him.
    This changed my perception a lot. Please take a moment to check him out.

FORT Fanatic

A producer who worked with Osmond can't stand him. There are those with Egos, and then there are those with gigantic exploding heads.

I haven't seen it at all, and I hope he hangs around for quite a while.
    No Rain - No Rainbows - Nextel commercial

Quote Originally Posted by Andiemywestie;3717181;
    A producer who worked with Osmond can't stand him. There are those with Egos, and then there are those with gigantic exploding heads.
    I hope that producer gets the help he needs to correct the exploding head thing, because I don't see Donny as having either of those problems.

shoes? who needs shoes?? barefootdyke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sdl;3717066;
    I dedicated 45 minutes to watching Donnie, as an adult, on youtube. Included were an interview mostly about his Broadway success and the stereotypes that follow him, and a final Las Vegas performance with Marie. Some observations:
    a) He is a very nice guy, warm and genuine.
    b) He is a good singer, for real.
    c) He knows how to perform, including dancing a bit.
    I've never been down on Donnie, although I did fall victim to the overall negative buzz about how cheesy he is...mostly from people who know absolutely nothing about him.
    This changed my perception a lot. Please take a moment to check him out.
    that's good to hear.
    ps ... it's spelled with a Y, not IE.

sdl

Quote Originally Posted by barefootdyke;3717286;
    that's good to hear.
    ps ... it's spelled with a Y, not IE.
    Thank you for the spelling correction - not sure how I missed that.
    As for the ego, I appreciate the information. We never really know these people, do we?
    But before I decide that Donny is a fake, and what we see is an act, I would need to know more about the source. He seems pretty real to me.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Given the Osmond's decades of success and in the spotlight, I actually find them to be some of the more grounded, down to earth celebrities out there, compared to others who maybe have only been in the limelight a few years. Now, I've never actually followed them close enough to get behind the scenes dirty details. But, what have I read, people seem to love them, interviewing them, and having them appear on their shows. I think the only dirt I know was something my mom said, about way back when that someone ripped the family off

The pros on this show can usually be a telling factor as to how the pairing is going and what the celeb is like. Kym last season didn't seem to have the same chemistry with DAG as she had with previous partners. She and Donny really seem to be enjoying themselves. And I'm actually happy that the judges aren't completely fawning over Donny and making it so obvious they want him to win. That was one of my worries this season. They have their favorites, but at least it's not as bad as previous seasons (so far).

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;3714977;
    Believe it or not, I have something positive to say about Donny . He's less repugnant than Marie.

That is all.
    I stand corrected. Based upon his egregious display of showboating last night, he is quite fully as repugnant as Marie.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;3719885;
    I stand corrected. Based upon his egregious display of showboating last night, he is quite fully as repugnant as Marie.
    That whole gag might have been funnier if it had not gone on as long as it did. Again, that might be one of those cases where more is not always better.

Generally speaking, I like Donnie's work ethic and his attitude. I think he is doing quite well for a 51 year old man who while a performer is not a Patrick Swayze, Gene Kelley, or Fred Astaire.

Do I think he will win this whole thing? No! Generally speaking it is a younger person (nature of the game), and I think that Donnie might wear down some as other younger people get stronger and better as the season progresses.
    If grace is an ocean, we're all drowning.

- John McMillan

+ Reply to Thread