+ Reply to Thread
Page 37 of 42 FirstFirst ... 27282930313233343536373839404142 LastLast

Thread: 5/18 Show Discussion **spoilers**

FORT Fogey

Re: 5/18 Show Discussion **spoilers**

Congrats to all on making it to the finale!! They helped to make it an enjoyable season and I wish them all luck. Hopefully this show is a stepping stone to making all their dreams come true no matter what that may be.

I may avoid tomorrow night's 2 hour fillerfest...the more and more I think about it, the more underwhelming tonight was as a whole. It'll give me time to watch the new episode of Australia's Next Top Model anyways. It was an enjoyable season altogether however there is nothing about Gilles OR Shawn that I enjoy...to be quite honest.
    "Congratulations, you just peaked. It's all downhill from here, honey"-Noah from TDI
    "If you're one of the 46 uninsured Americans..."-Billy Mays

Hating finales since 2006 finalefan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steppemaster;3456241;
    Me too.

But I also really like the intensity of Gilles' work with Cheryl. It's one of the things he does very well and Cheryl has used it very very well.

Just think about all the emotions has conveyed in his dances--without saying one single word.

He's far and above the other dancers in that.

Far far above.

And IMO it's what his fans find so enticing and gripping about his work.
    Honestly I think this Gilles emotion/intensity factor played out for me weeks ago. He's smoldering hot, oh absolutely. But I feel like I've seen that same look from him week after week.

Quote Originally Posted by Bet2Win;3456246;

Cheryl should have choreographed a dance with Gilles in it. (his body was behind hers so much, couldn't even see him)
    Yeah and the hot pink didn't help matters at all! Not the biggest Gilles fan here, but Cheryl really let him down with her song choice and choreography. Very disappointing. And personally I think it speaks to Cheryl's ego, which I've always found a bit suspect.
    Don't bore us, get to the chorus. - M. Campbell

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

The show has really gotten away from its roots in season 1. While I realize they're now aiming for a younger audience and things have to change, DWTS is one of those shows that really don't need a lot of changes to stay interesting and exciting. Keep the same pros every season, same dances and format, and I'd still be entertained. But since season 6, it really seems to be relying more on the flashy production and entertainment purposes than the dancing. The judges bias and favoritism is getting worse every season. ABC always has their chosen one, and I realize they're telling a story. I mean, would people be that interested if the finale included Ty, Denise, Steve-O, and Lil Kim? Probably not. But I'd like to see it go back more towards what made it so successful than what it's become now. I do feel like if the judges have a beef with a particular pro they'll hold that against the celeb. I also think it can work the opposite way and if they adore the pro the celeb can just show up and smile and they'll give it praise. I really don't like all the hip hop, Carmen Electra, Macy's Stars of Dance routines use for the results show or that the show itself seems to be going into that direction more each season.

As for tonight, for such a great season, it was a real let down. One minor change I'd like to see is no more group dance off. I'd rather see them or the judges pick a dance style and make up a whole new routine to it, do an encore dance, and their freestyle. If they're going to make the judges score so close at the finale, what's the point in them scoring? 6's, 7's, and 8's were better suited for those freestyles, and I'll even say an 8 was pushing it. Mark's looked like a bunch of his and Shawn's routines meshed into one, I'm not sure what the heck Melissa/Tony were doing, but Cheryl's seemed to be the biggest let down. And sad thing is, for once it looked like she was trying to show case herself rather than Gilles. She's done better. I'm surprised so many freestyles have tanked. It's like the possibilites are endless for that round and the pros just come up short.
    Last edited by karalott; 05-19-2009 at 03:30 AM.

Well, Gilles/Cheryl didn't disappoint me at all. He made no mistakes at all in either dance. Shawn made one very small error at the beginning of her freestyle, but everything else was very good. Melissa made quite a few mistakes in both dances that were very obvious. I've seen her dance better before this.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

FORT Fogey

Gilles didn't have much to do in his second dance as it was all focused on Cheryl. I'm surprised because Cheryl's choreography especially in FS is usually amongst the best. Her cowboy routine with Drew is still my fave FS of all time. I was surprised by the song choice too. She's more original than that.
    Shawn wasn't perfect in her FS as she wasn't always in time with Mark. High energy but not perfect. I was surprised by the 30 as it was a little mish mash. Mel and Tony had difficult lifts but needed better connections and it was too predictable. Cheryl and Tony didn't utilize their partners to the best of their ability dance wise.
    Last edited by Nova14; 05-19-2009 at 03:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Debbie8863;3455108;
    I have to say...did nyne else notice...when the Judges said something about team...Mark put his arm on Gilles shoulder...Gilles tried to put his arm on Tony's shoulder but Tony was having none of it.
    I noticed that. I also noticed that Melissa refused to look at, shake hands with or touch Cheryl at all. Cheryl was not in the shot with Melissa at all after Melissa gave her a dirty look and Cheryl looked stunned when they were leaving hte stage after the group dance.

Wonder what that's all about....

I wanted to tell Bruno why has Julianne been allowed to win with her partners basically used as a prop or spotter, Helio.
    Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

I was underwhelmed last night, especially w/ Cheryl & Gilles' freestyle. There is no way that dance deserved a 28. As for Melissa and Tony, I'm becoming a conspiracy theorist....I could not get thru on their line AT ALL. Even so, I think that it is mathematically impossible for Melissa to win, but I still would love to hear from AT&T what the volume of calls for each couple were. Whoever predicted Shawn to win might be holding the golden ticket. She is definitely positioned that way.
    Last edited by psucashcow; 05-19-2009 at 07:15 AM. Reason: Can't spell
    Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day---Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by karalott;3456389;
    The show has really gotten away from its roots in season 1. While I realize they're now aiming for a younger audience and things have to change, DWTS is one of those shows that really don't need a lot of changes to stay interesting and exciting. Keep the same pros every season, same dances and format, and I'd still be entertained. But since season 6, it really seems to be relying more on the flashy production and entertainment purposes than the dancing. The judges bias and favoritism is getting worse every season. ABC always has their chosen one, and I realize they're telling a story. I mean, would people be that interested if the finale included Ty, Denise, Steve-O, and Lil Kim? Probably not. But I'd like to see it go back more towards what made it so successful than what it's become now. I do feel like if the judges have a beef with a particular pro they'll hold that against the celeb. I also think it can work the opposite way and if they adore the pro the celeb can just show up and smile and they'll give it praise. I really don't like all the hip hop, Carmen Electra, Macy's Stars of Dance routines use for the results show or that the show itself seems to be going into that direction more each season.

As for tonight, for such a great season, it was a real let down. One minor change I'd like to see is no more group dance off. I'd rather see them or the judges pick a dance style and make up a whole new routine to it, do an encore dance, and their freestyle. If they're going to make the judges score so close at the finale, what's the point in them scoring? 6's, 7's, and 8's were better suited for those freestyles, and I'll even say an 8 was pushing it. Mark's looked like a bunch of his and Shawn's routines meshed into one, I'm not sure what the heck Melissa/Tony were doing, but Cheryl's seemed to be the biggest let down. And sad thing is, for once it looked like she was trying to show case herself rather than Gilles. She's done better. I'm surprised so many freestyles have tanked. It's like the possibilites are endless for that round and the pros just come up short.
    It's sad that Gilles is being blamed for his dance last night but he did exactly what Cheryl asked him to do. If he does not win it will be because of her. What a shame!

+ Reply to Thread