+ Reply to Thread
Page 36 of 42 FirstFirst ... 2627282930313233343536373839404142 LastLast

Thread: 5/18 Show Discussion **spoilers**

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Re: 5/18 Show Discussion **spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by Smiling In Ill;3456143;
    My wife and I were sitting here watching this show tonight and have decided that this is the last time that we will be watching this show. The judging is so inept and so predictable that it ruins the show. To give a 30 to Shawn for chasing Mark around the dance floor is a joke and Gilles does very little dancing and has done very little all season. It's easy to have the moves connect when there are no moves being made. They judge one couple on how much they have improved. They judge another on how happy they look doing the dance and they judge another on the fact that one judge is so hung up on them that she has to fan herself. And I thought this was a dance contest. At least AI has come to realize that they have a singing contest and judge accordingly. This show is a farce and has been since day one.
    I don't think Idol is any better. The judges there are just as bias, they play favorites, and like DWTS, it's a TV show. If they had the ability to give out scores I doubt it'd be any different than DWTS. Randy does the 'dawg', Paula babbles, Simon is rude, and Kara just does a poor imitation of the 3. And it's not like the best singers go forward or ever win. This is no different than any other finale, and while I rarely agree with the scoring, I'm excited for tomorrow night. They've kept it close, and going into tomorrow no one knows what's going to happen. Everyone's got opinions, including the judges, so TV show aside they're going to vote based on what they liked. It's hard to find anything technical in the freestyle so if everyone's in sync with each other and provides a lively routine that isn't entertaining and not too OTT I think they've accomplished it. This has never been an official ballroom competition, and Tom said that many seasons ago. Popularity weighs in in the end anyway like any other show where viewers vote. The show is one of the highest rated on TV, so it's doing something right. I'll still be tuning in next season. Have to see who the show will go for then

Speaking of poor imitations-hip hop routines should be banned from this show. The pros, except Julianne and Karina, can't choreograph a hip hop routine to save their lives. The group dance last year was beyond a disaster. Any freestyle that goes the freestyle route usually goes down the tubes and costs someone. Plus, the whole two person double cartwheel is so overdone. And is the show really that proud of the music and band? I've often given it a break, but dang, that paso was beyond the worst.

May the best guy or gal win tomorrow night (but hopefully the guy from France).
    Last edited by karalott; 05-19-2009 at 12:44 AM.

sdl

Quote Originally Posted by danielsmom;3456168;
    Could someone please explain this for me

If the judges score make up 50% and the votes the other 50%. how is that tallied.

Melissa has 56 gilles and shawn 58, say that Melissa get most viewers vote, how would/could she win. could someone please explain this to me.
    58+58+56=172 total points awarded
    Gilles' % of 172 points=33.7
    Shawn's % of 172 points=33.7
    Melissa's % of 172 points=32.6
    % of total points + % of fan votes= elimination score
    So, if for example Melissa got 35% of the fan votes and Gilles got 33% and Shawn got 32%, Melissa would be the leader (32.6+35=67.6) and Shawn would be eliminated (33.7+32=65.7).
    Anyway, it isn't going to happen because Melissa's fan base is considerably smaller than Shawn and Gilles at this point.
    But that's how it works theoretically.
    p.s. it gets a little more complicated in the final round when they blend in one more set of judges scores without additional fan voting

FORT Regular

Quote Originally Posted by Smiling In Ill;3456143;
    My wife and I were sitting here watching this show tonight and have decided that this is the last time that we will be watching this show. The judging is so inept and so predictable that it ruins the show. To give a 30 to Shawn for chasing Mark around the dance floor is a joke and Gilles does very little dancing and has done very little all season. It's easy to have the moves connect when there are no moves being made. They judge one couple on how much they have improved. They judge another on how happy they look doing the dance and they judge another on the fact that one judge is so hung up on them that she has to fan herself. And I thought this was a dance contest. At least AI has come to realize that they have a singing contest and judge accordingly. This show is a farce and has been since day one.
    No Kidding! My hubby and I are happy to turn off ABC and turn on Fox. So You Think You Can Dance is starting soon!

Rather boring show tonight. I really expected more from all three. I see that I also wasn't the only one that knew the judges scores based on their comments before they scored the dancers. Seems like the judges are really pushing and hoping for a Shwan/Gilles battle. Personally I would rather see Shawn or Melissa win after Gilles walking around after Cheryl during their freestyle. Cheryl has done some really fantastic choreography before but she failed with tonights.

FORT Regular

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky22;3456127;
    The judges scored the choreography in the freestyles more than the celebrities' dancing. Neither Tony nor Cheryl served their partners well.
    I totally agree. Mark delivered the goods; Cheryl and Tony didn't. And Cheryl's bad judgment floored me. She rarely makes that kind of misstep. Based on what you guys had said about Tony's freestyle with Stacy, I feared he'd flub it again. Although I have to say, I liked the routine more than most of you seemed to and as much as I did Shawn's. I also liked Gilles and Cheryl's routine, but, boy, Gilles didn't have much to do; it was one of the few times I totally agreed with Carrie Ann and Bruno.

Based on the actual dancing moves, Melissa should have been scored higher; Gilles and Shawn should have been judged lower.

And Melissa did make a breakthrough this week on showing the emotion of the dances.

But, basically, they all were pretty even.

The folks who outta be voted off the island are the costumers. What is with the tart styles of this season? And the globby Tammy Faye Baker makeup? Shawn and Melissa are both very pretty; yet they're over made-up -- particularly Melissa. And neither was dressed in flattering styles for much of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by danielsmom;3456168;
    Could someone please explain this for me

If the judges score make up 50% and the votes the other 50%. how is that tallied.

Melissa has 56 gilles and shawn 58, say that Melissa get most viewers vote, how would/could she win. could someone please explain this to me.
    I read that a few days ago. Go to ABC, DWTS. About The Vote explains it, I believe.

Just had to chime in with agreement with those who say that the freestyles tonight STUNK and so did the judges scoring.
    In Shawn's freestyle I saw one if not two mistakes. How did that get a 30? Shawn is cute as a button but her dancing isn't the best.
    I'm a Melissa fan but I wasn't crazy about her freestyle. She looked beautiful and what she did, she did well but I blame Tony as the choreography was lacking.
    Gilles was sexy as always but Cheryl's usual top-notch choreography tried to put the attention on her instead of showcasing his strengths. Not good. She and Drew had, what most of us would agree, the best freestyle ever on the show. This was sad. In act, they all were.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by karalott;3455328;
    Hey, anytime Gilles is onscreen works for me. I don't care what he's doing

Me too.

But I also really like the intensity of Gilles' work with Cheryl. It's one of the things he does very well and Cheryl has used it very very well.

Just think about all the emotions has conveyed in his dances--without saying one single word.

He's far and above the other dancers in that.

Far far above.

And IMO it's what his fans find so enticing and gripping about his work.

Quote Originally Posted by KatydidC;3456204;
    What a letdown of a night. I didn't enjoy a single routine. The Paso music ruined all 3 routines for me.

Mark completely out-danced Shawn in their freestyle. She was a half a beat behind him throughout the routine - hated it. Mel/Tony's freestyle was underwhelming. And well... Cheryl was the star of the last routine. Gilles- did he even dance?

I hate that 10s were flying tonight. None of these performances should have been awarded one. Bleh!

What a downer to a very enjoyable season!! I think I'll skip the finale.

I couldn't believe the judges praising them for being in sinq with each other, she was behind him on so many steps/tricks.

Tony should have choreographed a contemporary routine ... Melissa would have been able to do the contemporary lifts and shown the grace Len was looking for.

Cheryl should have choreographed a dance with Gilles in it. (his body was behind hers so much, couldn't even see him)
    Last edited by Bet2Win; 05-19-2009 at 12:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by steppemaster;3456241;
    Me too.

But I also really like the intensity of Gilles' work with Cheryl. It's one of the things he does very well and Cheryl has used it very very well.

Just think about all the emotions has conveyed in his dances--without saying one single word.

He's far and above the other dancers in that.

Far far above.

And IMO it's what his fans find so enticing and gripping about his work.
    Gilles has a Body that takes all reasonable thought out of your head. I also think he has a way of connecting himself to the dance and making the audience feel the connection also. If that makes sense to anyone.
    Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

+ Reply to Thread