+ Reply to Thread
Page 34 of 42 FirstFirst ... 24252627282930313233343536373839404142 LastLast

Thread: 5/18 Show Discussion **spoilers**

FORT Fogey

Re: 5/18 Show Discussion **spoilers**

I am a bit cranky tonite. Getting sick. Hubby left for Europe. The Bachelorette is the most boring opening show ever for that series and the guys are one step away (mainly) from crazy and too young for her.And the Yankees almost blew (and may still blow) a 6 run lead. Oy

back to DWTS: The Pasos were all qute good. I thought Shawn was a tad overmatched by the taller and leaner Gilles and Melissa. And Mel was well served by the black. I didn't like Gilles in the white but he almost pulled it off. I hated Shawn's costume. The scores are the scores, can't do anything about them at this time. I might have changed a point here or there, but overall, I can live with it.

Freestyles: Shawn was clearly overscored. I hated the outfits,hated the pretension of the opening, found it a rip off of the routine with Kristi, and most of all their timing as a couple was off. Shawn was having a problem keeping up with Ballas who sometimes dances as if to prove how great he is irrespective of his partner. Any routine that allows him to mug loses me at the first face. It was lively, she had fun, it was suitable for her skills and age, but there were many mistakes. Definitely not a perfect score.
    Mel and Tony: I wasn't a fan of the choreography overall, but I actually liked it because again Mel was having fun and seemed so relaxed and at ease. Yeah, Tony kinda copped out by going for her zone, but I think they see the handwriting and at this point he decided to just let her have a blast. The routine was very difficult, but for difficult routines to flow as dances, there needs to be more connectivity between the tricks. Tony cannot choreograph the transitions very well. I am fine with her scores, but I think her routine was better than Shawn's.
    Gilles: Cheryl did not serve him well. I have said all season that his feet are not his strong suit. It's his face, his upper body, his "aura". That's why I have said that Cheryl has used the dancing tip we all get: take the emphasis away from the feet if you are unsure you will hit it. She successfully used the glasses,the superman shirt, the bare chest, the pompadour throughout the competition. This time she made a mistake: she did not find a way to keep the focus on Gilles but away from the non dancing feet. Instead she put the focus on her. Bad move. While I've never been a really big Gilles fan as a dancer per se, he is an entertainer, and he is capable of more, much more than she allowed us to see in the last dance people will judge by.

I would love for Mel to win because I still think she does the most classic and technically difficult dancing on this show and I've seen a big breakthrough in "dance performance". But, I think she's gotten her mojo and her good vibes back from this show and in that regard she's already won...and it's enough for her. If not Mel, then Gilles should win on overall consistency and because Mark should be off my TV, but I think he needed a bigger judge lead to top Shawn in fan base. So, ultimately, despite the surprise of Gilles as the unknown, and the Cinderella Mel laste entry, the show will end up where it always was supposed to: with a Shawn win.

Mel has her happy face and "ego" back and I think is ready to go home. Gilles has gotten his publicity and hopefully some career boost, though I still say this show is not much of a stepping stone. Shawn will go on to college and add another trophy to her case.

It was a good season. Tonite was a little let down, but expectations rarely meet reality.

Did anyone else have trouble voting for Melissa and Tony tonight? We had four phone lines going, and I think we got a total of 5 or 6 votes in. On one phone I got the message that I had reached my vote limit, but had gotten through only once, twice at most. Very strange.

Regardless of Melissa & Gilles outscoring shawn all season, she has it in the bag after that freestyle.

FORT Regular

Quote Originally Posted by ducky2;3456068;
    Did anyone else have trouble voting for Melissa and Tony tonight? We had four phone lines going, and I think we got a total of 5 or 6 votes in. On one phone I got the message that I had reached my vote limit, but had gotten through only once, twice at most. Very strange.
    Yes, I did and there is a thread about it on the mother board. Other people encountered similar problems, but you can still vote online for your favorite.

kultainen, your summary said it all, thanks for posting.
    (Hope you feel better tomorrow)

I really believe it is anybody's game come tomorrow.It will be up to the fans.I had the feeling the judges were pimping Shawn,or maybe they just don't want Melissa in there and want a Shawn/Gilles final 2. I honestly didn't feel Shawn deserved that 30 for the freestyle.

I didn't like any of the freestyles. Are they supposed to be like this? I couldn't believe Len liked Shawn and Mark's routine. I'm new, but based on what I've seen him comment on all season, he should not have liked the "gimmicks." Personally, I would have liked to see more DANCING from all three couples!

I still think Gilles deserves to win, based on his overall performance. I'll be surprised if Shawn wins, just because of her age. But I may be surprised. One of the judges said it tonight (I can't remember who) - because she's young, she cannot emote as well as the others.

When I was a teenager, my choice for Miss America was always 4th runner up. So I guess that means Gilles will go next. Shawn will be 2nd, and Melissa will act surprised and thrilled when she gets the trophy. She's got the fans.

Just wondering: Will the regular DWTS watchers and voters, who really do vote for the best dancer and not their favorite person, vote for overall performance or performance tonight only?
    Last edited by Beachmom; 05-18-2009 at 11:39 PM.

I did not see what was so great about Shawn and Mark's freestyle. Mel's hasn't aired yet, but I made sure to get my online votes in early before the website gets too clogged up. Honestly, I'm kinda sick of Jabbawockeez (or however the heck they abuse the English language, I mean spell it) and I didn't like the opening.
    "Congratulations, you just peaked. It's all downhill from here, honey"-Noah from TDI
    "If you're one of the 46 uninsured Americans..."-Billy Mays

FORT Fogey

The judges scored the choreography in the freestyles more than the celebrities' dancing. Neither Tony nor Cheryl served their partners well. No way did Shawn's performance merit such a high score; it was the choreography that was great. Tony was rebounding from the low score with Stacy for his lackluster choreography by incorporating too many lifts and tricks in Melissa's dance. Actually, it was more a cheerleading-type routine than a dance. Cheryl focused Gilles' freestyle on herself ... what was she thinking? Gilles is a wonderful dancer, and she didn't show off his skill at all. Even the costumes made her stand out and faded him into the background. Shame on her. If Shawn wins based on Mark's great dance routine, I'm gonna be really annoyed, and Tony and Cheryl will only have themselves to thank. Hopefully the fans still voted for Melissa and Gilles despite their misguided freestyles.

FORT Fogey

I understood what Lyn was saying on Gilles' and Cheryl's freestyle. Cheryl's dancing was absolutely superb, and I was enthralled watching her, but it WAS all about her. It was the best dance of the night, but Cheryl in that pink outfit was doing the lion's share of that amazing dance, and Lyn call them on it.

FORT Fogey

Okay--I think I'm calmed down enough to post.

WTH was that stupid music for the group paso?

Taking one of the darkest and most intense and intensely sexual dances and making them dance to "La-la-la, let's take a walk in the park" music?

Somebdy was trying to play a really cruel joke on the Finalists.

I had to turn the sound off--which really reduces the effect of watching someone dance.

IMO only--a riff here on an old movie title--"They Shoot Band Directors, Don't They?"

+ Reply to Thread