+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: ABC's Pick A Pro for Next Season

FORT Fogey

Re: ABC's Pick A Pro for Next Season

Quote Originally Posted by mindy384;3435742;
    Not to mention that many celebs are long & lean...this could even open up a whole demographic (get former supermodels and such). I would die laughing if Janice Dickinson ever appeared on this show! Can you imagine the lip she would give to CA?

But really, they could approach lots of supermodels like Heidi Klum or even the modeling reality show contestants that have found some success in the real world....

I really like Mayo and Anna--I think they are both beautiful dancers! I even reviewed my tape because another poster mentioned that they found Anna 'snobbish' (and I can't stand SNOBS)...fortunately, I didn't see any indication of vanity myself so I can still vote for her! I think the show would really benefit from having either one of these dancers, particularly Mayo who seems to be ridiculously good (guys just dont make lines like that--its silly!).

Also, it seems like the other girl is relying on her family connection for the win, and I hate it when contestants say something like--"she had her turn, now its mine" (really?..are you sure its your turn just because your sister did it (feel entitled much?)...it might be anna's turn...) I think those statements are so presumptuous and tacky.
    I too love Mayo and Anna, but Mayo above all. I just love long lines and clean fast steps. Sure, he's lanky, but not everyone needs to be built the same way. We need some Max of the bulging biceps, and some little boys (maybe not the two we now have) and a grownup like Tony, so what's wrong with a tall male. And let's get some tall females.

Besides, Gilles is 6'2"...and no one is complaining he's too tall.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Quote Originally Posted by MissThing;3439847;
    I went back and googled it. He did have a falling out, with Carrie Ann(e?), about choreography. Since she seems (for whatever reason) to be a key to the show, he won't be back, until she's gone.
    I went and googled it since you had me curious. Is it the issue about them butting heads on the tour? I'm wondering, because Louis was on season 6 even though he didn't last long. The incident in question sounded like it happened after season 3. It's not like Louis would be the first to butt heads with CA. Not only him, but Tony and Maks have made it clear they don't care for her or her style and behind the scenes influence. It must be hard being judged by someone like her. She's a dancer, but not a professional ballroom pro.

FORT Fanatic

I have been most impressed with Anna in the Pick A Pro contest. She is a beautiful dancer and based on what we saw this week, a good teacher.

Quote Originally Posted by karalott;3439962;
    I went and googled it since you had me curious. Is it the issue about them butting heads on the tour? I'm wondering, because Louis was on season 6 even though he didn't last long. The incident in question sounded like it happened after season 3. It's not like Louis would be the first to butt heads with CA. Not only him, but Tony and Maks have made it clear they don't care for her or her style and behind the scenes influence. It must be hard being judged by someone like her. She's a dancer, but not a professional ballroom pro.
    Oh! Tell us more...CA annoys me but I figured she was some big-time former professional.

It is obvious that Len is an 'expert' and Bruno seems to know what he is talking about...it just seems like CA memorized a rule book and that is all she knows (particularly about feet and lifts). I imagine that the pros are more in tune with what dancing is evolving into...and want to incorporate that as the dancing world progresses...but every week they have to hear about a damn toe during a lift or something ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by mindy384;3440866;
    Oh! Tell us more...CA annoys me but I figured she was some big-time former professional.

It is obvious that Len is an 'expert' and Bruno seems to know what he is talking about...it just seems like CA memorized a rule book and that is all she knows (particularly about feet and lifts). I imagine that the pros are more in tune with what dancing is evolving into...and want to incorporate that as the dancing world progresses...but every week they have to hear about a damn toe during a lift or something ridiculous.
    From what I've read, Bruno's background is primarily choreography for stage shows, videos, movies & TV.
    “When life kicks you, let it kick you forward.” Kay Yow

Quote Originally Posted by mindy384;3440866;

CA is a former dancer, but has never had ballroom training. She used to be one of the Fly Girls on In Living Color (along with Jennifer Lopez), and toured with Madonna (a very interesting side of CA there I might add ) So basically while she may be a qualified dancer, she doesn't know much about the ballroom community or the rules. I don't know if she's full out hip hop, but that's what she leans more towards. Maks had hinted last season that there were struggles for changes going on behind the scenes, and he, Tony, and Karina would stay tight to the show's true premise. He hinted that CA was one of the people who wanted the show to sort of stray from strictly and traditional ballroom. He and Tony at one point a few seasons ago said the show was talking the route of flash and trash. If you compare past group dances and pro demonstrations, there is a difference. It's more like a flashy number that is more about presentation and putting on a show than dancing. Tony's had an issue with CA going back to his debut in season 2. When he and Stacy did their freestyle, CA criticized it and Tony cut her off and said 'What else is new'. In future seasons, I think she's always been the one to point out to him that, more or less, his choreography sucks. He doesn't give his partners enough to do, wasn't pushing them to their limits. I can't remember what thread it was in, but someone mentioned how they're so generous with their scores, even on the first week. Funny side story about CA, she was going to judge an actual ballroom competition I think right before this season started. She asked if she could do it. I guess they were going to let her, but there was such an uproar over having her judge that they just made her an honorary judge and she handed out awards that meant nothing.

Well, I'm happy Maks and Kym are coming back to do the pro dances. I'll be curious how Maks will handle letting someone else do the choreography for a change and just following orders. I guess there weren't many female pros they could pick from to dance with Mayo because of his height. I'm bummed he's still in it, but happy for Anna.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by karalott;3445292;
    Well, I'm happy Maks and Kym are coming back to do the pro dances. I'll be curious how Maks will handle letting someone else do the choreography for a change and just following orders. I guess there weren't many female pros they could pick from to dance with Mayo because of his height. I'm bummed he's still in it, but happy for Anna.
    I am not bunned at all. I hope Mayo takes the win. Or that both of them join and dance as a tandem when required. He's the best of the dancers out there, bar none. He's the only one who is still competing, he has won championships, and he started much later which means it's natural abiltiy. So he is tall. And lean. Seems a certain french man is causing many on these boards to ignore his height and not see it as a problem. Mayo is less than one inch taller than Gilles. So, if Gilles can dance with Cheryl, Mayo could. And Kim, and Edyta...and many many other women out there who aren't 5 foot rappers or 4'11" olympic gymnasts. And, on the male side we don't just need smoldering short muscular guys. variety is the spice...

I think either of them would make a good edition as a pro and I would think that height would be more of an issue for Anna than for Mayo. She is quite tall and ballroom doesn't look nearly as good for me when the woman is taller than the man.

I was also thinking that if Juliette, Mark, and Derek all leave, they could choose to hire both Anna and Mayo for next season.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel;3447789;
    I think either of them would make a good edition as a pro and I would think that height would be more of an issue for Anna than for Mayo. She is quite tall and ballroom doesn't look nearly as good for me when the woman is taller than the man.

I was also thinking that if Juliette, Mark, and Derek all leave, they could choose to hire both Anna and Mayo for next season.
    Considering Tom keeps saying that the winner will at least get a spot, I don't think the others are completely ruled out. I don't know if the show would hire both Anna and Mayo. The judges seem to really like Anna, and dance wise she could dance circles around Mayo. But they really seemed to like Afton and Genya, too, so who knows, we might be seeing those two show up.

+ Reply to Thread