+ Reply to Thread
Page 23 of 27 FirstFirst ... 131415161718192021222324252627 LastLast

Thread: 3/24 Show Discussion **spoilers**

Mean Judges

I really think the public voted to keep Steve W because of the cruel remarks made to him by the judges. And there was no reason to humiliate him with scores of 3 and 4. These are amateurs and they should get 5 at the very least just for showing up. The public will eventually weed him out. The judges just anger the audience by being so rude.
    Lead me not into temptation ~ I can find the way myself

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Re: 3/24 Show Discussion **spoilers**

I forgot to add, regarding pro dances, I loved what we saw with Alec/Edyta (always my fave) and Karina, Maks, Dmitry, and Tony. To heck with the kid's ballroom competition and Macy's Stars of Dance, I want to see more pro numbers.

Re: Mean Judges

Quote Originally Posted by Fixxin2;3392815;
    I really think the public voted to keep Steve W because of the cruel remarks made to him by the judges. And there was no reason to humiliate him with scores of 3 and 4. These are amateurs and they should get 5 at the very least just for showing up. The public will eventually weed him out. The judges just anger the audience by being so rude.
    I don't agree that they should automatically just get a 5. On SCD they whip out the 1's, 2's, and 3's like they do the 8's, 9's, and 10's over here. I think the judges do need to evaluate their scores and comments, because when they overscore someone that means they have to overscore another couple who may not have earned higher scores but did better than the previous couple. I also think they don't need to be cruel, because, as everyone's pointed out, this isn't a ballroom competition, the prize is a mirrorball trophy and perhaps a leap back from obscurity. I'd rather see them just be constructive and say hey, you stunk but here's what you need to work on or hey you were great, but you could do this better. It's also hypocritical that they play everything nice for contestants like Cloris and Susan but rip into the Woz when they really weren't much better. I thought the same thing with Rocco last season. I didn't think he was that bad and they tore him up every week. I don't think Woz deserved 3's, but 4's and 5's were apporpriate.
    Last edited by MFWalkoff; 03-25-2009 at 09:46 PM.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Peacheater;3392793;
    It appears that I was wrong to have concluded that this show is about dancing. As a former ballroom instructor, I had hoped for more. I've seen hundreds of amateur dancers who are better than either of the Steves, including every dancer on this show from the first week.

Perhaps I'm simply a purist, but I could only cringe and be embarrassed for dance as an art from when watching Belinda, Steve-O or Steve W.
    It is about dancing, but it is an entertainment show first, and it is enshrined within the genre of reality tv to boot which at times is synonomous with drama. (This reality tv show is really light on the drama compared to some of the others, imo. )

Here is my guess and speculation: Steve W, likeable fellow who tries very hard, simply cannot dance. His scores indicated that, and he was at the very bottom of dialidol. However, what he knew and what the rest of us in general did not know was that there was this sort of underground movement, so to speak, among the world of the computer geeks who rallied their forces and texted or voted online for him. There is no telling what his final fan vote was. ( I saw an article backing up this idea about the geeks voting for him).

Steve-O makes a living making a fool out of himself, and there are many, many people who enjoy that - enough so that they rallied to his defense when the "mean" judges voted his dance poorly. Therefore, maybe he did get enough fan votes to stay out of trouble for a little while - maybe and then again maybe not!!! Again....drama!

If nothing changes, and no one dances siginificantly more poorly next week, for drama, I think we will see a dance off of the ta- ta.....2 Steves!!

The surprise was Holly who was actually way up in the pack on the fan vote.

I think that the producers "fudged" a little for drama on Holly whose combined vote was probably NOT the 2nd lowest. I think Holly was what we would call last season in the "bottom 2" which didn't always mean they actually had the lowest vote either - because remember that we technically aren't supposed to have any idea at all of what the fan vote is.

My guess is that in seasons past the producers for drama would occasionally pull someone who was really pretty safe out of the middle of the pack and put them in the red light knowing that they weren't going anywhere, so no harm was done.

Thus, I believe Holly was in the danceoff last night with Denise, similarly paired for drama, but Holly was never going.

Next week, I think you may possibly see at least one and maybe both Steves go in a big dramatic finish.
    Last edited by Marleybone; 03-26-2009 at 04:54 PM.
    Take my advice. I am not using it.

With a double elimination next week, will there be a danceoff amongst the bottom 3 (4?) couples?

Quote Originally Posted by karalott;3392823;
    I don't agree that they should automatically just get a 5. On SCD they whip out the 1's, 2's, and 3's like they do the 8's, 9's, and 10's over here. I think the judges do need to evaluate their scores and comments, because when they overscore someone that means they have to overscore another couple who may not have earned higher scores but did better than the previous couple. I also think they don't need to be cruel, because, as everyone's pointed out, this isn't a ballroom competition, the prize is a mirrorball trophy and perhaps a leap back from obscurity. I'd rather see them just be constructive and say hey, you stunk but here's what you need to work on or hey you were great, but you could do this better. It's also hypocritical that they play everything nice for contestants like Cloris and Susan but rip into the Woz when they really weren't much better. I thought the same thing with Rocco last season. I didn't think he was that bad and they tore him up every week. I don't think Woz deserved 3's, but 4's and 5's were apporpriate.
    I'll admit that I vote in response to the judges' score; that is, if I feel they have over- or underscored a performance. If it were accumulative, I'd vote differently but since it's a clean slate each week, I'll get to the top dancers later in the program and for now, I'm more focused on the middle and the bottom of the pack.
    Last edited by MFWalkoff; 03-25-2009 at 09:46 PM.

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by karalott;3392820;
    I forgot to add, regarding pro dances, I loved what we saw with Alec/Edyta (always my fave) and Karina, Maks, Dmitry, and Tony. To heck with the kid's ballroom competition and Macy's Stars of Dance, I want to see more pro numbers.
    ITA. I have replayed the above performances numerous times. They were absolutely wonderful!

Quote Originally Posted by justsaying;3393145;
    I'll admit that I vote in response to the judges' score; that is, if I feel they have over- or underscored a performance. If it were accumulative, I'd vote differently but since it's a clean slate each week, I'll get to the top dancers later in the program and for now, I'm more focused on the middle and the bottom of the pack.
    Right now I'm splitting my votes between Gilles, DAG, and LT. I'm not taking any chances with Gilles despite him being a front runner with the judges. Sabrina Bryan fans made that mistake and who really knows where he ends up after the viewer votes. If I feel they scored one of my favorites low, I'm apt to give them couple of votes (not one of my die hard faves but someone I think could use the vote).

Quote Originally Posted by Bloomers;3392866;
    It is about dancing, but it is an entertainment show first, and it is enshrined within the genre of reality tv to boot which at times is synonomous with drama. (This reality tv show is really light on the drama compared to some of the others, imo. )

Here is my guess and speculation: Steve W, likeable fellow who tries very hard, simply cannot dance. His scores indicated that, and he was at the very bottom of dialidol. However, what he knew and what the rest of us in general did not know was that there was this sort of underground movement, so to speak, among the world of the computer geeks who rallied their forces and texted or voted online for him. There is no telling what his final fan vote was. ( I saw an article backing up this idea about the geeks voting for him).

Steve-O makes a living making a fool out of himself, and there are many, many people who enjoy that - enough so that they rallied to his defense when the "mean" judges voted his dance poorly. Therefore, maybe he did get enough fan votes to stay out of trouble for a little while - maybe and then again maybe not!!! Again....drama!

If nothing changes, and no one dances siginificantly more poorly next week, for drama, I think we will see a dance off of the ta- ta.....2 Steves!!

The surprise was Holly who was actually way up in the pack on the fan vote.

I think that the producers "fudged" a little for drama on Holly whose combined vote was probably NOT the 2nd lowest. I think Holly was what we would call last season in the "bottom 2" which didn't always mean they actually had the lowest vote either - because remember that we technically aren't supposed to have any idea at all of what the fan vote is.

My guess is that in seasons past the producers for drama would occasionally pull someone who was really pretty safe out of the middle of the pack and put them in the red light knowing that they weren't going anywhere, so no harm was done.

Thus, I believe Holly was in the danceoff last night with Denise, similarly paired for drama, but Holly was never going.

Next week, I think you may possibly see at least one and maybe both Steves go in a big dramatic finish.

I would like to see Steve O go next week. Woz can't dance, but he is the biggest one giving 150% more than any one else
    Last edited by Marleybone; 03-26-2009 at 04:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by karalott;3392820;
    ICAM. I don't want the dance off. I want to see the pro's dancing.

+ Reply to Thread