+ Reply to Thread
Page 64 of 68 FirstFirst ... 14545556575859606162636465666768 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: DialIdol & Fan Poll Discussion for DWTS **POSSIBLE SPOILERS**

FORT Fogey

Re: DialIdol & Fan Poll Discussion for DWTS **POSSIBLE SPOILERS**

Quote Originally Posted by MFWalkoff View Post
    Which is why I'm wondering why people get so worked up about Ricki & Derek, because J.R.'s fanbase is simply unbeatable. Will people be mad even if Derek comes in second?

I'd be happy if either Nancy or Hope goes tonight, and it looks like it will be between them thanks to the raw numbers. Hope has the advantage over Nancy thanks to the team scores, but it will really come down to a battle of the fanbases (Nancy's or Maks)

Actually, most people are probably unaware of the raw numbers and/or don't trust them, so it may not play into their perception of anyone. I know I don't pay that much attention to them, because I'm not sure I trust them all that much. Given that Ricki and Derek both had fans coming into the competition and that Karina isn't a huge favorite among long time viewers and that J.R. wasn't all that well known, I don't think it's unreasonable for people to have assumed--or to continue to assume--that he may not be a shoe in to win. I think he's likely made more fans for himself because of the way he's handled himself on the show, but that doesn't necessarily mean all that much either. Gilles went from someone not that many people knew to a huge fan favorite and he was paired with Cheryl, a multiple winner, and they still lost to Mark and Shannon.

A lot of it always comes down to how they handle the finale, and we never seem to know what the rules will be for that, because they keep changing them.

I think fans of R/D and J.R./K both have reasons to be concerned about the competition.

FORT Fogey

I look at Dial Idol as a type of voters' poll - similar to any kind of a voting poll, even a political poll.

The Raw Numbers appear to equate to the calls coming in - or the votes - which would implicate the couples' popularity with those who call in.
    This gives us a rough idea at least on this poll the popularity of each couple for that particular week.

The DWTS score on the other hand is some kind of a mathematical formula that combines the judges' scores plus the raw scores.

What the DWTS scores this week show me are a couple of things:

1. On the DI poll, the scores this week at the bottom are fairly close, especially if you look at the Raw Numbers ( the popularity portion).

Here we can speculate. We don't know about texting. Also, the producers DON'T even pretend to verify their vote with an outside independent accounting firm, so the producers may decide who is the best couple to exit front stage, so to speak.

They have been dramatically setting the stage up for Hope to leave with all of the contention between her and Maks as welll as between Max and the judges, but then David would be an upset ( which they unfortunately like), and then we have Nancy who has her definite crowd of fans as well... so it might be that they are already trying to look ahead and begin to set up the finals.

Or, they may just let the chips fall as they will which I think they do sometimes when it truly behooves them to do and let go whoever actually got the least votes.

2. If you will look back at DI, you will see that J. R. is often ahead of Derek and Ricki - sometimes substantially - even though Derek and Ricki have the higher scores.
    That tells me that the Raw Scores - or the popular vote - is coming in for J. R.

This is only a speculation.This is also my opinion only. Derek is a fabulous choreographer and dancer. Frankly, I think he probably most likely beats out even Cheryl. The producers also most likely suspected that J.R. would be embraced as a (wounded war) favorite. He dances well, and he has a fantastic attitude. That is hard to beat; therefore, I surmise that to offset J.R. the producers selected Derek to partner Ricki who has a dance experience (it tends to come back) as well as a built-in fan club and a great attitude herself. The hope, I think, was that maybe there would be a race between the combination of the fabulous dancer/choreographer/proven winner Derek and Ricki and the bound to be loved, and probably going to be good Hispanic dancer, J.R. with the softened up Karina.

We have seen the choreographies that Derek pulls off. We might hate that he has won so much, but he can make anyone who has some potential look great with his choreographies and the way that he himself dances around.
    The judges are responding - in my opinion - as they are expected to, but the fans are also responding in the way that they were probably anticipated to have responded as well.

That is my opinion and speculation which may or may not hold any water.

FORT Fogey

Which is why I'm wondering why people get so worked up about Ricki & Derek, because J.R.'s fanbase is simply unbeatable. Will people be mad even if Derek comes in second?

I'd be happy if either Nancy or Hope goes tonight, and it looks like it will be between them thanks to the raw numbers. Hope has the advantage over Nancy thanks to the team scores, but it will really come down to a battle of the fanbases (Nancy's or Maks)
    I like Ricki but am not "worked up" and I won't be disappointed if they come in second; I expect it.

Where are these raw numbers posted?

When I said "worked up" I meant people who are more anti-Derek, and are afraid that he might win again.

At the DialIdol site, there is a pulldown menu for looking at the data different ways, one of which is "raw numbers" as opposed to DialIdol's index, which they interpolate from the numbers. Usually, the raw numbers have been a better indicator of what's going to happen, although it's never truly accurate because it only takes phone calls into consideration and not internet voting.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

When I said "worked up" I meant people who are more anti-Derek, and are afraid that he might win again.

At the DialIdol site, there is a pulldown menu for looking at the data different ways, one of which is "raw numbers" as opposed to DialIdol's index, which they interpolate from the numbers. Usually, the raw numbers have been a better indicator of what's going to happen, although it's never truly accurate because it only takes phone calls into consideration and not internet voting.
    Once my favorite pros get the Hough treatment for a season, and Derek deals with what every other pro has dealt in regards to crappy partners and being shafted by the judges, and is one of the first to go, then we can call it even

DI has been somewhat accurate this season and last, although I don't know if it's just luck. I don't think they take texting into account, either. I'd be curious to see what the largest means of voting is-online (and since you can have multiple user accounts, I'm guessing that might be it), phone, or texting. And while we could never get an accurate count, I'd be curious how much a pros fanbase weighs in whether their celeb stays or goes. That's why I think switching partners up for a couple of weeks would be interesting.

FORT Fogey

Ahhh. I like Derek, always have; he is one of my favorites. Thanks for the info.
    Fanny Mare likes this.

Nah MF I wouldn't be upset (since it is expected). But what I would really love to see is him coming in third. I think that would piss him off
    karalott likes this.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Quote Originally Posted by jucamer View Post
    Nah MF I wouldn't be upset (since it is expected). But what I would really love to see is him coming in third. I think that would piss him off
    I'm hoping he goes out in 4th and just misses out. Oh, and that Rob goes out in 5th. But that's more to see CA be shattered than anything else. I could even take Nancy in the finals if that's what it took. She doesn't really bother me, I'm just find her fake and boring. But she's got Tristan, so that's a plus. If Maks really does leave after this season, I'll need the eye candy. And I love his accent. Derek has to be in the finals and lose one of these times. If it's not this season, I don't know when it'll be. But I don't think Ricki will be very popular beating J.R. (or anyone beating him, for that matter). I'm just ready for the season to be over. Hopefully next season the better dancers have fanbases, and it's not a two person race by week 3.
    jucamer likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoepie View Post
    Ahhh. I like Derek, always have; he is one of my favorites. Thanks for the info.
    So do I.I missed him, I just didnt realise how much.

One thing you have to take into account is the fact that we, as fans, actually only get to vote on the final three. We never actually get to vote between the final two.

+ Reply to Thread