+ Reply to Thread
Page 49 of 68 FirstFirst ... 394041424344454647484950515253545556575859 ... LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: DialIdol & Fan Poll Discussion for DWTS **POSSIBLE SPOILERS**

Re: DialIdol & Fan Poll Discussion for DWTS **POSSIBLE SPOILERS**

Quote Originally Posted by n4692u;4112782;
    What I'm saying is, the way I understand it, Jenn was winning the call-in votes, but I think most of Kyle & Bristol's come from online. The website was messed up here cst until after midnight when most people here and on the east coast were asleep and didn't get to vote. They were just getting warmed up voting on the west cost, where I would think Jenn's base is. I'll never believe that Jenn got more viewer votes than Kyle and Bristol if it wasn't rigged. All I can say is the "ringer" wins again, and she was a ringer. Why even watch this show if you know who is going to win from the first episode.
    Do you have evidence to back this up? Please post a link to an article if you do. Otherwise, opinions are just opinions.

I voted for Jenn and I did it online. Before that, I voted for Brandy online and by phone.

I hardly think Jennifer is a ringer. She played a non-dancer who learned to dance one routine well in a movie over 20 years ago. She may have an aptitude for dance, but she's not a ringer. I've grown to hate that term. If she wins, it means people voted for the person they thought was the best dancer vs, the person with the most personality.

The truth of the matter is, websites crash when there's heavy traffic. It's happened here at FoRT many times. There's no conspiracy. It's just what happens when servers get overloaded.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I agree that Jennifer was not a ringer, but everyone I discussed DWTS with thought she was --- a reasonable to assumption given her claim to fame was a movie about dancing.

I think people that call her a ringer are just too lazy to type out frontrunner. Now, Jennifer Biels on "Flashdance" would be a ringer as she was a trained dancer.

Nicole and Mya were RINGERS and trained professional dancers. Still though, Nicole (especially) and Mya had a lot of flare and deserved to win. Man, I keep forgetting Mya didn't win.

ETA: I don't think the judges scores mattered. Jennifer had the votes for sure. Hello, a Dirty Dancing tribute freestyle? That movie is iconic and the audience for this show is older anyways. Not like anyone of any age hasn't seen the movie.
    Last edited by hott4hill; 11-24-2010 at 04:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hott4hill;4113348;
    I think people that call her a ringer are just too lazy to type out frontrunner. Now, Jennifer Biels on "Flashdance" would be a ringer as she was a trained dancer.

Nicole and Mya were RINGERS and trained professional dancers. Still though, Nicole (especially) and Mya had a lot of flare and deserved to win. Man, I keep forgetting Mya didn't win.
    No, she wasn't a trained dancer. A huge portion of her character's dancing in Flashdance was performed by Marine Jahan, although she was initially not credited for it. Jennifer Beals was definitely not a dancer.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

Oh, I never knew that. I just remember the final dance scene where she was doing those pirouettes. That was a stunt double? She still had great athleticism. I haven't seen that movie in awhile and I can still remember those legs.

There's almost always some kind if voting controversy on this type of show.
    DWTS isn't subject to stringent game show rules, there's no need for them to create a situation whereby a supposedly favoured person wins and I certainly don't see why they'd want to subject themselves to allegations of rigging by deliberately making their website unavailable for voting on the night of the finale.
    I also don't think there's any evidence out there that the appeal of any of the finalists is concentrated in one geographical area.
    Of course that's just opinion too.
    I was able to vote the following morning five times with no problem.
    "That's Numberwang!"

Quote Originally Posted by hott4hill;4113355;
    Oh, I never knew that. I just remember the final dance scene where she was doing those pirouettes. That was a stunt double? She still had great athleticism. I haven't seen that movie in awhile and I can still remember those legs.
    Yep, it was all a double. There was a big controversy at the time because the dancer was not listed in the credits - they were trying to make it look like Jennifer did her own dancing. When Marine went to the press, the producers admitted it and I think she was added to the credits when it went to video.
    Pretty much unless you clearly saw Jennifer's face and body in the same shot dancing, it was a double.

I was a dancer at the time and we all idolized Marine and Cynthia Rhodes (who went on to do Dirty Dancing, of course!) in that movie. Jennifer had a great bod, but Marine's body (and Cynthia's too) was aspirational.

Quote Originally Posted by veg_out;4112535;
    Online voting was a scene last night for whatever reason. At face value, it could be largely attributed to an enormous group of people trying to vote which overwhelmed the server and the site. In a season full of conspiracy theories, I'm not sure that many people aren't wondering if other "reasons" explain the difficulty, esp. in light of the heat DWTS took last week with Brandy's elimination. It was possibly the first time--correct me if I'm wrong, veteran viewers--that the producer had to directly speak about the voting system. Based on this detail and the intense scrutiny that the show is receiving from viewers, I could see the show adjusting things to protect itself. As we've said since last week, if Bristol wins, DWTS might as well pack up and go home. To prevent that, I don't think it's beyond them to help Jenn win, both by the online voting glitches and that tonight, the scoring will flagrantly separate her from the rest of the kids.
    If a show is going to have viewer voting and claim that the audience plays a large part in selecting the winner then there should be some sort of oversight and disclosure--even American Idol (bless its heart) follows some rules even though they allow individuals to vote a gazillion times if they can manage...AI implements strategies (ex:opening lines after all of the performances) and has an independent firm verify the results.

As far as Im concerned the fact that DWTS has NEVER shared any numbers, is very tight-lipped about their scoring/results and consistently has problems with the voting further proves that the viewer votes simply represent a strategic tool used by tptb to encourage participation that plays no actual role in the outcome. Having the audience take part and feel like they are contributing keeps them involved in the process and that is exactly what ABC wants--but are they counting those votes and really taking them into consideration...I wouldn't count on it. (if they were don't you think they'd at least try to get all the votes by beefing up their servers and ensuring that viewers have time to vote). Sure, every now and then they may realize that a lot of folks are supporting a particular person but at the end of the day the producers are going to keep whomever is bringing in the ratings and $$.

To further prove my point let me use the Bristol debacle this season. Up until the finale it seemed that half of freaking America was voting for her--and while I doubt it was as crazy as many people believed the facts are this:
    with her lower scores she either:
    1-DID in fact receive FAR FAR more viewer votes than any other contestants
    or
    2-the producers kept her around for drama

If the situation was '1' then I doubt Bristol's fans somehow disappeared on finale night. Also, as much as I hate to admit it, she actually did a pretty good job (I was shocked) so she could have actually picked up more votes. She had a lot of blocs following/voting for her, including: a chunk of the youth vote, people voting for political reasons, the vote for the worst sites, etc... I guarantee these people showed up en masse for the finale...so what happened--the judges scores were close enough for her to easily overtake anyone with this mountain of viewer support, just like the rest of the season. Answer: votes weren't counted or considered.
    If the situation was number 2 then weve arrived at the same conclusion..for the entire season votes werent counted or considered and week by week they knocked off a contestant to keep Bristol to the finales and give her 3rd place. Either way, the only conclusion we can reach is that DWTS has a lot of splaining to do....

Quote Originally Posted by mindy384;4113622;

To further prove my point let me use the Bristol debacle this season. Up until the finale it seemed that half of freaking America was voting for her--and while I doubt it was as crazy as many people believed the facts are this:
    with her lower scores she either:
    1-DID in fact receive FAR FAR more viewer votes than any other contestants
    or
    2-the producers kept her around for drama

If the situation was '1' then I doubt Bristol's fans somehow disappeared on finale night. Also, as much as I hate to admit it, she actually did a pretty good job (I was shocked) so she could have actually picked up more votes. She had a lot of blocs following/voting for her, including: a chunk of the youth vote, people voting for political reasons, the vote for the worst sites, etc... I guarantee these people showed up en masse for the finale...so what happened--the judges scores were close enough for her to easily overtake anyone with this mountain of viewer support, just like the rest of the season. Answer: votes weren't counted or considered.
    If the situation was number 2 then weve arrived at the same conclusion..for the entire season votes werent counted or considered and week by week they knocked off a contestant to keep Bristol to the finales and give her 3rd place. Either way, the only conclusion we can reach is that DWTS has a lot of splaining to do....
    I agree with much of what you've said, but we really don't know that she received far more viewer votes than anyone else. She only needed to beat one person every week to stay. Most of the time she wasn't that far adrift from the pack and the week Florence was eliminated, for example, (by my very quick mental math) Florence got about 11.5% of the judges points and Bristol got just under 10%. Not much of a gap to make up.
    When Brandy was eliminated she got 57 points out of 228 awarded, 25%, Bristol got 53, about 23.25%. Again, she only needed to beat one person and that was not much of a deficit to make up.
    She really might have been scraping through all season.
    Last edited by fluff; 11-24-2010 at 01:50 PM.
    "That's Numberwang!"

Yeah, I was about to say the same thing. There were some weeks (from like F7 onward) where she was really only like a few points behind the nearest person. I was kind of shocked she stayed the week Florence left just because 2% is a lot to make up with 8 people splitting the vote. All the other weeks I really wasn't that shocked. I saw Brandy's exit from a mile away after how Maks acted the week prior and then they had boring choreography that night and Bristol got praise.

I honestly would be shocked if Jennifer didn't dominate the voting every week just like she did with the leaderboard. I am pretty confident she got the most votes on the final night too with that freestyle. Nobody else really did that great.

+ Reply to Thread