+ Reply to Thread
Page 48 of 68 FirstFirst ... 383940414243444546474849505152535455565758 ... LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: DialIdol & Fan Poll Discussion for DWTS **POSSIBLE SPOILERS**

FORT Fan

Re: DialIdol & Fan Poll Discussion for DWTS **POSSIBLE SPOILERS**

Is it too much to ask to expect that valid viewers should WATCH the show and ANALYZE the dancers before calling in their precious votes????

Quote Originally Posted by Tammi;4112355;
    Is it too much to ask to expect that valid viewers should WATCH the show and ANALYZE the dancers before calling in their precious votes????
    Being on the west coast I read all the spoilers on all the shows here. Already got to see both Bristols utube dance before show started. Was able then to vote right at eight oclock. No I did not see the other dancers but I did get to see who I had already decided to vote for.

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by sunshine2;4112367;
    Being on the west coast I read all the spoilers on all the shows here. Already got to see both Bristols utube dance before show started. Was able then to vote right at eight oclock. No I did not see the other dancers but I did get to see who I had already decided to vote for.
    Like I said previously....

I realize that you are surely not the only person who votes in that manner but, as a director of both school and community theatre productions, I would be crucified if I entered auditions with pre-conceived notions. Believe it or not, I force myself to listen, watch and THEN cast my shows. Often our hopes for the successes of our favorites are simply biased, and not based on fairness and realism.

If the dancers and the pros work as diligently as it appears they do, don't they deserve our full attention before making a personal assessment?? When the audience is offered the opportunity to vote, an intelligent analysis seems the only legitimate outcome.

I trust that viewers have not already chosen their favorite for the next American Idol voting....it doesn't begin for a couple months!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tammi;4112389;
    Like I said previously....

I realize that you are surely not the only person who votes in that manner but, as a director of both school and community theatre productions, I would be crucified if I entered auditions with pre-conceived notions. Believe it or not, I force myself to listen, watch and THEN cast my shows. Often our hopes for the successes of our favorites are simply biased, and not based on fairness and realism.

If the dancers and the pros work as diligently as it appears they do, don't they deserve our full attention before making a personal assessment?? When the audience is offered the opportunity to vote, an intelligent analysis seems the only legitimate outcome.

I trust that viewers have not already chosen their favorite for the next American Idol voting....it doesn't begin for a couple months!!
    While I would agree with your point, you can't vote after the dances are in, because you won't get through and your vote doesn't get counted. I learned that the hard way trying to "save" Melissa when Ty Murray had better scores. I tried to call and couldn't get through. Last year I got smart and voted for my favorite, Evan, as soon as 7:00 rolled around. I always got through. Maybe you should email ABC and see about getting polls to stay open more than 30 minutes so that people can wait. Otherwise, we have to vote on our favorite, or on what we saw last week because we have to vote when the show starts. Even Brooke was telling people to vote before the end or you wouldn't get through the last couple of weeks. TPTB are promoting "early voting" by the way the system is set up. As a singer who has had to audition for things, sometimes against people more known than me, I appreciate when the people accepting (or not) my audition are keeping an open mind. This show, however is set up for people to vote their favorites, not who is the best. My favorite is Britol for better or for worse and I have my reasons. Others love Jen. Others love Kyle. All should vote and if you want best dancer to win, cast your vote. But if you wait until the end, you won't get through and can't guarantee that your person who think is best will stay on or win. Been that way since the beginning of the show.
    "We were just going to do whatever it took to win."--Texas Longhorn Quarterback Colt McCoy

The whole voting system is jacked-up, imo.
    I don't like that the couples keep the same number throughout the season, or that people have so much trouble voting after the show is done. I don't know why ABC would want to make it easy to vote without even watching the show.

I don't usually put much stock in DI results. I don't think their sample is large enough to be truly accurate and I've been burned in the past by holding out hope they'd be right when they ended up being wrong.
    "That's Numberwang!"

Quote Originally Posted by fluff;4112397;
    The whole voting system is jacked-up, imo.
    I don't like that the couples keep the same number throughout the season, or that people have so much trouble voting after the show is done. I don't know why ABC would want to make it easy to vote without even watching the show.

I don't usually put much stock in DI results. I don't think their sample is large enough to be truly accurate and I've been burned in the past by holding out hope they'd be right when they ended up being wrong.
    I think it would be a good idea to change from week to week what numbers we vote on. Also I notice watching the skating show, that they didn't open their poll until after the show was over. That prevented folks from voting before they saw the skater/celeb skate. Maybe Dancing should follow suit. I also think starting next year, that Brooke tell everyone to vote for who they think is best dancer/should win, rather than their favorite. Should settle the controversy, though people are still going to vote for their favorites and you will still see Cameron Matheson get saved over Sabrina and so on. Even though I am a Bristol fan, I do think they also need to look at casting and cast only those in the entertainment and sports worlds and less "reality stars" and politicians. Yes they are known people, but they are not "stars" and they are at a disadvantage to those who entertain, compete etc and thusly America will get behind an "underdog" or they have no chance of winning (most normal seasons.) Then they are all to some extent a "ringer" in that they will have something in their job/background that will give them an advantage and the judges can be fair and America can vote their favorite without being slammed by the media or feal guilty that they are voting for someone who others don't like so much.
    "We were just going to do whatever it took to win."--Texas Longhorn Quarterback Colt McCoy

Quote Originally Posted by MFWalkoff;4112279;
    Who is going to "challenge" them? They've never revealed the true numbers and they never will. It's not like the show is going to end up answering questions in front of Congress someday. If somebody got so wrapped up in the show that they sued for the vote totals, I'd say they should check into the same place where they are holding the guy who shot his TV.

Also, I'm guessing that part of the reason the numbers don't change much when the other time zones kick in: about half the country's population is concentrated in the Eastern time zone. Most of the votes probably come in during those first couple of hours during/after the show airs in the East.
    That's the point I've been trying to make. If they screwed up the website where the East Coast & Central Time zone couldn't vote until after midnight, there will not be the votes for Kyle & Bristol as there has been in prior weeks. I finally was able to vote a little after midnight cst. Most people in the est & cst have already gone to bed and gave up on voting. That's what TPTB were counting on. This is rigged for for J/D, even though their scores might have been enough to carry them to the top, but we'll never know for sure and I contend that they will be illegitimate winners because of the stunt ABC has pulled.

Quote Originally Posted by n4692u;4112497;
    That's the point I've been trying to make. If they screwed up the website where the East Coast & Central Time zone couldn't vote until after midnight, there will not be the votes for Kyle & Bristol as there has been in prior weeks. I finally was able to vote a little after midnight cst. Most people in the est & cst have already gone to bed and gave up on voting. That's what TPTB were counting on. This is rigged for for J/D, even though their scores might have been enough to carry them to the top, but we'll never know for sure and I contend that they will be illegitimate winners because of the stunt ABC has pulled.
    I don't know if I'm not reading your post correctly or just don't understand the point you're making.
    Why do website issues with ABC mean the voting is being slanted in Jen's favour?
    If no one can vote Jen and Derek aren't getting voted either.
    If everyone got every vote that was intended for them we still have to take the result ABC gives us at face value because they don't publish results.

I've read elsewhere that a lot of people were unable to vote, regardless of who they were trying to vote for. I hate any whiff of a voting scandal because it can never be proved or disproved and people will use any smidgen of impropriety as the reason their favourite didn't win.
    "That's Numberwang!"

Quote Originally Posted by n4692u;4112497;
    DialIdol and online voting are different beasts. As MFWalkoff suggested, DI is that representative sample of the voting population, though it really doesn't say anything, cuz the Midwest and the West Coast combined could theoretically overthrow the East Coast's preference for a winner. Regarding this season's finale, however, I take it even less seriously than last season given the number of reported issues with call-in votes as well as online.

Just from Lacey and Jennifer:
    Lacey: Hey twitterbugs I've noticed that some of you are having trouble voting online, are y'all still having problems? about 11 hours ago via web

Jennifer: Sorry about trouble voting. Remember, you can vote online until 11am Eastern/8am Pacific. ABC.com - Dancing with the Stars - Vote Thanks for a great night! 2 minutes ago via TweetDeck

So there were problems had by many people trying to vote. The problem is that many East Coasters call-in voting period closed before they could get through which again skews DialIdol if it was set after East Coast viewing.

Online voting was a scene last night for whatever reason. At face value, it could be largely attributed to an enormous group of people trying to vote which overwhelmed the server and the site. In a season full of conspiracy theories, I'm not sure that many people aren't wondering if other "reasons" explain the difficulty, esp. in light of the heat DWTS took last week with Brandy's elimination. It was possibly the first time--correct me if I'm wrong, veteran viewers--that the producer had to directly speak about the voting system. Based on this detail and the intense scrutiny that the show is receiving from viewers, I could see the show adjusting things to protect itself. As we've said since last week, if Bristol wins, DWTS might as well pack up and go home. To prevent that, I don't think it's beyond them to help Jenn win, both by the online voting glitches and that tonight, the scoring will flagrantly separate her from the rest of the kids.

Quote Originally Posted by fluff;4112515;
    I don't know if I'm not reading your post correctly or just don't understand the point you're making.
    Why do website issues with ABC mean the voting is being slanted in Jen's favour?
    If no one can vote Jen and Derek aren't getting voted either.
    If everyone got every vote that was intended for them we still have to take the result ABC gives us at face value because they don't publish results.

I've read elsewhere that a lot of people were unable to vote, regardless of who they were trying to vote for. I hate any whiff of a voting scandal because it can never be proved or disproved and people will use any smidgen of impropriety as the reason their favourite didn't win.
    What I'm saying is, the way I understand it, Jenn was winning the call-in votes, but I think most of Kyle & Bristol's come from online. The website was messed up here cst until after midnight when most people here and on the east coast were asleep and didn't get to vote. They were just getting warmed up voting on the west cost, where I would think Jenn's base is. I'll never believe that Jenn got more viewer votes than Kyle and Bristol if it wasn't rigged. All I can say is the "ringer" wins again, and she was a ringer. Why even watch this show if you know who is going to win from the first episode.

+ Reply to Thread