+ Reply to Thread
Page 26 of 68 FirstFirst ... 161718192021222324252627282930313233343536 ... LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: DialIdol & Fan Poll Discussion for DWTS **POSSIBLE SPOILERS**

Re: DialIdol & Fan Poll Discussion for DWTS **POSSIBLE SPOILERS**

Quote Originally Posted by twinkletoes;3754114;
    Well said. On Monday, I'm going to vote for the person I think has the best chance of beating Mya. Someone with that much dancing and choreography experience should never have been cast as the "amateur".
    This competition has never been about fairness, if it was about fairness then none of the final 3 should take the trophy. The most improved amateur dancer was Johanna and going by those standards she should have taken the trophy home, but she didn't have the endearing story or entertainment skills therefore she didn't get the support. BTW, Donny doesn't have the resume Mya has, but he's hardly an amateur.

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle;3754123;
    This competition has never been about fairness, if it was about fairness then none of the final 3 should take the trophy. The most improved amateur dancer was Johanna and going by those standards she should have taken the trophy home, but she didn't have the endearing story or entertainment skills therefore she didn't get the support. BTW, Donny doesn't have the resume Mya has, but he's hardly an amateur.
    As a ballroom dancer myself, I would not call Donny a dance professional. Certainly he is a very successful entertainer who has added some movement elements to his stage show, but I'm hard pressed to call what he does in his show "dance." I've done musical theatre dance myself over the years and just don't see and significant overlap in the skill set require.

Quote Originally Posted by twinkletoes;3754114;
    Well said. On Monday, I'm going to vote for the person I think has the best chance of beating Mya. Someone with that much dancing and choreography experience should never have been cast as the "amateur".
    But is that the point of the show - ??
    Mya was apparently invited to be on the show - the show of having pros teach celebrities to dance. I don't understand the anger you feel. I could understand if you don't want to vote for Mya - but to vote for anyone else so that Mya won't win - when she didn't sneak onto the show - she was invited. She apparently does have experience - and she was cast as a celebrity contestant. I think your beef should be with the producers because you do have a good point - if in fact only amateurs (little or no professional dancing experience) are to be the contestants.

I agree. And if women did not have some kind of training whether it be dance or atheletics they would never win as season 2-5 is evidence of. And they even took Kelly Monaco's crown away in a dance-off season 1. People criticized Melissa last year for having ballet training. And you could say the athletes have an unfair advantage because they are fit and used to the training that this type of thing entails.

I for one do not want to watch a bunch of boring amateur dancers plod around the dance floor. Mya's biggest advantage is that she has amazing Core strength (probably as good as the pros) which allows her to do things others cannot.

Joanne had one of the best choreographers in Derek. You could say that gives her an advantage. This thing willl be won or lost based on the freestyle. Look at how Shawn beat Gilles last year. So anyone can win. But I bet Dmitry and Mya have a great routine planned and I will look forward to seeing it. She is probably bringing in the right demographic that the producers wanted.
    Last edited by MFWalkoff; 11-20-2009 at 07:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hatshepsut;3754248;
    I for one do not want to watch a bunch of boring amateur dancers plod around the dance floor. Mya's biggest advantage is that she has amazing Core strength (probably as good as the pros) which allows her to do things others cannot.
    Of course, it would make your position a complete mockery of ABC calling this a dance competition, were we to embrace the point of view expressed above. If one dancer is a professional and all the others save Donny have no experience on the boards, then there is no competition. Instead, we all twiddle our thumbs for a couple of months until the punchline of the joke is delivered. (I do not see Donny's stage experience as related to ballroom in a valuable way, having been on both sides myself.)

In the real world of ballroom dance, we put people into specific classes of experience and let them compete against their peers. The absence of that essential fairness -- even under the broad umbrella of "entertainment" -- is what sickens me about DWTS this season. He casting was a producer's gamble with injected a cancer into the show in a way I simply won't accept as a viewer.

As far as I'm concerned, this is now a competition between Kelly and Donny, neither whom I particularly like as people or dancers: but, both have worked hard and I respect their level of effort. Mya is simply dead to me, and as a result I will vote (either Donny or Kelly) for the first time in several seasons.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Vote #1 has Donny to win with nearly 10% over Mya, who they predict will come in second. Kelly is way behind for third. I know last year they had it way too close to call between Shawn and Gilles. Though I'd rather see Kelly take second over Mya, as long as she doesn't win, it'll be a good night.

Of course there's still a very good chance she will I don't think I've ever not wanted someone to win so much before on this show.

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by karalott;3756567;
    Vote #1 has Donny to win with nearly 10% over Mya, who they predict will come in second. Kelly is way behind for third. I know last year they had it way too close to call between Shawn and Gilles. Though I'd rather see Kelly take second over Mya, as long as she doesn't win, it'll be a good night.

Of course there's still a very good chance she will I don't think I've ever not wanted someone to win so much before on this show.
    I am with you, I don't want Mya to win either. She could already dance before she signed on to do the show so it seemed like an unfair advantage. I appreciate Kelly's effort to learn and am amazed at how well she did. Donny just brings a smile to my face and I love Kym anyways so I would love to see her finally win. I think the freestyle dance that Dmitry choreographed may have cost them the title (I hope so at least). Go Donny!!! If not him, then somehow Kelly! If you are going to have Mya on the show, then bring on others who are at her level like fellow singers. Then I wouldn't have a problem with it. To bring her on to compete against someone like Tom Delay? Not fair, in my opinion at least.

Quote Originally Posted by karalott;3756567;
    I have: My “I don’t want this person to win” list = Marie Osmond, Marissa Jaret Winokur, Melissa Rycroft (wheee! They all lost ) and next would be Donny Osmond . But, we shall see.

Quote Originally Posted by Cerese;3754238;
    But is that the point of the show - ??
    Mya was apparently invited to be on the show - the show of having pros teach celebrities to dance. I don't understand the anger you feel. I could understand if you don't want to vote for Mya - but to vote for anyone else so that Mya won't win - when she didn't sneak onto the show - she was invited. She apparently does have experience - and she was cast as a celebrity contestant. I think your beef should be with the producers because you do have a good point - if in fact only amateurs (little or no professional dancing experience) are to be the contestants.
    My beef is with the producers. But since I can't vote to keep them or get rid of them, I'm going to vote for anyone but Mya. She is a technically wonderful dancer, but I feel her dancing lacks emotion. I want to see the kind of emotion Kelly and Donny both showed last night.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Quote Originally Posted by tango7;3756680;
    I have: My “I don’t want this person to win” list = Marissa Jaret Winokur, Melissa Rycroft (wheee! They both lost.) and next would be Donny Osmond . But, we shall see.
    Well, when you bring up those two, it's hard to argue Since Marissa was in the season with the untouchable Kristi Yamaguchi, I felt confident that, at worse, she'd get 2nd. I can't imagine how much of a doozy of a freestyle Tony would have ruined. Melissa on the other hand gave me reason to worry.

At least Marissa and Melissa liked Tony. Mya seems to treat Dmitry like the dirt on her shoes.

I'll be content if Kelly wins, but am really hoping for Kym (and Donny). Just anybody but Mya at this point.

+ Reply to Thread