+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 68 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021222363 ... LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: DialIdol & Fan Poll Discussion for DWTS **POSSIBLE SPOILERS**

Re: DialIdol & Fan Poll Discussion for DWTS **POSSIBLE SPOILERS**

Quote Originally Posted by Bloomers;3448489;
    The rules state that you can't copy and paste a post from another site, and that is too bad because on the mother board there is a post from a former ABC/Disney employee. On a thread from a week ago where somebody threw out a thread called, "They already know who the winner is", this poster answered with a long post that explained how the producers go about attempting to shape the winner they want. Some of it we have already discussed on this board, and some of it was a bit of an eye-opener.

There were several things, most which point to Gilles, but some which point to Melissa. One of the things that she pointed out is that the producers will promote a contestant that promotes ABC; thus, for the first few segments, we heard Melissa connected with the Bachelor ( ABC show with upcoming offshoot, The Bachelorette).
    Now, we have Gilles with his connection to Brothers and Sisters, an ABC show - so according to what this poster said last week before the news came out about Gilles' new job, it points to Gilles as the new ABC promoter.

Just for fun, one of the other things she said that they do to promote a contestant/s is show a bad rehearsal ( the contestant is having so much difficulty, "I can't do this", "So and so is a slow learner/has a hard time remembering the steps and routine" which we hear from Cheryl and Gilles all the time) only to go out and do an excellent dance which leaves the immediate impression that they suddenly overcame all obstacles!

There really is considerable producer manipulation going on.
    Fascinating post, Bloomers. Thank you. I wasn't watching then, but remember some bru-ha-ha at the first season's finale, saying Kelly won over John because she was ABC. I don't remember anything else about it, though.
    Every time MF grins, somewhere in the world a unicorn dies.
    I don't think we're in Kansas anymore, Toto.

Using Bloomers points as a key to who the ringer as far as ABC promotion that would be Mel again. DWTS has promoted Mels the bachelor stint constantly, while they have never mentioned Gilles new role in Brothers and Sisters. That was Gilles himself. Not one word was mentioned on the show.

FORT Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Bloomers;3448489;

There really is considerable producer manipulation going on.
    Thanks for pointing me to the thread on the mother board. Its interesting but I'm not sure that it changes my mind. I agree that there is a certain amount voter influencing going on. However, as the poster there pointed out, its all about ratings. There manipulation (to use your words) is only to ensure there is compelling TV that continues throughout the entire run to attract the maximum number of viewers. However, after the first two shows, I think any one of us could predict that Gilles and Melissa would be in the final. They were far and away the best dancers. I don't think they needed to manipulate viewers to vote for them.

The fact that that there was more than one good dancer off the bat has to be TPTB's dream ... its an instant storyline and rivalry. Quite frankly, what TPTB want is no different from the viewers ... we want the compelling storyline and drama ... it makes for better TV. And thats why voters vote the way they do.

In my original post, I stated there is no compelling reason to manipulate the results of the finale. Afterall, there is no ratings bonanza for TPTB after the winner is chosen. The same applies for cross-promotion of other series. Just making it into the finale gives the stars the maximum exposure. Who wins is anti-climatic and irrelevant for ratings.

Quote Originally Posted by I'msotired;3448599;
    Fascinating post, Bloomers. Thank you. I wasn't watching then, but remember some bru-ha-ha at the first season's finale, saying Kelly won over John because she was ABC. I don't remember anything else about it, though.
    And where did Melissa come from? ABC Bachelor. How was she promoted on the DWTS, the dumpee on ABC the Bachelor. How is she announced as a "star" ABC Bachelor. When has ABC ever said anything promoting Gilles on a ABC show. Gilles is the person who brought this to light.

FORT Fogey

Gilles being on an ABC show after this one could want ABC to favor him for the DWTS win and use his win to publicize and boost B&S next season. It wouldn't be unlike ABC to do that. Gilles could get the win even without the votes if ABC decides to go this route and they could.

They bought Mel in at the beginning and used her to promote TB and will continue to do so next week but they really don't need her to win. As she's in F3 they get the ratings and fans she's brought to the show right until the last minute because F3 gets coverage until final results show. If she has the votes to win that doesn't mean she gets the trophy. Just as easily as they can annoint a winner they can just as easily take it away. Mel B and Maks had highest judge's scores and were ahead in polls and Helio still won.

ABC could also let the chips fall where they may. Usually the judging is thisclose in finale to leave it up to the fans. That's what they should do but I don't believe that's what has always happened in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by sueb1961;3448649;
    Using Bloomers points as a key to who the ringer as far as ABC promotion that would be Mel again. DWTS has promoted Mels the bachelor stint constantly, while they have never mentioned Gilles new role in Brothers and Sisters. That was Gilles himself. Not one word was mentioned on the show.
    I believe this is something that has transpired as of late for Gilles, probably due to his exposure and positive reception on DWTS, so of course it hasn't been brought up yet. Let's see whether it gets mentioned next week after he (cough) wins the disco ball.

Quote Originally Posted by anders332;3448518;
    I didn't mean to imply she was lying. Quite the contrary, I really am interested in seeing if offers will come from this and if she really wants to accept any of them. I don't think we have to worry about her showing up on According to Jim.

During her Interview segment monday night she gushed about Dallas, I think it would take Mohammad to get her to leave. Maybe I'm naive, but that's the feeling I got from that.

If she is offered something and accepts I say great for her - she's allowed to do anything she wants with her life.

Thanks anders....that is what a lot of us feel too. I wish everyone could realize that changing one's mind does not make them a liar, nor does changing one's career make them a liar. Maybe they just want to take advantage of a great opportunity if it should come their way.
    Happiness isn't just an emotion, it is a state of mind.

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by sueb1961;3448649;
    They still might. Didn't it just hit the press today? I see them more using it next season when they start promoting the new episodes of B&S.

Quote Originally Posted by anders332;3448529;
    And Elisabeth Hasselbeck, Deanna Pappas, Will Kirby, I could go on......It's not outside the realm of possibility she could capitalize on this - if she so chooses, and if Hollyweird wants her.
    I don't consider Melissa a failure at all; I just do not see a future in entertainment.

The one thing I believe Hasselbeck and Pappas have that Melissa lacks is they are highly competitive and driven. The two may be annoying, but that is their IT --- they have IT.

I also see this quality in Shawn and Gilles --- the two come off as focused and really want to win as if they could taste it. I honestly do not see that quality in Melissa.

Perhaps also why the concept of Melissa in DWTS doesn't seem a good fit, in that Melissa doesn't have that motivation about her --- what really makes someone a star.

For example, it has been evident throughout that while other contestants seem to welcome and seriously take in the judges' criticism, it looks as if Melissa is near ready to burst into tears. Although I could be completely off base, this is precisely why I expect to see Melissa finishing DWTS in third place.
    Last edited by ryansmommy; 05-13-2009 at 06:25 PM.

Here is something to ponder.

Two of Chris Harrison's tweets from yesterday ...

... On a serious note, the wife and I will be in the audience tonight supporting Mel and Gilles and promoting Bachelorette!

... congrats to Mel and Gilles, very proud of them. We had a blast celebrating back stage together last night. Happy for them and Shawn

IMO, he had to show support for Melissa ... that is a given ... but to Gilles?

+ Reply to Thread