+ Reply to Thread
Page 64 of 115 FirstFirst ... 14545556575859606162636465666768697071727374114 ... LastLast

Thread: Gilles Marini & Cheryl Burke - Season 8

FORT Regular

Re: Gilles Marini & Cheryl Burke - Season 8

I think the final three will be Giles, Kim and Melissa, in that order.

Fourth will be Shawn.

I really wish they'd just eliminate the others now and let the final four fight it out.

Quote Originally Posted by birddog09;3417126;
    I think the final three will be Giles, Kim and Melissa, in that order.

Fourth will be Shawn.

I really wish they'd just eliminate the others now and let the final four fight it out.
    Meh, I have to think that Shawn will be in the final three, regardless of 'worthiness'. She just has that huge fan base, who basically don't care how well she dances, and will vote for her, no matter what the performances dictate.

Myself, althought it's a bit early to tell, up to this point, I do think that Gilles, Melissa and Kim belong in F3. But I can't overlook the size of the general voting audience who will be punching the Shawn ticket all the way.
    Papi on being tested for steroids: "All they are going to find is a lot of rice and beans."
    I cater to the Regs!

Quote Originally Posted by MissThing;3417144;
    Meh, I have to think that Shawn will be in the final three, regardless of 'worthiness'. She just has that huge fan base, who basically don't care how well she dances, and will vote for her, no matter what the performances dictate.

Myself, althought it's a bit early to tell, up to this point, I do think that Gilles, Melissa and Kim belong in F3. But I can't overlook the size of the general voting audience who will be punching the Shawn ticket all the way.
    I have to agree that Shawn may be hard to beat, given the fan base. After Kims big performance and huge scores last week, I wonder if her fan base will grow as well. I think Gilles and Melissa fan support may be less of a sure thing.

signed, sealed, delivered maude~flanders's Avatar

Gilles can end up getting worse as time goes on because of his injury. I wouldn't put him in the finals yet, there are a few weeks for him to get through with a hurt shoulder.

FORT Fanatic
    Quote Originally Posted by maude~flanders;3417173;
    Gilles can end up getting worse as time goes on because of his injury. I wouldn't put him in the finals yet, there are a few weeks for him to get through with a hurt shoulder.
    Yes. That is the 500lb gorilla in the room.
    Last edited by Marleybone; 04-17-2009 at 05:44 PM.

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by anders332;3416832;
    I definitely see Gilles being in the finale, but (like you) figure it will be with Kim and not Melissa. Unless Melissa is able to start showing more emotion during the dances, she's not going to improve. Technically, she's been spot on (for the most part). She's proven she can dance, but she's far from the whole package that Kim and Gilles have shown.
    I've been luke warm to Melissa because I think there's a lot of stuff she has yet to unlearn. I don't think they will give her a hall pass for doing ballet everytime she goes out there now. Tony hasn't really challenged her to lose the ballet. Until there's a real effort to remove balletic components she will stagnate.

Kim is upping the party quotient, but her dancing has yet to be really strong. She's been getting away with slim choreography, that's been a criticism of Len for the Samba, the VWaltz and now the Jive. The Quickstep was criticized for the lack of dance position and the Tango for lack of connection. What I'm seeing in Kim is either one thing or the other. It's either she loses footwork and just goes for entertainment, or when they concentrate on footwork she loses emotional connection. She hasn't put it together.

It's now going into week 7 so if Shawn learns to remove the mantle of shyness then she may have an opportunity to make it through. Right now the connection with Mark is flat.

And yes, I'm a fangirl of Gilles, but he is the entire package. He is not afraid to show emotion and get the steps down.

sdl

Quote Originally Posted by ducky2;3417169;
    I have to agree that Shawn may be hard to beat, given the fan base. After Kims big performance and huge scores last week, I wonder if her fan base will grow as well. I think Gilles and Melissa fan support may be less of a sure thing.
    All season long, Lil Kim's fan support as reflected in the Internet polls has been way behind the other 3 frontrunners. I got swept up in the Lil Kim mania on this board recently, and started projecting her in the top 2.
    So I took a field trip back to reality this morning and checked out the half dozen or so best sites that gauge fan support.
    The polls are often inconsistent in how they rank one vs. another, but some things for sure:
    1. Gilles is certainly in the top 2. He may not have had a base coming into this show, but he does now. I appreciate the comments about his shoulder, but his is not an injury like Cristian's that will cause his elimination.
    2. Shawn is very popular. She doesn't get the respect of the judges, or a lot of people in this board, but her numbers are huge. Right now, I'd have to say she is at least top 3.
    3. Melissa very consistently rates near the top, but I have noticed a slight erosion of her support this past week. Overall, she is still top 3.
    4. Lil Kim's numbers are better now than they were early in the season, when she consistently ranked near the bottom, but they still aren't as good as the top 3. Really, not even close. Her numbers are more like Ty's.
    What causes me some uncertainty is that DWTS, unlike Idol, bases their elimination 50% on the judges' scores. The effect of that is that a 1 point difference in the judges' total can wipe out millions of fan votes.
    The judges are very high on Kim right now, and if they keep it up, they could propel her past Shawn and Melissa. If they are scored equally, however, every indication is that Lil Kim will be the first of this group to go home.
    Last edited by MissThing; 04-18-2009 at 03:04 PM.

FORT Fogey

Gilles says they have Lindy Hop next week: LINK

Gilles performance last night wasn't one of his best. He had a tough time letting go of the rigid moves of the Latin dances. Even Cheryl admits they were overscored because of his mis-steps at the beginning.

I am a Gilles fan and I love to watch him on the dance floor and have fun the rehearsal shots -- (love the victorian swimming trunks). He is totally charming and entertaining, you gotta love him! I think he will have fun with the Lindy Hop, but I am worried about his shoulder injury. He looked like he managed well last night, so I hope Cheryl will come up with a great routine and navigate around the shoulder issue next week.

sdl

Quote Originally Posted by MiniDiva;3419799;
    Gilles performance last night wasn't one of his best. He had a tough time letting go of the rigid moves of the Latin dances. Even Cheryl admits they were overscored because of his mis-steps at the beginning.

I am a Gilles fan and I love to watch him on the dance floor and have fun the rehearsal shots -- (love the victorian swimming trunks). He is totally charming and entertaining, you gotta love him! I think he will have fun with the Lindy Hop, but I am worried about his shoulder injury. He looked like he managed well last night, so I hope Cheryl will come up with a great routine and navigate around the shoulder issue next week.
    I'm worried about Gilles as well.
    Ok, this is something that I don't often tell people, but I was a high school cheerleader, which mostly consisted of throwing cute girls around. I was also a state champion rodeo cowboy, which blessed me with a bad shoulder that is still a problem today. Weird mix, right?
    Anyway, the shoulder was always a problem with the overhead lifts. Luckily, I outweighed by partner by 2 to 1.
    Gilles is cut, but he has a narrow, slender build. Cheryl is thick and curvy, dense on her frame.
    I would guess Gilles' weight at 165. Cheryl is about 120. That's a pretty good load for someone his size who isn't used to doing lifts, and the shoulder makes it a real problem.
    The good news is that Cheryl is a pro. By kicking off with her legs, she can make the actual lift a whole lot easier - not like lifting dead weight - but he will still have to hold her in position.
    I wouldn't be surprised to see a re-injury in practice this week.

+ Reply to Thread