+ Reply to Thread
Page 52 of 115 FirstFirst ... 2424344454647484950515253545556575859606162102 ... LastLast

Thread: Gilles Marini & Cheryl Burke - Season 8

Re: Gilles Marini & Cheryl Burke - Season 8

I actually thought Gilles did very well and was scored about right (I would have put him equal to Melissa, although it is hard to compare as these two dance styles were so different). I liked that the choreography allowed him to do some solos where he just got to show off his own dancing ability, but overall I didn't care for it. But that is Cheryl's responsibility, not his. I believe Len said that he didn't do enough traditional jive moves (kicks and flicks), which are very difficult, but it looks like he could do them, so I wonder why Cheryl didn't put more of that in the routine.

Quote Originally Posted by ironcat;3412994;
    I believe Len said that he didn't do enough traditional jive moves (kicks and flicks), which are very difficult, but it looks like he could do them, so I wonder why Cheryl didn't put more of that in the routine.
    That is what it was about Gilles from last night. I remember when I was sitting there watching him at one point and he was facing the direction of the camera, that he wasn't really "kicking or flicking" his feet out very far. They didn't appear to be coming up very far off the floor for what I thought it should in a Jive. Len hit the nail on the head with that one. I'm impressed that I saw it for myself first! LOL
    I'm only here for the entertainment.

Quote Originally Posted by ironcat;3412994;
    I actually thought Gilles did very well and was scored about right (I would have put him equal to Melissa, although it is hard to compare as these two dance styles were so different). I liked that the choreography allowed him to do some solos where he just got to show off his own dancing ability, but overall I didn't care for it. But that is Cheryl's responsibility, not his. I believe Len said that he didn't do enough traditional jive moves (kicks and flicks), which are very difficult, but it looks like he could do them, so I wonder why Cheryl didn't put more of that in the routine.
    One would expect him to handle it normally but could have caused further damage to his shoulder. I think Cheryl choreographed the high jump, solo and more difficult footwork instead of flips due to his shoulder injury which also affected his arm position.

Quote Originally Posted by justsaying;3413007;
    One would expect him to handle it normally but could have caused further damage to his shoulder. I think Cheryl choreographed the high jump, solo and more difficult footwork instead of flips due to his shoulder injury which also affected his arm position.
    I certainly wouldn't want him to injure himself further, but I don't think kicks and flicks, which you do with your feet, would put undo stress on his shoulder. I'm not a dancer so I could be wrong.

FORT Fogey

It was a vg dance but he did have a few issues. The song was too frantic and Cheryl does need to dial that down some because this is the second week it was mentioned. And while his costume was sexy I would have put him in a shirt more fitting the genre. I think it would have helped to create more of a jive feeling.

it just never felt like a jive to me. it was more like an acid trip paso or something. i don't know. it was still good and interesting to watch, but if i'd been pressed to name the dance without knowing, i would have never guessed jive. but, i only watched it live and didn't watch it again. i had to move to that when i started becoming over-analytical. the judges see it once and live and so do i.

I just don't understand some of the music choices. For me, that sometimes affects how I judge a dance. Last night, the music was more distracting then complimentary and caused some of the feelings of it being too hectic for me.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by sdl;3412952;
    It's funny, I thought the same thing last night when I watched him do this incredibly difficult dance like a professional.
    The big question with Gilles was whether he could do the fast "fun" dances. If anyone else had turned in that performance, the judges would have been screaming and giving high fives.
    The remaining "x factor" is whether the huge Bachelor vote will tilt it to Melissa.
    Actually your are right. Melissa is doing quasi ballet. The issue for weeks was whether Gilles could produce the hectic dance without the dark romance bit. And, he could, and did produce it. He proved he could jingle and move to whatever the flow was. Yes, he can do all dances, but so can Lil'Kim. Melissa and Shawn lack in some areas. Lil'im and Gilles have been able to do every dance passably.

Quote Originally Posted by ladytex;3413100;
    I just don't understand some of the music choices. For me, that sometimes affects how I judge a dance. Last night, the music was more distracting then complimentary and caused some of the feelings of it being too hectic for me.
    I didn't care for the music either and apparently neither did Cheryl. In an interviews with Maks, she said that they didn't get their choice and that the song was slowed down but it was still faster than she'd have liked. It is hard not to be influenced by the music. I try not to give more credit than is due for dances performed to songs I do like and I figure that if I enjoy the dancing when I don't care for the music, they should rate even higher.

signed, sealed, delivered maude~flanders's Avatar

I don't like how Cheryl is choreographing this season. It almost seems like she is so desperate for another win that she puts every move she can cram into each dance in there. It comes off as frantic and rushed. I didn't care for them last night and I think it was Cheryl's fault, not Gilles.

+ Reply to Thread