+ Reply to Thread
Page 49 of 115 FirstFirst ... 39404142434445464748495051525354555657585999 ... LastLast

Thread: Gilles Marini & Cheryl Burke - Season 8

In my own little corner, in my own little chair...

Re: Gilles Marini & Cheryl Burke - Season 8

Quote Originally Posted by costcoholic;3410287;
    Repulsive? Dang! Tall, lean and toned? If that's repulsive what's a "good body?" Jack Black? Michael Moore? Rush Limbaugh?
    Give me the Gilles type of repulsive any day!
    My hero - My Dad 3/25/34 - 4/1/09

The way I see it Gilles has been putting himself into the proper character for the dances he's been given, probably as well as anybody we've seen on DWTS ever. I doubt that he's going to go overboard on the sexy for the dances that don't require it, as a matter of fact, they made a point to tone down the sexy and bring on the sophistication for the Quickstep.
    Last edited by The Mod Team; 04-11-2009 at 07:32 PM.

it's been a wild ride! Parkhillian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ironcat;3410635;
    The only time I felt it was over the top was this past week, when a big production was made that I think of as "Gilles and his bare chest". It started with him coming down the steps in a shirt, then shown wrapped in a cape with nothing underneath, and then the bit with Cheryl dressing him after his shirtless dance. I felt pandered to by that point, and would have preferred if he had just come out from the start in the bolero jacket over skin. The way they tried to focus everyone's attention on his chest (which was probably unnecessary, as many focused on his chest on their own, I'm sure) for me took away from the dignity and regal nature of the dance and sent it into cheesy territory.
    My thoughts exactly. I actually rolled my eyes at that as I thought it was overdone.

Gilles is a great dancer. Cheryl is an excellent choreographer and she knows "what sells" and uses that to their advantage.

The only time I felt it was over the top was this past week, when a big production was made that I think of as "Gilles and his bare chest". It started with him coming down the steps in a shirt, then shown wrapped in a cape with nothing underneath, and then the bit with Cheryl dressing him after his shirtless dance. I felt pandered to by that point, and would have preferred if he had just come out from the start in the bolero jacket over skin. The way they tried to focus everyone's attention on his chest (which was probably unnecessary, as many focused on his chest on their own, I'm sure) for me took away from the dignity and regal nature of the dance and sent it into cheesy territory.
    Shouldn't everyone's issue be with the choreographer, then? I didn't find it any cheesier than any of the other silly costuming moves over the past seasons, or the assorted bare male chests, or the female cleavage. And while I think he exudes a tremendous amount of sensuality when he dances the dances that are supposed to be sensual, I don't lust for him. He is attractive, but not my type.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;3410659;
    Shouldn't everyone's issue be with the choreographer, then? I didn't find it any cheesier than any of the other silly costuming moves over the past seasons, or the assorted bare male chests, or the female cleavage. And while I think he exudes a tremendous amount of sensuality when he dances the dances that are supposed to be sensual, I don't lust for him. He is attractive, but not my type.
    I agree, I fault Cheryl for this way more than Gilles. In fact, I'd bet that Gilles felt embarrassed about doing the whole shtick, but since Cheryl is the boss, he went along with it.

Let me say again that my problem wasn't that he danced a bit bare-chested, it was the whole production that was made out of the fact that he was doing it. And I certainly wasn't appalled, I'm a New Yorker and it takes way more to appall me.

Premium Member

IMO,Gilles is the best dancer period. Plus he also exudes confidence as well a humbleness which is sexy as well. Can't wait to see his jive, but he won't be bare chested though.

I just saw it as part of the bullfighting ritual which is, after all, what this dance is about.

Obviously, I think Gilles is the best dancer there. I had no problem with the "dressing" by Cheryl. In ancient times, the dressing of a warrior was quite a ceremony, slow and deliberate. I looked at it as part of the whole dance, and I think it added a lot to the dance itself. Sure, we all were "wow, Gilles is shirtless"! But if we can get past that, he was acting out the scenario of preparing for battle or a bullfight.

FORT Fogey

Dances will flip after this week and as he's done a lot of the sexy ones back-to-back he will have to do Waltz, Salsa, FT, LH,VW and Rumba still left to do. LT is also on Gilles's rotation so he will have to do the same. Shawn, O and Chuck are also on the same rotation and they have Cha Cha, QS, AT, Samba, PD, and Jive left to do. Mel, Lil Kim and Ty are all in different rotations but they have their work cut out for them tool. It all evens out by the time season ends as it should.

Quote Originally Posted by Beachmom;3410709;
    Obviously, I think Gilles is the best dancer there. I had no problem with the "dressing" by Cheryl. In ancient times, the dressing of a warrior was quite a ceremony, slow and deliberate. I looked at it as part of the whole dance, and I think it added a lot to the dance itself. Sure, we all were "wow, Gilles is shirtless"! But if we can get past that, he was acting out the scenario of preparing for battle or a bullfight.
    I understand that dressing the bullfighter was the image they were going for, but I would venture to guess that most matadors also wear some sort of shirt under their jackets. So for me, the lack of shirt in that circumstance came off slightly cheesy, like when hunky waiters in clubs wear bowties with no shirts. Fun to ogle, but cheesy nonetheless. JMO, and still thought his dancing was very good.

+ Reply to Thread