+ Reply to Thread
Page 48 of 115 FirstFirst ... 38394041424344454647484950515253545556575898 ... LastLast

Thread: Gilles Marini & Cheryl Burke - Season 8

Re: Gilles Marini & Cheryl Burke - Season 8

Quote Originally Posted by sdl;3410469;
    Are we really attacking Gilles, the person on DWTS, because of a character he played in a movie? He is an actor, right?
    That makes as much sense as suggesting that Sean Penn is gay because he played Harvey Milk in the movie.
    I hope you don't think I was attacking Gilles; I was trying to defend him (I am an equal opportunity defender). I guess not liking someone because they chose to appear naked in a movie is as good a reason as not liking somebody because they have a cheesy smile. I personally have no problem with either.

FORT Fan

Are we really attacking Gilles, the person on DWTS, because of a character he played in a movie? He is an actor, right?
    That makes as much sense as suggesting that Sean Penn is gay because he played Harvey Milk in the movie.
    Sean Penn is a two time Acadamy Award winning actor. Gilles is an unknown actor who did a nude scene in a popular movie to try to get his foot in the door. He is using DWTS to try to open another door. That is not a bad thing, it just isn't working for me. I don't like the guy and probably never will, but I do wish him success in his career.

Quote Originally Posted by LRBCPAPC;3410480;
    No one is attaching Gilles, only pointing out the one-dimentional nature of the roles he plays - the ultra-sexy extra whose character is credited as "the naked guy on SITC" or "the French waiter".
    Perhaps that's all he's been offered (up til now). It doesn't mean there isn't more dimention available within his skill set, though. The guy is earning a living acting in films, and probably (again, up til now) hasn't had a huge assortment of roles from which to pick and choose. After his stint on DWTS is done, my thinking is that is likely to change.
    Papi on being tested for steroids: "All they are going to find is a lot of rice and beans."
    I cater to the Regs!

My gosh he got naked in a movie Wow, who cares! If you don't like it don't watch the movie, its that simple.Also I don't like how people associate him with just being sexy. He had one role in one movie, that doesn't mean he can only do sexy roles. I hate how people sometimes associate people with one thing they've done. That's like just associating Melissa with the Bach, which many have argued not to do.

I don't know, its just getting to me and getting old. And maybe it was the only role he could take he was trying to get some money for his family and also trying to jumpstart his career and sometimes your first roles in Hollywood aren't always the ones you want most but they get you out there, and that's exactly what his SATC role did cause look @ him now.
    Keep your feet on the ground, when your heads in the clouds!

Premium Member

Exactly. Nudity in a movie is not exactly scandalous behavior on the part of an ACTOR in this day and age, and it has nothing whatsoever to do with DWTS, so it would really be nice if we could let this go and get back to discussing the dancing!

sdl

Quote Originally Posted by ironcat;3410474;
    I hope you don't think I was attacking Gilles; I was trying to defend him (I am an equal opportunity defender). I guess not liking someone because they chose to appear naked in a movie is as good a reason as not liking somebody because they have a cheesy smile. I personally have no problem with either.
    Nah, I didn't think you were attacking him. I only quoted you because you have good posts that make me think.
    I do see a difference in criticizing the depth of the person (eternal grinning), and criticizing the kind of person an actor portrayed in a movie - but what the heck, it's minor point.
    People are going to like or dislike whoever for whatever reasons, and they generally back into their reasons to justify it anyhow. It would be pretty dull around here if everyone thought alike.

Aside from the fact that he was nude in a movie, his dancing is good. Most Latin dances are sensual. Period. And since he's got it, he might as well flaunt it and take advantage of the fact that he can move. It's more entertaining in a dance than someone who moves across the floor like a stiff robot.
    Last edited by The Mod Team; 04-11-2009 at 06:37 PM.
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Secret;3410473;
    Just saw a post on another message board that has a blog written by Cheryl. Since I don't think I can post a link, I'll paraphrase.

They've been NYC this week, through tomorrow morning so Giles can play in a charity soccer tournament tonight. They're practicing more hours this week than normal, and the jive has been a challenge because it is fast and complicated.

From reading comments, apparently they normally only practice 4 hours a day? Wow, she must be a fantastic teacher! I may not be Giles biggest fan, but he's obviously danced very well, so far. Monday's show should be really good.

Thank you for sharing what was in Cheryl's blog. Wow, that's surprising they normally only practice 4 hours a day. I agree, she must be a really good teacher, and Gilles must pick the moves up quickly.

The thing is he's not just getting by on his sexuality. He's dancing circles around most of the other teams. Technically, he's been pretty close to perfect the past couple weeks. Even one of the judges said it was hard to distinguish which of the pair was the professional after one performance. The high scores accurately reflect his dance abilities.
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

The only time I felt it was over the top was this past week, when a big production was made that I think of as "Gilles and his bare chest". It started with him coming down the steps in a shirt, then shown wrapped in a cape with nothing underneath, and then the bit with Cheryl dressing him after his shirtless dance. I felt pandered to by that point, and would have preferred if he had just come out from the start in the bolero jacket over skin. The way they tried to focus everyone's attention on his chest (which was probably unnecessary, as many focused on his chest on their own, I'm sure) for me took away from the dignity and regal nature of the dance and sent it into cheesy territory.
    Last edited by The Mod Team; 04-11-2009 at 06:31 PM.

+ Reply to Thread