+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 115 FirstFirst 123456789101112131454104 ... LastLast

Thread: Gilles Marini & Cheryl Burke - Season 8

Re: Melissa Rycroft & Tony Dovolani - Season 8

Quote Originally Posted by sdl;3382941;
    PE, thank you for the thoughtful responses. I'm sure Melissa will do very well.
    I wonder what you thought of Shawn who, when judged solely as a person, is probably my favorite. My concern is that her height (4'10"?), particularly when paired with Mark, puts her at a disadvantage. What do you think?
    Also, what did you think about Giles?
    I'm trying to get a fair comparison of these three. Many thanks.
    Broadway and I had a good discussion in another thread about Gilles. I agree with her that he is a very natural dancer, clearly the best of the men and appropriately scored by the judges. His injury puts him at a disadvantage, however.

I wish you had not asked about Shawn because I suspect many will dislike my view. Her height is a challenge, but Mark works better with her than any other current male dancer would. Now for the unkind stuff, intended in the nicest possible way: First, I just don't care for her body proportion, which while apparently great for a gymnast, doesn't appear right to me as a dancer. Then there is the issue of clothing which contributes. She just seems to young for the way the costume designers have been working to create and edge on the dance floor. Finally, there is the question of her emotional maturity for ballroom.

While dance is certainly about beauty and grace on the dance floor, the underlying connection between any two dancers is a certain sensuality. This is as much true in the waltz as it is in the Latin dances. I once heard a noted world class dancer respond to the question, "What is dance to you?" He said one word: "Foreplay." A great dance couple is one that makes you hold your breath and forget to exhale or wish you could have a cigarette when they finished dancing. I just don't think Shawn is anywhere near ready for that kind of emotional commitment to the dance, and, frankly, I don't want to see it from her-- for her own good. I'm sure she is an absolutely delightful person, but I don't think it was appropriate to cast her.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Peacheater;3383075;
    Broadway and I had a good discussion in another thread about Gilles. I agree with her that he is a very natural dancer, clearly the best of the men and appropriately scored by the judges. His injury puts him at a disadvantage, however. I wish you had not asked about Shawn because I suspect many will dislike my view. Her height is a challenge, but Mark works better with her than any other current male dancer would. Now for the unkind stuff, intended in the nicest possible way: First, I just don't care for her body proportion, which while apparently great for a gymnast, doesn't appear right to me as a dancer. Then there is the issue of clothing which contributes. She just seems to young for the way the costume designers have been working to create and edge on the dance floor. Finally, there is the question of her emotional maturity for ballroom.

While dance is certainly about beauty and grace on the dance floor, the underlying connection between any two dancers is a certain sensuality. This is as much true in the waltz as it is in the Latin dances. I once heard a noted world class dancer respond to the question, "What is dance to you?" He said one word: "Foreplay." A great dance couple is one that makes you hold your breath and forget to exhale or wish you could have a cigarette when they finished dancing. I just don't think Shawn is anywhere near ready for that kind of emotional commitment to the dance, and, frankly, I don't want to see it from her-- for her own good. I'm sure she is an absolutely delightful person, but I don't think it was appropriate to cast her.
    On another board I ask if anyone seriously knew the ramifications, if any, of his particularly injury - separated shoulder - as related to the required moves of future dances. For example, are there lifts or something of that nature that might be impeded by his injury? No one seemed to know. Can you shed some possible light?
    Dear paranoid people who check behind their shower curtains for murderers, if you do find one, what's your plan?

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar

Re: Gilles Marini & Cheryl Burke - Season 8

Reminds me of Helio, only better looking. I suspect he'll go far.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloomers;3383079;
    On another board I ask if anyone seriously knew the ramifications, if any, of his particularly injury - separated shoulder - as related to the required moves of future dances. For example, are there lifts or something of that nature that might be impeded by his injury? No one seemed to know. Can you shed some possible light?
    I've never heard of it happening to a dancer in training. I'm sure it has, but I've just never encountered it. I know of one dancer who slipped on the ice in Chicago and separated his shoulder (Type 2 separation). He was unable to do lifts or any strenuous movement with his right shoulder for about one month. He tried, but found it difficult to keep his body moving at tempo in the Paso and Rhumba. The Jive would have been completely out of the question for him. As a result, he had to drop out of a regional competition which he was expected to win easily.

Here is what Web MD says:
    Once the acute symptoms are gone, your doctor will probably want you to start rehabilitation. This will make your shoulder muscles stronger and more limber. It will both help you recover and reduce the chances of future shoulder injuries.

You might start with gentle stretching exercises that become more intense as you get better. But don't start exercising without talking to your doctor first.

Whatever you do, don't rush things. Ease back into your sport. If you play baseball, start by tossing the ball and work up to throwing at full speed. People who play contact sports need to be especially careful that they are fully healed before playing again.

Don't try to return to your previous level of physical activity until:

* You can move your injured shoulder as freely as your uninjured shoulder.
    * Your injured shoulder feels as strong as your uninjured shoulder.

If you start using your shoulder before it's healed, you could cause permanent damage. Getting back in the game early is not worth the risk of a lifelong disability
    . (Fair Use, DMCA educational exception)
    Since Gilles will get paid his full contract fee, if I were him, I'd not risk long-term injury that could limit some action film roles for which he could otherwise be cast.

Quote Originally Posted by Peacheater;3383075;
    Broadway and I had a good discussion in another thread about Gilles. I agree with her that he is a very natural dancer, clearly the best of the men and appropriately scored by the judges. His injury puts him at a disadvantage, however.

I wish you had not asked about Shawn because I suspect many will dislike my view. Her height is a challenge, but Mark works better with her than any other current male dancer would. Now for the unkind stuff, intended in the nicest possible way: First, I just don't care for her body proportion, which while apparently great for a gymnast, doesn't appear right to me as a dancer. Then there is the issue of clothing which contributes. She just seems to young for the way the costume designers have been working to create and edge on the dance floor. Finally, there is the question of her emotional maturity for ballroom.

I am glad there are 2 or 3 of you with dance experience and give us valuable input as we go along with the show.My daughter was in competitive dancing when she was young (4 to 14 yrs old),in ballet and jazz.That's my limited knowledge but I do have an eye for talent and what a good performance would be. Again thanks for your posts.

FORT Fogey

Gilles' twitter: LINK

Posted the info about it in the media thread.

OMG! I am watching the first episode right now and I have not even seen him dance but I like him already, not just for his looks but more because he is making me laugh. Same reason I love Maks.

He is hikarious with his white socks.

Glad to ahave2 favorites so far. maks even thoughI also did not see him dance this season and this guy.

Off to watch him dance.

eta: Wow He can even dance. yes~! I am happy .

Gilles/Cheryl and Shawn/Mark got all my votes this week, with about 65% going to Gilles and Cheryl. I love her choreography and how she manages to discover and bring out the best in her partners.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle David;3383101;
    Reminds me of Helio, only better looking. I suspect he'll go far.
    I agree, he reminds me of Helio too, and I loved Helio.

Gilles is a very good dancer, I hope he is in the finale.
    ~Supernatural Addict~

Outstanding performance last night!!! These two deserve to win, in my opinion. You couldn't ask for a better partner/teacher than Cheryl. Gilles was amazing, not to mention HOT.
    Last edited by angelic_one2002; 03-17-2009 at 08:17 AM.
    "Success is falling nine times and getting up ten." - Jon Bon Jovi

+ Reply to Thread