+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 115 FirstFirst ... 891011121314151617181920212223242526272868 ... LastLast

Thread: Gilles Marini & Cheryl Burke - Season 8

Re: Gilles Marini & Cheryl Burke - Season 8

Quote Originally Posted by justsaying;3396968;
    There is no evidence to suggest that the possibility of Melissa posing for Playboy is anything more than a publicity gimmick for Hefner rather than anything on her table for future consideration. It was brought into this thread to exemplify the existence of a gender based double standard amongst Gilles' fans and it is that to which I responded.

Just wondering... have the posts on both topics been reveiwed to verify how many of those who have commented negatively regarding Playboy photo shoots are also enthusiastic over a soaped up Gilles? I haven't checked myself, but I would be interested in seeing the stats on this.

I think you're right about it being a publicity thing. I also was agreeing with you regarding expectations of folks, being career-based not gender-based. I think because Gilles is an actor, and Melissa had mentioned being a teacher the so called "double standard" isn't gender based.

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by ducky2;3396978;
    I think you're right about it being a publicity thing. I also was agreeing with you regarding expectations of folks, being career-based not gender-based. I think because Gilles is an actor, and Melissa had mentioned being a teacher the so called "double standard" isn't gender based.

Well yes, exactly right. And didn't she have issues about the skimpy Salsa outfit and her Dad seeing her like that? I mean, the DCC uniforms aren't exactly designed for prudes. If anything that's a double standard, it's Melissa's own words vis a vis her actions.

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by mommyof2poodles;3393644;
    I have been debating whether to post this or not. So please don't shoot the messenger. I think he is really good looking and a really good dancer.

I went to a viewing party Monday night and none of the women (11) had Gilles and Cheryl as their favorite. I did find this odd. I asked them why not and some said they got a creepy vibe from Gilles and some said they thought Cheryl had gotten "too big for her britches" (in case this is just a southern thing, it means snotty).

I will say that at times Cheryl has gotten a bit annoying, but I still really like her and I don't get the creepy vibe from Gilles at all. My top three are Melissa, Shawn, and Gilles and in that order. I will be happy if any of these three win. I would also be happy if Ty comes from behind by improving each week he stays and ends up being the dark horse. The rest I can take or leave. JMO

So, like I say don't shoot the messenger. I just found it odd that not one of those women had Gilles as their favorite. Oh.....and the women's ages were from 30 to little old me at 52.

Too bad. They obviously didn't see the interview about how he is a marvelous father, and his wife loves what he does, and wanted him to show her the Samba moves...or the inspiration for doing DWTS...he said he was on the phone and the publicist was asking him if he was going to do it or not, as he was watching his little 2 year old daughter in a tutu piroutting around his room. He thought it was a sign that he must do the show.

Also, the "southern" little jibe at Cheryl is pretty transparent. Yeah, there's a couple of southerners in the competition, so I suspect there's no way your friends would want to acknowledge Gilles.

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar

I love this guy. (not the same way Bruno apparently does) I really want to see Gillles and Shawn in the finals.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Andiemywestie;3396991;
    Well yes, exactly right. And didn't she have issues about the skimpy Salsa outfit and her Dad seeing her like that? I mean, the DCC uniforms aren't exactly designed for prudes. If anything that's a double standard, it's Melissa's own words vis a vis her actions.
    Melissa has said nothing about the rumored offer to pose for Playboy. If or until she does, it is still a rumor.

The idea of the "double standard" has nothing to do with Melissa's words at all and more to do with the way that some of the fans have reacted toward her posing in a binkini for the DCC calendar as compared to Gilles posing completely nude as nothing more than a sex object in a movie. Why when her private parts are at least covered is she demeaned and the implication made by some that she is morally lacking while at the same time a picture at Jokers' portrays stark exhibition of his private parts and yet he is lauded and praised as an incredibly hot actor? This is the double standard to which is referred.

To maneuver the idea of the double standard around from its original point of conversation to some other point baffles me as to it intent or purpose, and I don't understand why it is done.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloomers;3397020;
    Melissa has said nothing about the rumored offer to pose for Playboy. If or until she does, it is still a rumor.

The idea of the "double standard" has nothing to do with Melissa's words at all and more to do with the way that some of the fans have reacted toward her posing in a binkini for the DCC calendar as compared to Gilles posing completely nude as nothing more than a sex object in a movie. Why when her private parts are at least covered is she demeaned and the implication made by some that she is morally lacking while at the same time a picture at Jokers' portrays stark exhibition of his private parts and yet he is lauded and praised as an incredibly hot actor? This is the double standard to which is referred.

To maneuver the idea of the double standard around from its original point of conversation to some other point baffles me as to it intent or purpose, and I don't understand why it is done.
    What bothers me about the whole Playboy issue is the negative assumption that because Melissa is a "fame-seeker" (won't use the other term anymore), she is likely to accept the offer in order to further her career. I don't know about that, but it sure seems to me that Gilles accepted the role in SATC to further his career, not that there's anything wrong with that.

Only Melissa can substantiate that rumour?
    If Hugh Hefner was to say, "I offered Melissa $X to pose in Playboy", surely that would make the rumour of an offer true without Melissa having to say a word.

This is the double standard to which is referred.
    If people think there are other double-standards at play then they're more than welcome to discuss them.

Quote Originally Posted by UncleDavid
    I love this guy. (not the same way Bruno apparently does) I really want to see Gillles and Shawn in the finals.
    I think he's been fantastic so far.
    He seems to be a real natural talent.
    I hope Cheryl will continue to stretch him because he seems more than capable of performing at a high standard so far.
    "That's Numberwang!"

Quote Originally Posted by ironcat;3397031;
    What bothers me about the whole Playboy issue is the negative assumption that because Melissa is a "fame-seeker" (won't use the other term anymore), she is likely to accept the offer in order to further her career. I don't know about that, but it sure seems to me that Gilles accepted the role in SATC to further his career, not that there's anything wrong with that.
    I would like to thank you for not using that term. Personally it offends me quite a bit.

I hope Giles gets some work out of this, I think he is more capable of just being a fantasy creature and look forward to hearing about him getting better roles. I don't judge anyone on the nude scenes in movies - I just hope he gets in better movies. (NOT a SATC fan at all)
    Last edited by schmoo2; 03-30-2009 at 02:28 PM. Reason: ETA: (sp) getting, not betting

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by ironcat;3397031;
    I think it's logical to assume that Gilles auditioned for and accepted the SATC role for a paycheck. He's an actor. Like many other actors out there, he's going to pursue roles that will get him jobs and allow him to collect a paycheck. To me, that's the big difference between Gilles and the role he did and Melissa and the possible Playboy spread. He is an actor and model who accepted an acting job. She was a professional cheerleader and sales rep and an aspiring teacher. Doing a spread in Playboy would not contribute to the career that she was pursuing prior to gaining fame from The Bachelor.

Quote Originally Posted by fluff;3397038;

I think he's been fantastic so far.
    He seems to be a real natural talent.
    I hope Cheryl will continue to stretch him because he seems more than capable of performing at a high standard so far.
    I third the sentiment of really like Gilles, and think he's a great example of a celebrity using DWTS for exactly what it can be. Prior to DWTS, he was a guy trying to make it who had one big break that got him a lot of attention and then left him forgotten. By doing this show, he's got a great opportunity to take that flash of fame and use it to introduce himself as a person to a broader audience. I hope that he's able to maintain that and leverage it into something bigger. He comes across as a great guy and I'd love to see him find more success because of this show.
    Last edited by Veruka; 03-30-2009 at 02:20 PM.

FORT Fanatic

I'm not maneuvering anything. I have no knowledge of the playboy thing, nor do I think it's relevant. I am simply reacting to the point that Melissa wants to be a teacher. She wears skimpy clothing for DCC and DWTS. She has to take that into account when she decides to work with children. Those kids will have seen her either on the Football field or on DWTS. She will need to know how to handle that, given the fact that she even has a hard time revealing herself to her family in a DCC uniform or a skimpy outfit for millions. A teacher has to be comfortable in their own skin in order to be respected.

Whereas Gilles is not in the business of working with Children...his work has been in HBO and mature rated themes. If his work as an actor takes him out of that genre then he will need to deal with the transition of hot guy to leading man in a g-rated movie in order to be respected.

+ Reply to Thread