+ Reply to Thread
Page 102 of 115 FirstFirst ... 2529293949596979899100101102103104105106107108109110111112 ... LastLast
Results 1,011 to 1,020 of 1145

Thread: Gilles Marini & Cheryl Burke - Season 8

Re: Gilles Marini & Cheryl Burke - Season 8

Quote Originally Posted by kultainen;3453098;
    Boy did this discussion take a turn. I guess that's what is so amazing and at tme amusing about the boards. My post had as its premise an earlier post that compared Gilles' career trajectory and boost from DWTS to George Clooney's from ER. I repeat: apples and bicylces. Gilles is not and will never be IMO a Clooney story. I don't think anyone from a show like DWTS will ever get that kind of boost. Some boost yes, but for the short term and not in the direction I think he really wants.
    Also, I doubt very much Gilles came on the show to get telenovas in Mexico or Chile. I believe ultimately Gilles wants to be in movies, always has. I personally hope he is able to do so, but I don't think this show will help in in that medium. And it's true that in the US movie market, and yes TV as well, the pie for ethnic actors and actresses is unfortunately even more limited than usual. Finally, while he is an attractive sexy man, he is also no Banderas or even a Gerard Depardu in his prime who made (somewhat) the leap to the US.
    So, we can agree he will get work. My "disagreement" is the level of that work and the effect of raising him in the movie business.
    Not sure how Melli got into this conversation, but somehow she always does!
    For what it's worth: my one and only two cents: I try to be nothing if not consistent. I think everyone on this show comes on for a reason: Gilles to raise his acting profile and Q rating; Ty to promote bull riding (and because his wife wanted to); Chuck to raise his singing profile (and because his girlfriend does too); Kim to improve her "favorabilities", etc. etc. For Melli I think it was simple though I am sure I wil be doubted on this: it was a karmic balm on a badly bruised ego. TB was a mistake and a disaster. This fell into her lap and has given her a chance to get a better taste in her mouth. And go home feeling a whole lot better (and with a whole lotta cash). I don't think there's more to it long term for her.
    Gilles may turn out to be nothing more than eye candy but the extent of his acting talent has yet to be determined. Clooney's own good looks kept him from being taken seriously for years. He's taking whatever comes his way for exposure. He can only hope for his own ER type of opportunity to demonstrate what he's made of. DWTS for Gilles is more like The Facts of Life for Clooney and Brothers & Sisters could well be more like Rosanne or Sisters. Or maybe the young Clooney needed a few years of life experience to evolve into an actor of consequence in his thirties. The point is, every actor starts out being dismissed for one reason or another; just another flash in the pan, just another pretty face,... After they happen into some role which propels them to a higher level, people come out of the woodwork to claim that they knew they were special all along. Clooney himself has stated that the shelf life of most actors is ten years before they become sick of your face so it matters not what competition Gilles faces. The most proven of actors find themselves seeking out their next job as the fickle audience seeks out someone new and fresh. That's why so many use their own funds to bankroll their career and get the right roles or move onto directing (as Clooney has done as well).
    Last edited by justsaying; 05-17-2009 at 01:39 PM.

FORT Fan

Chris Harrison tweets.."Mel and Gilles will both do great things after this show. DWTS opens many doors. the opportunity is worth more than the prize money
    9:22 PM May 13th from web

FORT Fan

Does anyone suspect that ABC might have used DWTS to showcase their new actor on Brothers & Sisters?.... Who knows they may have signed him before the show or was in negociations? It would be a great way to also cross promote that show too!

They could have possibly used this show to test his popularity with the public.
    Last edited by SilverCreeklady; 05-17-2009 at 02:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverCreeklady;3453200;
    Does anyone suspect that ABC might have used DWTS to showcase their new actor on Brothers & Sisters?.... Who knows they may have signed him before the show or was in negociations? It would be a great way to also cross promote that show too!
    I think it's more likely that his positive reception and success on DWTS got him the role on B & S. His casting on DWTS was based on his small role in the SATC movie. It's funny that having seen the movie, and being a fan of the TV show, for the life of me I couldn't figure out who Gilles portrayed in the movie when his name (and his billing as a "star" of SATC) was first announced as being on the show. Guess his "part" (pun intended) wasn't as memorable to me as it was to some others.

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by ironcat;3453208;
    I think it's more likely that his positive reception and success on DWTS got him the role on B & S. His casting on DWTS was based on his small role in the SATC movie. It's funny that having seen the movie, and being a fan of the TV show, for the life of me I couldn't figure out who Gilles portrayed in the movie when his name (and his billing as a "star" of SATC) was first announced as being on the show. Guess his "part" (pun intended) wasn't as memorable to me as it was to some others.
    Well maybe that is why they waited to see the reponse before they announced it:

Quote Originally Posted by ironcat;3453208;
    ABC never passes up a chance to use someone to help promote another show. I think it may have been in the works beforehand. JMO

FORT Fanatic

Gilles has been quoted as saying that if he could do 20% of what George Clooney does, that would be amazing. The ability to choose your roles is something very important to him. He would like something to happen to make him more bankable and this show is giving him that recognition he never dreamed of getting stateside.

FORT Fan

Well he and George may have good looks in common..but he still has to be able to act in the character the roll calls for not just stand naked in a shower to get to his level!

I think the comparing to Clooney is a stretch, and I'm a big Gilles fan. It's just a setup for more fan volleyball, ugh. I don't know how well he can act. He had two or three lines in Sex and the City. I just know it'll be fun to see him in B&S, no matter how he does.

He doesn't need to be the next big anything. He should do whatever he's best at doing, and whatever he loves doing. After his shoulder heals, that is.
    "Whatever you are, be a good one." Abraham Lincoln
    What is an "MFWalkoff?"

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by SilverCreeklady;3453228;
    Well he and George may have good looks in common..but he still has to be able to act in the character the roll calls for not just stand naked in a shower to get to his level!

I'm looking forward to his quite meaty role in NipTuck, where he will play an evil younger husband to Vanessa Redgrave. He was amazed by the work and the challenge to work with an Oscar winning actress. I think Gilles is probably slightly better than what some want to give him credit for. We'll see. Rachel Griffths is no slouch either, winning and Emmy for Six Feet Under, and so he's in good company

+ Reply to Thread