+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 31 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Chuck Wicks & Julianne Hough - Season 8

FORT Fogey

Re: Chuck Wicks & Julianne Hough - Season 8

Quote Originally Posted by Thyme;3382870;
    There's been some concern as to whether or not Chuck's ego can withstand Julianne being the boss in front of millions of viewers, but from what I've observed in interviews and rehearsal he seems to be no stranger to her taking the lead.

It will be interesting to see how the viewer voting goes. A big chunk of Julianne's fan base carried over from her first season where they were quite taken with her first pairing. Will they be equally supportive to see her with her REAL boyfriend? I think that loud noise we heard was a gigantic bubble bursting.

Believe me, I have my favorite pro dancers, but switching them out from time to time might encourage the viewers to cast votes for the celebrity instead of the teacher which is as it should be.

The vibe as a competing couple seemed off to me. Her "baby" and personal relationship remarks, coupled with the white dress and his long -tailed tux put me oddly in mind of a reception wedding dance.

While Chuck and Juianne are both physically beautiful people, the chemistry between them as dancers does not sizzle as it did with Apollo and Julianne or even gel as the chemistry between other couples when the pro is obviously a strong support for the celebrity's talent such as was the case with Maks and Laila.
    Last edited by Bloomers; 03-14-2009 at 05:31 PM.
    If grace is an ocean, we're all drowning.

- John McMillan

Quote Originally Posted by Bloomers;3382904;
    The vibe as a competing couple seemed off to me. Her "baby" and personal relationship remarks, coupled with the white dress and his long -tailed tux put me oddly in mind of a reception wedding dance.
    So glad you mentioned that - I got the feeling when I first saw them that this was Chuck's pre-wedding dance class, and I wondered if he knew that. JK - I doubt Julianne needs to try to rush anyone to the altar, but it did look a little like the happy couple at a wedding.

Quote Originally Posted by ness;3379471;
    I'm with the "Don't think they're gonna be a dancing power couple!" crowd.

And one thing that really got on my nerves when the judges were giving their critiques of them was that Julianne always seemed to be piping up making excuses for her man ("Oh, he's nervous! when any of the judges said something negative about what he/they did. Funny (and correct me if I'm wrong, PLEASE!), but right now, I don't seem to recall her doing that for/with any of her previous partners. IIRC, she stood there, took the negative criticism with the good, and worked on the negative with whoever her partner happened to be.

Did her professionalism fly out the window just because she's paired up with her boyfriend?

PLEASE.

I don't care if they dance and set the ballroom on fire, they'll not be getting a single vote from Yours Truly.

Yea I was cringing when she kept making excuses for him too. I think she's done that with other partners...but not to this extreme (she's more emotionally invested in him of course) It was like stripping him of his manhood to have her keep excusing him to the judges. If I was him, I would tell J. to cut that out.
    "I actually thought our relationship was 50 times better than the other guys. I thought it was my job to come back and get her." Reid R.

Quote Originally Posted by ness;3381823;

But what REALLY stood out to me from what I saw/remember of her from past judging critiques was that when the judges would talk about what they did not like about her and her partner's performance, she might've winced, nodded, whatever, but I don't recall her being so quick to jump in and make excuses (and yep, that's how it came across to me on Monday) for whoever her partner was for what had been done that was not up to snuff in their eyes. From what I recall, she mostly soaked in what they were saying, ran it through her dancing brain, nodded, then went in with her partner to work on/correct whatever the judges hadn't liked about their performance.

Totally professional. I saw in her then that she WAS able to take reasonably given, negative criticism with style and class --- to not take it personally, but as a springboard for improvement, instead --- and not seem to be begging or pleading with the judges to not be mean to her partner. Or, unlike some (Derek, are you listening?) throwing a temper tantrum like a two-year-old because she didn't like what they said.

And, being so young, I LIKED that about her.

In this case, I don't think she can be totally professional about ANYTHING to do with the judging, because the guy she's dancing with is her man OUTSIDE of the ballroom. I think that's an unfair advantage, in this arena.

And, sure, because she's Chuck's lady (and also, because she's young) I can see and understand WHY she'd be so quick to jump in and make excuses for him, or defend him.

Also, the desperate-seeming WAY in which she scrabbled to make excuses for/defend Chuck --- and how QUICKLY she did it, too! --- just smacked to me of: "Oh, NO! PLEASE don't say that about him! He's My Guy! He's TRYING! He'll do BETTER!"

And as for getting hammered? Honestly, I've seen WORSE from those judges. I wouldn't say they hammered Chuck at ALL.

I don't think this pairing should ever have happened, in the FIRST place.

JMHO.

Looking at Julianne with her previous partners and how she took past critiques, I don't think it was overly too different than it is now. Maybe in front of the judges she talked slightly less, but overall having watching her in the past four seasons, its not too much different than it was last week. At least that's my perception of things.

I mean from Apolo to Helio, to Cody, she always spoke up for her partners, if not in front of the judges, then during the backstage interviews. Still remember her speaking up for Helio when the judges crapped on their rumba.

And the way she does speak up, its usually pretty mild. I don't think she's had any outbursts like her brother has had and I think Derek is much more vocal and annoying than Julianne is in defending their partners. So all in all, not sure why people think she's making more excuses now than before. Oh well, its only week one. Still have alot of shows left in the season, so don't pass judgement on Jules yet.

I will admit that one thing that annoyed me from last week is Julianne using 'baby', only because it keeps reminding me that she's with that d-bag Chuck arrrgggh! She could do so much better..............like with me! Ok so that's wishful thinking, but she could have basically any guy and she picks Chuck?? bleh.

Also with regards to the white dress, I think some people might be reading too much into things sometimes. If you look back, Julianne wore a similar type of white dress when she danced the waltz with Apolo. So did that mean she was hinting at Apolo to give her a ring too?

Quote Originally Posted by Bloomers;3382904;
    the chemistry between them as dancers does not sizzle as it did with Apollo and Julianne
    Apolo brought the sizzle! Still amazes me how the ice stays frozen beneath him.

TVDude, I didn't really mean to imply she was hinting anything to Chuck - I doubt she would need to. I think, knowing they're a real couple, it just hit me that they looked a little like a bride and groom. I think the style of the dance also played into that.

Quote Originally Posted by TVDude;3383187;
    I will admit that one thing that annoyed me from last week is Julianne using 'baby', only because it keeps reminding me that she's with that d-bag Chuck arrrgggh! She could do so much better..............like with me! Ok so that's wishful thinking, but she could have basically any guy and she picks Chuck?? bleh.

It's OK, Dude!

EASY, guy!

I just KNOW Julianne FEELS your love and will dial your digits when her disappointing detour with Chucky dies out!

"In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

I knew nothing of Chuck before seeing him on this show.
    I do feel, however, that he danced pretty well last night and I thought the judges were particularly harsh to him last night.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

These two can go anytime. I don't see the appeal with Chuck other than a pretty face. Julianne looked kind of uncomfortable last night.

FORT Fanatic

While I was watching them dance, I was thinking, "When is Chuck going to do something other than pose while Julianne dances around him?" So I was hardly surprised when the judges said the same thing.

What gets me about is that we know Julianne is a good choreographer, and we've seen that Chuck has great line and the ability to move. So why didn't she give him anything to do? Is she afraid to push him?

+ Reply to Thread