+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 31 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Chuck Wicks & Julianne Hough - Season 8

Re: Chuck Wicks & Julianne Hough - Season 8

I'm with the "Don't think they're gonna be a dancing power couple!" crowd.

And one thing that really got on my nerves when the judges were giving their critiques of them was that Julianne always seemed to be piping up making excuses for her man ("Oh, he's nervous! when any of the judges said something negative about what he/they did. Funny (and correct me if I'm wrong, PLEASE!), but right now, I don't seem to recall her doing that for/with any of her previous partners. IIRC, she stood there, took the negative criticism with the good, and worked on the negative with whoever her partner happened to be.

Did her professionalism fly out the window just because she's paired up with her boyfriend?

PLEASE.

I don't care if they dance and set the ballroom on fire, they'll not be getting a single vote from Yours Truly.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by ness;3379471;
    I'm with the "Don't think they're gonna be a dancing power couple!" crowd.

And one thing that really got on my nerves when the judges were giving their critiques of them was that Julianne always seemed to be piping up making excuses for her man ("Oh, he's nervous! when any of the judges said something negative about what he/they did. Funny (and correct me if I'm wrong, PLEASE!), but right now, I don't seem to recall her doing that for/with any of her previous partners. IIRC, she stood there, took the negative criticism with the good, and worked on the negative with whoever her partner happened to be.

Did her professionalism fly out the window just because she's paired up with her boyfriend?

PLEASE.

I don't care if they dance and set the ballroom on fire, they'll not be getting a single vote from Yours Truly.
    I honestly don't understand what the big deal is with that. Alot of pros on the show do the very same thing. I think its just normal for people to want to defend their partners on the dancefloor.

I don't see it as being whiny or her not being able to take criticism so much as doing what comes naturally to most people when someone says something negative about your partner.

Also re-watching the judging of their dance, all Julianne said was that Chuck was nervous and also that he was taller than her when Carrie Ann was docking them on the 'lift'. She wasn't angry when she said it, just stated it with a laugh. So not sure what the big deal is with that when pretty much every pro does that when their partner gets criticised? Sometimes it happens at the judges table, sometimes during the interviews after the dance and sometimes during the confessionals, but every pro defends their partner when they get hammered. Unless of course they really do stink and there's nothing to defend like how Woz or Ty 'danced', but that's another story.

FORT Fogey

I'm sure she came back because she knew her boyfriend would be her partner. He's not vg but I think they will stay in it for a bit as she has a big fan base. I don't think they go to F3 but they prob stay in it a little longer than his dancing would normally allow if he was with a different partner versus his girlfriend who is a fan fave. Cute couple.

Quote Originally Posted by TVDude;3380900;
    I honestly don't understand what the big deal is with that. Alot of pros on the show do the very same thing. I think its just normal for people to want to defend their partners on the dancefloor.

I don't see it as being whiny or her not being able to take criticism so much as doing what comes naturally to most people when someone says something negative about your partner.

Also re-watching the judging of their dance, all Julianne said was that Chuck was nervous and also that he was taller than her when Carrie Ann was docking them on the 'lift'. She wasn't angry when she said it, just stated it with a laugh. So not sure what the big deal is with that when pretty much every pro does that when their partner gets criticised? Sometimes it happens at the judges table, sometimes during the interviews after the dance and sometimes during the confessionals, but every pro defends their partner when they get hammered. Unless of course they really do stink and there's nothing to defend like how Woz or Ty 'danced', but that's another story.

Hi, Dude!

For me, at least (and I think a LOT of other people, perhaps, too) the basic issue here is that Julianne and Chuck are partners in life as WELL as on the dance floor. Which gives them a huge advantage in the "Not Having to Create Chemistry Because it's Already There!" department.

Starting from that point . . .

Sure, the pro dancers are going to defend their partners (OK . . . Woz, Ty, Penn, Master P, et al., are a TOTALLY different thing!). That's a given, and, actually, would be expected, I would think. Particularly when the partner in question has never danced before and is going out there on a limb in front of God and everybody, taking the risk of possibly making a fool of themselves, big time.

From what I recall seeing of Julianne in the past when critiques were given, I can't say she didn't sometimes defend some of her previous partners when the criticism from the judges was particularly rough.

But what REALLY stood out to me from what I saw/remember of her from past judging critiques was that when the judges would talk about what they did not like about her and her partner's performance, she might've winced, nodded, whatever, but I don't recall her being so quick to jump in and make excuses (and yep, that's how it came across to me on Monday) for whoever her partner was for what had been done that was not up to snuff in their eyes. From what I recall, she mostly soaked in what they were saying, ran it through her dancing brain, nodded, then went in with her partner to work on/correct whatever the judges hadn't liked about their performance.

Totally professional. I saw in her then that she WAS able to take reasonably given, negative criticism with style and class --- to not take it personally, but as a springboard for improvement, instead --- and not seem to be begging or pleading with the judges to not be mean to her partner. Or, unlike some (Derek, are you listening?) throwing a temper tantrum like a two-year-old because she didn't like what they said.

And, being so young, I LIKED that about her.

In this case, I don't think she can be totally professional about ANYTHING to do with the judging, because the guy she's dancing with is her man OUTSIDE of the ballroom. I think that's an unfair advantage, in this arena.

And, sure, because she's Chuck's lady (and also, because she's young) I can see and understand WHY she'd be so quick to jump in and make excuses for him, or defend him.

Also, the desperate-seeming WAY in which she scrabbled to make excuses for/defend Chuck --- and how QUICKLY she did it, too! --- just smacked to me of: "Oh, NO! PLEASE don't say that about him! He's My Guy! He's TRYING! He'll do BETTER!"

And as for getting hammered? Honestly, I've seen WORSE from those judges. I wouldn't say they hammered Chuck at ALL.

I don't think this pairing should ever have happened, in the FIRST place.

JMHO.

Last edited by ness; 03-13-2009 at 07:02 AM.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

I'm a Julieanne fans so it is great to see her on the show this year with her sweetie. I think it is a great opportunity for her to have an excuse to teach him something she loves so they can enjoy it together. Who know he may improve so much they could do a dance at some of their concerts.

Frankly, I don't think the two of them dancing together is a good idea. Hopefully, they have a strong relationship because Chuck didn't look as though he was enjoying himself! Julianne is looking for that 3rd win, I'm sure Chuck is feeling the pressure and to be criticized by your SO when you're learning to dance on national TV could take a toll on their relationship.

In my own little corner, in my own little chair...

I've said since they announced this pairing: either they'll do really well because of their already established chemistry or it could hurt a young relationship. I hope the latter is not the case.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Blues Songstres;3382561;
    I've said since they announced this pairing: either they'll do really well because of their already established chemistry or it could hurt a young relationship. I hope the latter is not the case.
    That's a good point. This show is stressful and tons of work as it is so having a personal relationship could either go really well or really bad. I don't think he's vg but I never discount Julieanne because she has a big fan following and her choreography is excellent.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Quote Originally Posted by Blues Songstres;3382561;
    Since there's always the big deal over DWTS romances it'll be interesting if the show actually causes a split. From interviews Julianne and Chuck seem very in love so I hope this doesn't hurt their relationship. He seemed kind of uncomfortable week 1, so I'll be curious to see if he improves. Julianne didn't really seem like herself, either. I almost get the feeling like I have with Ty/Jewel: he doesn't really want to be here but is doing it for her. Julianne does have a big fan following and since this guy isn't as offensive as Adam Corrolla might actually get far. I'm not sure what type of fan following he has but I think it might be mostly her in these early rounds.

There's been some concern as to whether or not Chuck's ego can withstand Julianne being the boss in front of millions of viewers, but from what I've observed in interviews and rehearsal he seems to be no stranger to her taking the lead.

It will be interesting to see how the viewer voting goes. A big chunk of Julianne's fan base carried over from her first season where they were quite taken with her first pairing. Will they be equally supportive to see her with her REAL boyfriend? I think that loud noise we heard was a gigantic bubble bursting.

Believe me, I have my favorite pro dancers, but switching them out from time to time might encourage the viewers to cast votes for the celebrity instead of the teacher which is as it should be.

+ Reply to Thread