Page 1 of 32 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Shawn Johnson & Mark Ballas - Season 8

Shawn Johnson & Mark Ballas - Season 8

PROFESSION:
    Olympic gymnast

PARTNER:
    Mark Ballas

BACKGROUND:
    The youngest ever competitor on Dancing with the Stars, 17 year-old Olympian Shawn Johnson was the gold medalist in balance beam at the 2008 Summer Olympics in Beijing where she also earned 3 silver medals in the team, floor exercise and individual all-around categories. The current two-time National Champion and high-school Junior Johnson appeared on a limited edition Cheerios box in early 2009, led the pledge of allegiance at last year's Democratic National Convention in Denver, was a headliner of last fall's Tour of Gymnastics Superstars and was named Choice Female Athlete at the 2008 Teen Choice Awards. Her debut biography Shawn Johnson: Olympic Champion: Stories Behind the Smile was released in December.
    "That's Numberwang!"

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Re: Shawn Johnson & Mark Ballas - Season 8

I don't mind Shawn, but I'm really hoping for a non Ballas/Hough victory this year. It'll be interesting to see how she does, but fan base wise she's good for awhile.

You know, I like her, but I'm weary about how she'll perform. Her dancing in the floor routine is often mocked for being robotic and such, but if she can fix that, then she'll do fine because of her endurance, and fanbase. Plus she's really short.

I, personally, would have preferred Alicia Sacramone (she was also interested in appearing on the show) because I think her personality would fit the show better, and draw in more fans.

In my own little corner, in my own little chair...

I like Shawn and hope she does well. In regard to her performances on the floor exercise, maybe learning to dance will improve her movement and make her less "robotic".

I'll be interested to see how her height will affect their dances and if she'll incorporate any flips into her routines.

She was one of my favorite athletes from the Beijing Olympics though so I'll be rooting for her.

Saw a TV clip (I think it was "Access Hollywood") with her and Mark.

She is ONLY 4'10"!

Good Lord! I thought KRISTI was tiny!

Mark made mention of how she started out in 2", or 2 1/2" heels, then they jacked her up to 3" heels, and he STILL has to adjust himself downwards to fit into a proper dancing frame with her.

Wow.

Being an Olympian, I know her work ethic is already in place, but I'm really interested to see how well they can adapt to and maintain the adjustments they --- Mark, in particular --- have to incorporate for her very petite stature.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

Shawn Johnson is an amazing young woman. I've read a lot of local stories about her because she is from Des Moines, and she always comes across as being a sweet, down to earth teenager. I've never been a big fan of Dancing with the Stars, but I guess I'll have to watch it now and cheer Shawn on. "yay

I'll be rooting for Shawn. I loved her in the Olympics.
    "How do you know the chosen ones? No greater love hath a man than he lay down his life for his friend. Not for millions, not for glory, not for fame... for one person. In the dark. Where no one will ever know or see." - Sebastion, Babylon 5

My 17 yo son said he will be watching this year because 'Shawn is so hot!'
    She is a cutie!

I will be interested to see how her height affects her dancing compared to her athleticism and gymnastics experience. I think that Kristi probably had more of an edge on the competition because modern gymnastics is very much about the specific tumbles/poses versus ice skating is still very much a middle ground between a dance and the required jumps in a routine.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 32 1234567891011 ... LastLast