+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 32 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Shawn Johnson & Mark Ballas - Season 8

Re: Shawn Johnson & Mark Ballas - Season 8

Quote Originally Posted by Peacheater;3389216;
    Word inside the professional dance world is that the producers are watching over her carefully and had a talk with both Len and Bruno about "moral values" issues in the US which are largely laughed at in the UK. We're considered country bumpkins by most Europeans in the arts communities.

PS, Good luck with your "ocean shoveling" gig. I'll be cleaning liquid off of my keyboard now that I just spit on it while reading that.
    As conservative as I am in many ways, I just don't really have a problem with Shawn being on this show. She is 17. Only 1 year younger than Julianne when she was Apolo's partner. Julieanne had been doing these moves for years in competition. Shawn's parents had to be aware of how this show works and are comfortable enough to let her come on it. I think you can be sexy without being raunchy. Now if Shawn doesn't feel comfortable doing the dances in a sexy or sensual way then by all means she should hold to her beliefs. I just think if the dance is suppose to be a bit suggestive (and part of the judges score are suppose to take that into consideration) and she does not do that then her scores should not be as high as the couples who do what the judges expect. I personally have no problem seeing a 17 year old girl doing the latin dances. It is, after all, just dancing.

I love Shawn. She is far and away my second, a very close second, favorite person on the show. I hope she makes it to the top three.

My point is, on the first night the judges and Tom kept harping on how they would score Holly and Melissa on what they saw on the dance floor only. They would not take into consideration that they had less time to prepare. So, if the dance calls for sexy and sensual then Shawn should be scored just like the other couples. If her fans want her they will vote for her regardless, but the judges need to hold all couples to the same standards, no matter the age.

ETA: Peacheater I see you agree on the one standard for judging. I only quoted the above to make my respond easier for me...lol
    Last edited by mommyof2poodles; 03-22-2009 at 03:17 PM.
    Happiness isn't just an emotion, it is a state of mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloomers;3389371;
    So, in essence according to what you are hearing, she is actually going to be judged to different standards than the adults?
    No, please read post #54 above which more accurately reflects both my opinion based on what I've learned, and my belief as a former dance professional (albeit, not a particularly great one). There can only be one standard for the judges. What Len and Bruno were talked to concerned American audience "sensitivities." They simply can't say what they did last Monday.

I wish I could think of an appropriate way to wave or something from the audience on Tuesday. If anyone has a foolproof idea please let me know.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

I'm not overly impressed with Shawn but at least Mark doesn't look like a maniac out there dancing this time. She seems really nervous but I wonder when it gets to the more sexier routines how she'll handle them.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Peacheater;3389436;
    No, please read post #54 above which more accurately reflects both my opinion based on what I've learned, and my belief as a former dance professional (albeit, not a particularly great one). There can only be one standard for the judges. What Len and Bruno were talked to concerned American audience "sensitivities." They simply can't say what they did last Monday.

I wish I could think of an appropriate way to wave or something from the audience on Tuesday. If anyone has a foolproof idea please let me know.

Are you telling me you are going to be there on Tuesday? Good for you, and I hope you have a great time.

BTW, how did you manage that???
    If grace is an ocean, we're all drowning.

- John McMillan

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Peacheater;3389436;
    What will you be wearing so we can try and find you?! You could blow a kiss at the camera or make a thumbs up sign so we know it's you. Have a wonderful time.

FORT Fogey

It would have been better had Shawn waited at least a year to do the show. She's still a minor and looks about 14 which makes the sexier dances very difficult and that accounts for about half of them. I commend Mark for keeping them age appropriate as he should, but I'm sure it impacts what he can and can't do with his choreography.

FORT Fanatic

Perhaps naughty was the wrong way for the judges to say it. But so totally true 17 year old kids dance Latin dances the right way every single day.....I don't see why Shawn can't.

Is there not a Junior Ball Room dance league (or whatever you want to call it).
    There are children doing this type of dancing much younger than Shawn. I personally will give her the chance to prove herself rather than take the approach she should not be on the show because of her age. Go Shawn, your home state is 100% behind you in this adventure and enjoy your self while dancing.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloomers;3389492;
    Are you telling me you are going to be there on Tuesday? Good for you, and I hope you have a great time.

BTW, how did you manage that???
    A good friend attended a small charity auction in Hollywood where the tickets were available.

Quote Originally Posted by karalott;3389460;
    I'm not overly impressed with Shawn but at least Mark doesn't look like a maniac out there dancing this time. She seems really nervous but I wonder when it gets to the more sexier routines how she'll handle them.
    I also haven't been overly impressed with Shawn (although I think she is adorable). I'm also wondering how she'll handle the sexier dances.

+ Reply to Thread