+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 32 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Shawn Johnson & Mark Ballas - Season 8

Re: Shawn Johnson & Mark Ballas - Season 8

The gymnastic competition is my favorite Olympic sport, but I am always struck by the tremendous pressure the athletes face at such a young age. Obviously she can handle the pressure of this competition, and though someone upthread said she 'only' (relative to other gymnasts) practices 4 hours a day, I'm quite sure that long and physically taxing practices are nothing new for her. IMO, this is one reason athletes do well on DWTS because the physical demands are tremendous.

Shawn has so much personality, and despite not being used to expressing emotion, I think it would difficult to watch her and not like her. I am rooting for her to do well in this competition - hopefully al the way to the finals.

Bring on Monday night!

Quote Originally Posted by beachgirl4;3383086;
    The gymnastic competition is my favorite Olympic sport, but I am always struck by the tremendous pressure the athletes face at such a young age. Obviously she can handle the pressure of this competition, and though someone upthread said she 'only' (relative to other gymnasts) practices 4 hours a day, I'm quite sure that long and physically taxing practices are nothing new for her. IMO, this is one reason athletes do well on DWTS because the physical demands are tremendous.

Shawn has so much personality, and despite not being used to expressing emotion, I think it would difficult to watch her and not like her. I am rooting for her to do well in this competition - hopefully al the way to the finals.

Bring on Monday night!
    It was me who said I had read an article (back during the Olympics) that said she worked out only 4 hours a day and took Sundays off. The article said that her parents wanted it that way so she could have a more normal childhood and go to regular school. That is still a lot of working out. She is top in her field and does it in less time, pretty impressive. I can't image doing as much as some gymnasts do.

And you are right long hard workouts are not going to be a hardship for her. It will be 'old hat'.

I am in complete awe of someone that has accomplished so much in just 17 years.
    Happiness isn't just an emotion, it is a state of mind.

Quote Originally Posted by mommyof2poodles;3383093;
    It was me who said I had read an article (back during the Olympics) that said she worked out only 4 hours a day and took Sundays off.

I am in complete awe of someone that has accomplished so much in just 17 years.
    Sorry, mommyof2poodles, I was too lazy to go back and look to see who had posted that. I, too, am in awe of how much she has accomplished. I hope she'll be back for the next olympics.

Shawn!!! I've seen her compete in Gymnastics a LOT of times and I got into a bit of liking for her. lol. However, did she gain weight? It looks like it. but she can dance!! I love Mark's routines. I always do...

Quote Originally Posted by kiariclois;3386420;
    Shawn!!! I've seen her compete in Gymnastics a LOT of times and I got into a bit of liking for her. lol. However, did she gain weight? It looks like it. but she can dance!! I love Mark's routines. I always do...
    If she has, this show will knock it off. lol.

I remember thinking the first time I saw Mary Lou Retton in real clothes and not in a leotard that she looked like she had gained also, but she hadn't. I think it could be just muscle. She is buildt like Mary Lou, short and compact. I think when her gymnastic days are over she will lose some muscle and look more curvey. JMO
    Happiness isn't just an emotion, it is a state of mind.

I think her body type makes it a bit more difficult to pull off the dance moves like the women that are long and lean but I think she is very cute/pretty and is doing quite well. I love to see her dance. She appears to be trying very hard to get it. I think she is competitive and will give it her all to do well. I want to see her in the last three standing.

Quote Originally Posted by kiariclois;3386420;
    I don't think she has--during the Olympics, L and I discussed how stocky Shawn looked, although we are sure it's all muscle, she looked much heavier than the usual very thin gymnasts. Check pictures from the Olympics of her and the other gymnasts to see what I mean.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

FORT Fogey

I think that's just her natural body type at present. She's very short and has no waist definition. It might change as she gets older and completely out of the sport but the shorter gymnasts tend to maintain this shape more often than not. She's adorable but her height and shape don't make her as pleasing physically on the dance floor as some of those that are long and lean.

Hmm... I dunno really... Judging by THIS PICTURE and THIS PICTURE, I can see that she has put on some weight... Perhaps you guys are right that she developed more muscle, her shoulders are definitely getting a bit bigger and I think she's a bit tan. lol. Sorry about looking over these things, 'cause I could barely notice it's her. lol. Like I said, I a huge Gymnastic fan and I see her compete quite a lot.

I don't think the body shape is an issue when you can dance. It's a matter of being able to move comfortably with it. You know, Shawn reminds me of Sabrina Bryan. The body isn't really super-model-like, though they seemed very comfortable with it...

Kids seem so worldly these days. I can't tell you how refreshing it is to see Shawn get all blushy and shy when Mark was trying to teach her to wiggle about.

I hope she can handle the rumba. Mark will have to find some way to make it convincing while toning it down because she is a minor.

+ Reply to Thread