+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Lawrence Taylor & Edyta Sliwinska - Season 8

Re: Lawrence Taylor & Edyta Sliwinska - Season 8

Quote Originally Posted by ironcat;3398807;
    I also don't find him any worse than Jerry Rice was at this stage in season 2, who ultimately finished second.
    ...but Jerry Rice was likable and sold a "believable" if not good performance. Warren Sapp was very rough around the edges, but he was charming and could deliver the goods. Maybe not the best dancer, but most certainly one of the most enjoyable.

To be honest, the only football player I had ever heard of (not a huge fan of the sport) was Emmitt Smith, but I still liked the other NFLers because they were able to sell the dance to me, whether it was technically good or not.

Maybe I'm wrong and the football community really follows this show, and maybe his fan base is bigger than I can imagine, but I have a feeling LT isn't long for the game this time around.
    Blessed are those who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused

I was a little bothered by his attitude toward Edyta. I know a huge ego goes with being a football player, but he didn't respond well at all to her trying to correct him. If he can't accept that she is the pro in this situation and that if he wants to improve, he must listen to her, then he should go. It felt to me like he had the attitude of, 'hey, I'm the star and who are you to tell me anything?' when she was just trying to do her job. Contrast that with Ty, who is equally accomplished in his own sport (so I've read), but fully embraces that he is the student with lots to learn and you see why he's improved dramatically where LT hasn't.

Quote Originally Posted by beachgirl4;3402171;
    I was a little bothered by his attitude toward Edyta. I know a huge ego goes with being a football player, but he didn't respond well at all to her trying to correct him. If he can't accept that she is the pro in this situation and that if he wants to improve, he must listen to her, then he should go. It felt to me like he had the attitude of, 'hey, I'm the star and who are you to tell me anything?' when she was just trying to do her job. Contrast that with Ty, who is equally accomplished in his own sport (so I've read), but fully embraces that he is the student with lots to learn and you see why he's improved dramatically where LT hasn't.
    I think part of LT's problem is that, as competitive as he is, he is also well aware of the past success of NFLers on this show, so he feels he has something to live up to, if not exceed, however unlikely. Ty probably just did the show initially for his wife, and feels less pressure to be the best, although I'm sure in his field he is extremely competitive.

Quote Originally Posted by ironcat;3402196;
    I think part of LT's problem is that, as competitive as he is, he is also well aware of the past success of NFLers on this show, so he feels he has something to live up to, if not exceed, however unlikely. Ty probably just did the show initially for his wife, and feels less pressure to be the best, although I'm sure in his field he is extremely competitive.
    I'm sure you're right, but the best way to be successful would be for him to listen to Edyta! He may have underestimated the effort it would take, but again if he doesn't want to put the effort in, then he should make way for those who do. I mean, if he doesn't care about doing well, that's perfectly okay - but I still thought he was disrespectful to Edyta.

Quote Originally Posted by beachgirl4;3402200;
    I'm sure you're right, but the best way to be successful would be for him to listen to Edyta! He may have underestimated the effort it would take, but again if he doesn't want to put the effort in, then he should make way for those who do. I mean, if he doesn't care about doing well, that's perfectly okay - but I still thought he was disrespectful to Edyta.
    I think he does care about doing well, so much so that he finds it difficult to function in an environment where his best efforts result in him being mediocre at best. Where you see disrespect, I see extreme frustration. Of course with editing, only he and Edyta know what is really going on.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by ironcat;3402209;
    I think he does care about doing well, so much so that he finds it difficult to function in an environment where his best efforts result in him being mediocre at best. Where you see disrespect, I see extreme frustration. Of course with editing, only he and Edyta know what is really going on.
    I agree with you. He is trying as hard as he can as evidenced in his (frustrated) remarks that he doesn't know what it takes to get 8s from the judges. While he was a fantastically gifted football player, he doesn't have the lightness and ease of movement that both Jerry Rice and the heavier Warren Sapp had.

The football players do have an advantage in that they have had ballet training for balance, and they have had years of training with emphasis on foot work (in and out of those tires, etc.) and body control, but if they don't have that natural flair and the "it" factor, they are not going to make it to the finals.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloomers;3402215;
    I agree with you. He is trying as hard as he can as evidenced in his (frustrated) remarks that he doesn't know what it takes to get 8s from the judges. While he was a fantastically gifted football player, he doesn't have the lightness and ease of movement that both Jerry Rice and the heavier Warren Sapp had.

The football players do have an advantage in that they have had ballet training for balance, and they have had years of training with emphasis on foot work (in and out of those tires, etc.) and body control, but if they don't have that natural flair and the "it" factor, they are not going to make it to the finals.
    I don't see his frustration that he doesn't know what it takes to get an 8 as evidence he is trying his hardest. I see it as ego, because he hasn't danced to the level that warrants an 8 yet. I'm sure that would be frustrating, but as you said, he just doesn't have that natural flair. Disappointing as that may be, I don't think he should blame the judges for it suggesting that they're not scoring him fairly.

And I still say, he basically gave Edyta a look of, "how dare you talk back to me." Sorry, I just don't like his attitude.

I think part of that "IT" factor that's missing with LT is chemistry with his partner. Kym and Warren had it, Edyta and Jason had it (didn't see Jerry or Emmit's seasons, but I assume they did too).

LT does not have this. For whatever reason, he is not projecting anything while dancing with Edyta. It doesn't have to be sexual in nature, Kym and Warren did wonders with a playful, carefree camraderie. LT just seems to want to get it over with. Maybe he should start thinking of Edyta as his coach?
    There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats. A. Schweitzer

Quote Originally Posted by beachgirl4;3402598;
    I don't see his frustration that he doesn't know what it takes to get an 8 as evidence he is trying his hardest. I see it as ego, because he hasn't danced to the level that warrants an 8 yet. I'm sure that would be frustrating, but as you said, he just doesn't have that natural flair. Disappointing as that may be, I don't think he should blame the judges for it suggesting that they're not scoring him fairly.

And I still say, he basically gave Edyta a look of, "how dare you talk back to me." Sorry, I just don't like his attitude.
    But when someone just doesn't have the ablility, they can try their absolute hardest and just not achieve the desired results. LT not only worked his butt off in the NFL, he was also naturally gifted. That is not the case here, and I think he is having trouble adjusting to it.

Also, he may not be worthy (or capable) of 8's, but that 5 from Len (when Woz got a 4) was insulting.

Quote Originally Posted by ironcat;3402761;
    But when someone just doesn't have the ablility, they can try their absolute hardest and just not achieve the desired results. LT not only worked his butt off in the NFL, he was also naturally gifted. That is not the case here, and I think he is having trouble adjusting to it.

Also, he may not be worthy (or capable) of 8's, but that 5 from Len (when Woz got a 4) was insulting.
    I'll give you that one for sure - the 5 was uncalled for. And I agree that he can work his hardest and still not get the results he wants. That's why I think he'd do a little better to try and relax and have more fun with it, and I think that would make for better performances. Some of the worst dancers on this show throughout all of the seasons, have also been some of the most entertaining. He's not an entertainer either, so maybe that's an unfair expectation on my part. I just don't want him to take his frustrations out on Edyta and I think that's part of the chemistry that's missing between them, as Gala said. I'm sure Edyta can handle it, though, so I shouldn't worry about her too much.

+ Reply to Thread