+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1213141516171819202122

Thread: 11/25 Finale Discussion **Spoilers**

Re: 11/25 Finale Discussion **Spoilers**

This is my first post all season, but just wanted to add my 2 cents. Beyond loving Julianne, Maks, and Kym, I would like to see them give Jonathon a partner who has a chance at making it beyond mid-season. I think Tony needs to stop treating his partners as if they were fragile china dolls. Maks had a real chance again this season (poor Misty, with her injury!). I love his choreography (and that isn't a euphemism, lol! I love his moves...oh, there I go again... ). Out of all the pros, I think Julianne is by far the best choreaographer. She always comes up with unique routines and is a good teacher. (As opposed to some of the pros' "tough love" I'm embarrassed to watch during their practice sessions.) Kym also appears to be a great teacher.

What I don't want to see next season: that awful "roasting" segment. Ugh! That guy was reading his notes and it's just plain uncomfortable to watch a roast, imho. Let's keep the dancing going, instead of all that filler.

Tom is an outstanding host (his comment about that piece of glitter that fell off Kym's outfit being Edyta's entire costume was priceless ) Samantha is getting better, but she still has these awkward moments when she's talking with people backstage. She makes me cringe sometimes

Anyway, just my 2 cents. Reading this back, I sound like a know-it-all, but it's just that I'm posting a full season's worth of thoughts at once. It's been fun reading your comments though Looking forward to seeing who makes it back next season!!!

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Quote Originally Posted by Nativenewyorker;3242383;
    This is too funny! You are just one step ahead of me every time. I was going to post the ratings for the finale this season and the highest rating for season 5, which was about 4 million more viewers. Of course, with Jennie Garth, Mel B., Helio and even Jane Seymour, as well as Sabrina who got voted out way too early, it would only seem natural that the ratings were so high. Considering the fact that this season was pretty mediocre, but had a decent finish, I think the 20.6 million is quite good. They won their time slot, so ABC should be happy for November sweeps. A lot of scripted shows are not doing well after the writers strike. I really think there is no reason for any panic or major makeover for this show. If Misty May and Maks stayed in it, I think it might have been a truly outstanding semifinal and final. But as it is, it turned out pretty good.

I definitely agree that there should not be any ringers. I also didn't want to seem biased against older dancers, especially since I am middle aged myself. I don't mind if they want to include one or two dancers in their 50's or 60's. People in their forties have been pretty competitive, too. But if you look at the ones who have won, they have all been young. I don't buy the argument that if you have had any dance training, then you have an innate advantage. Since ballroom dancing is so unique in its moves and steps and so incredibly demanding, I don't think having ballet or tap or even dancing in a group gives the celebrity a real advantage. I think the athletes have been the ones who have had the true advantage, due to their superior conditioning and athletic ability and competitiveness. Even though they haven't danced before, they have done really well on the show.

I guess sometimes it's a bit of rolling the dice when they pick the celebrities. Some people that you would never think could dance at all, end up being really great.

I am hoping that there will be a space for Ashley next season. I sure hope we get to see more of Maxs. I say they stick with the regular pros. There are a few who have been gone a while and it would sure be nice to see them again.

I am really glad that there is someone else who remembers Charlotte. I think about her a lot and wonder where she is and what she is doing. I vaguely remember some of the others you mentioned. You have a very good memory.
    I did a google search on some of those pros we mentioned, plus a few others that sprang to mind (not ones that I would care to see again, but just curious what they're up to). I couldn't find anything current on Andrea Hale, but from what I found on Charlotte it looks like she's retired from competitive dancing and is now teaching/training around the world. She and John O'Hurley released a dance instructional DVD last year. And speaking of John, has he ever returned to DWTS? We often see former contestants there but I don't think I've ever seen him. I was thinking of Ashly, and if they go back to having just 6 female pros next season I'm not too sure she'll be back. Unless DWTS decides to copy SCD and have 14 couples total, or if they want to bring over more cross overs from other shows and decide to up the couple count that way. Anyway, I'm betting the ones all one tour (Lacey, Kym, Cheryl, Edyta, and Karina) will be back. Besides that, they're all familar faces on the show and have their own fan bases. So that would leave one spot. Anna had expressed interest in returning after one season, and she recently split from her professional dance partner. I can't believe Maks won't be back. People may be more apt to recognize her than Ashly. I hope she doesn't get the short end of the stick again (either of them, because they've both been stuck with crap partners or those with small fan bases). I do wonder if we'll see Tony in the spring. His wife just had their twins in September and to be honest Tony didn't seem like he was enjoying himself much this season. I hope Alec is back

One celeb I would probably bet money on finally making her appearance next season is Florence Henderson. She's expressed interest for awhile now at coming on, and who hasn't heard of The Brady Bunch? I guess they have to fill that slot, but I do agree, put someone on that is actually going to stand a chance for awhile and who doesn't look completely painful to watch. Jane and Marie started strong I thought but eventually ran out of steam. I hope there's no boy banders next year, but if there is, I guess they'll have to start picking former members of the Backstreet Boys. Only other person from N Sync that would probably be well known would be Justin. And thank god he likely considers himself above doing a show like this. I agree with your point about the athletes; of course some have fallen flat (Monica Seles and Clyde Drexler) but for the most part athletes on this show have done extremely well. I have little doubt Misty/Maks would have been in the final 3. It's doubtful she could come back as early as next season, but I hope in the fall, if she's able, they'll give her another chance. She's dropped plenty of hints in interviews that she wants to return and Maks said nothing would stop him from coming back with her. This season started off on a high note for me when I saw who was cast, but ended up falling flat. Unlike last season, where I had no one I really cared about, this season I had favorites. Unfortuantely they all went out early. I grew to love Warren and Cody, but without Warren this season would have been a complete dud to me. I wish they'd stick to the format used in earlier seasons. Considering it didn't make a huge ratings wave maybe they'll realize the direction they want wasn't a huge success. I wonder how they did in capturing the younger crowd.

Tom is an outstanding host (his comment about that piece of glitter that fell off Kym's outfit being Edyta's entire costume was priceless ) Samantha is getting better, but she still has these awkward moments when she's talking with people backstage. She makes me cringe sometimes
    I can't believe Tom lost the reality show host award at the Emmys this year. Probst has nothing on him except a huge ego. I always liked Samantha but after this season? Yeah, I get what everyone complains about. And I agree with your take on Jonathan; he's not my favorite but it'd be nice if he got someone good for a change. I didn't get why the finale was just one long recap of the season. The finales in the past were so much better.

What a disappointment.,Just watched it and disgusted by the voting of the judges once again. Brooke was overscored as usual.

I would have rather seen Lance and Lacey win, cause I at least liked Lance then Brooke and Derek cause I do not like both of them.

bleh.

Oh and I loved Corky.I don't think any of the other dancers would have coped with Chloris as he did.
    He is great and funny!

Corky said in an interview that he did an unrehearsed spin of Cloris (I don't recall the name of it, but it was shown again on the finale), just because he thought he needed to save their performance.

I was appalled, because he clearly was out of line with that extremely unprofessional decision. That interview is posted somewhere here, probably on his thread.

Some of those dance moves are risky enough when they're well-rehearsed, by younger people.

The good news is that Cloris' reaction after the performance is now explained.

Quote Originally Posted by karalott;3242646;
    I did a google search on some of those pros we mentioned, plus a few others that sprang to mind (not ones that I would care to see again, but just curious what they're up to). I couldn't find anything current on Andrea Hale, but from what I found on Charlotte it looks like she's retired from competitive dancing and is now teaching/training around the world. She and John O'Hurley released a dance instructional DVD last year. And speaking of John, has he ever returned to DWTS? We often see former contestants there but I don't think I've ever seen him. I was thinking of Ashly, and if they go back to having just 6 female pros next season I'm not too sure she'll be back. Unless DWTS decides to copy SCD and have 14 couples total, or if they want to bring over more cross overs from other shows and decide to up the couple count that way. Anyway, I'm betting the ones all one tour (Lacey, Kym, Cheryl, Edyta, and Karina) will be back. Besides that, they're all familar faces on the show and have their own fan bases. So that would leave one spot. Anna had expressed interest in returning after one season, and she recently split from her professional dance partner. I can't believe Maks won't be back. People may be more apt to recognize her than Ashly. I hope she doesn't get the short end of the stick again (either of them, because they've both been stuck with crap partners or those with small fan bases). I do wonder if we'll see Tony in the spring. His wife just had their twins in September and to be honest Tony didn't seem like he was enjoying himself much this season. I hope Alec is back
    One celeb I would probably bet money on finally making her appearance next season is Florence Henderson. She's expressed interest for awhile now at coming on, and who hasn't heard of The Brady Bunch? I guess they have to fill that slot, but I do agree, put someone on that is actually going to stand a chance for awhile and who doesn't look completely painful to watch. Jane and Marie started strong I thought but eventually ran out of steam. I hope there's no boy banders next year, but if there is, I guess they'll have to start picking former members of the Backstreet Boys. Only other person from N Sync that would probably be well known would be Justin. And thank god he likely considers himself above doing a show like this. I agree with your point about the athletes; of course some have fallen flat (Monica Seles and Clyde Drexler) but for the most part athletes on this show have done extremely well. I have little doubt Misty/Maks would have been in the final 3. It's doubtful she could come back as early as next season, but I hope in the fall, if she's able, they'll give her another chance. She's dropped plenty of hints in interviews that she wants to return and Maks said nothing would stop him from coming back with her. This season started off on a high note for me when I saw who was cast, but ended up falling flat. Unlike last season, where I had no one I really cared about, this season I had favorites. Unfortuantely they all went out early. I grew to love Warren and Cody, but without Warren this season would have been a complete dud to me. I wish they'd stick to the format used in earlier seasons. Considering it didn't make a huge ratings wave maybe they'll realize the direction they want wasn't a huge success. I wonder how they did in capturing the younger crowd.

I can't believe Tom lost the reality show host award at the Emmys this year. Probst has nothing on him except a huge ego. I always liked Samantha but after this season? Yeah, I get what everyone complains about. And I agree with your take on Jonathan; he's not my favorite but it'd be nice if he got someone good for a change. I didn't get why the finale was just one long recap of the season. The finales in the past were so much better.

I agree about the dancers in bold coming back next season. I have to believe that Maks and Alec will also be there.

I don't know why I didn't think of doing a google search for Charlotte. I hope she is enjoying her retirement. She would make a great teacher/trainer. She seems patient, nice, respectful and also extremely knowledgeable. If she's happy, that's fine with me. She gave me a lot of pleasure in the one season she was on.

I also noticed the absence of John O'Hurley. I do not recall seeing him return on any of the subsequent seasons. Maybe he had his dance-off win and that was okay with him.

I did notice that Tony appeared to be somewhat less enthusiastic than usual. I thought maybe it was frustration with Susan, but he is usually really patient and encouraging with his partners. I think he might need a break. It did Maks a world of good.

I am not looking forward to seeing Florence Henderson on this show. I just think she is way too old. I think there has to be a little bit of realism when picking celebrities. She must be at least in her seventies by now.

I am in complete agreement with you regarding Tom Bergeron. I don't watche Survivor, so I don't care about that guy. But for my money, I simply think there is nobody else that even comes close to Tom when it comes to hosting a live show. He can come up with brilliant one-liners at the drop of a hat. He always keeps his cool, no matter what insanity may occur( Yes, I am referring to Cloris and her antics).

Samantha HAS to go as far as I am concerned. When you see her standing next to someone like Tom Bergeron, it just highlights all her weaknesses, and they are considerable. The show could do much better.

I hope the show keeps the basic format. If they can concentrate on finding the right people to compete, then the rest will all fall into place. I sincerely hope that Misty May and Maks get a chance somewhere down the road to come back and try again. We were all robbed when they had to leave.

Any news 'leaks' out there on who might be on the show in the spring? I'm having withdrawl pains already.

Quote Originally Posted by stcroix;3243416;
    Any news 'leaks' out there on who might be on the show in the spring? I'm having withdrawl pains already.
    The only one I've heard is Al Sharpton...but I feel that rumor is far-fetched.
    Forever a Word Nerd

Quote Originally Posted by ness;3242608;
    Y'know, I remember watching Corky and Shirley YEARS ago on those PBS ballroom shows. Matter of fact, I actually recall two of their routines to this day (one set to a Michael Jackson "Thriller" tune with Corky done up in MJ drag, and a jive number set to a full-out, balls-to-the-wall rockabilly/country song).

They were outstanding. BEYOND outstanding, truth be told.

I too used to watch the ballroom championships way back when they were on my local PBS station. Shirley and Corky were my all time fave couple in the Latin division. They rocked the house down, which was why I was so frustrated with him getting stuck with Cloris.

He deserves to have a viable candidate for a partner, he is a brilliant dancer. Obviously, since Mark, Derek and Julianne all trained with the Ballas's.

Samantha HAS to go as far as I am concerned. When you see her standing next to someone like Tom Bergeron, it just highlights all her weaknesses, and they are considerable. The show could do much better.

Couldn't agree with you more. Like nails on a chalkboard.

I would love to see David Cassidy on the show! And if this is a wish list, then how about throwing in Bobby Sherman as well!!! Oh, just put 'em both on the show! OK, let me complete the fantasy and suggest Davy Jones too! Now that you know how old I am, I'll be quiet.

I think Samantha needs to stay-I think it is a "thumb your nose" performance that is also "tongue in cheek". I don't think she is trying to be an A-List performer, but an entertainer.

+ Reply to Thread