+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 111213141516171819202122 LastLast

Thread: 11/25 Finale Discussion **Spoilers**

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Re: 11/25 Finale Discussion **Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by Nativenewyorker;3242044;
    What I sincerely hope is that this show goes back to the basics that made it so much fun to watch. Let's stick with ballroom and forget about the silly group dances and above all, please bring back the truly great dance pros that have helped make the show a hit. I am talking about Maks, Alec, Louis, Jonathan, Edyta, Karina, Ashley and above all, the classiest one of all, Kym. I just think that she is like a ray of sunshine when she is on the dance floor.
    I know sometimes they try gimmicks and different ideas to keep things "fresh"; maybe it's good they get it out of their systems as a one time thing. Whether that's the networks idea, the producers, or both I don't know. If the big wigs of ABC want changes like we saw this season I'm not sure how much say the producers have if they don't want them. According to some pros, though, it sounds like that's the direction some insiders wants. I realized, when thinking of Louis and one of my other favorite older pros Nick Kosovich, they don't really have older female pros on this show. I think the oldest is Karina, and she's 30. One pro that I've missed and always hoped to see back, even if it's a results show performance, was 2nd runner up in seasn 1 Charlotte Jorgenson. That was a girl who was elegant, classy, sophisticated and she could move. I don't know if she just moved on or if the controversy over the winners that year made her bitter about ever returning. If they want to fill the older male pro role, hopefully it's not with Corky. I hope the ones you mentioned come back, plus a few more. I know they only have so many slots.

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by luvsginger;3242085;
    Wow, thanks Lois I didn't realize they weren't married. They have 3 kids together? Does anyone know what he does for a living? Is he an actor? Wasn't she the host of that show that was an AI copycat but with rockers?
    I hated the way Derek was smooching all over her, totally inappropriate in my book. Hugs are ok but he kept burying his head in her neck and looked like he wanted to give her a "hickey".
    David Charvet (fiance) used to be on "Baywatch." They have two young children together (a boy and a girl). Brooke also has two children with her exhusband (a plastic surgeon ). The two girls she hugged/kissed at the end of her performance were her two daughters with her exhusband. And you've got it right--Brooke was the hostess of "Rock Star" (first with INXS and then with Super Nova).

I thought it was adorable when Julianne tried to lift Brooke onto her shoulders. It was cute!
    Last edited by Lois Lane; 11-26-2008 at 10:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane;3242106;
    David Charvet (fiance) used to be on "Baywatch." They have two young children together (a boy and a girl). Brooke also has two children with her exhusband (a plastic surgeon ). The two girls she hugged/kissed at the end of her performance were her two daughters with her exhusband. And you've got it right--Brooke was the hostess of "Rock Star" (first with INXS and then with Super Nova).

I thought it was adorable when Julianne tried to lift Brooke onto her shoulders. It was cute!
    Yeah,that scene with her children was so sweet. And my husband and I were laughing so hard when Julianne tried to lift Brooke. That girl better be careful, or else she'll go back to the hospital for a hernia repair.LOl.

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fancygirl;3242128;
    And my husband and I were laughing so hard when Julianne tried to lift Brooke. That girl better be careful, or else she'll go back to the hospital for a hernia repair.LOl.
    Last season, it was so nice when Kristi won and the two runner ups carried her on their shoulders. It would've been nice if that happened with Brooke--or at least if the pro guy dancers would've done that BEFORE Mark hoisted Derek on his shoulders. I saw in one photo that both Derek and Brooke were each holding their own mirror balls. I didn't know that the pro dancers got one, too, but apparently they do.

Quote Originally Posted by karalott;3242091;
    I know sometimes they try gimmicks and different ideas to keep things "fresh"; maybe it's good they get it out of their systems as a one time thing. Whether that's the networks idea, the producers, or both I don't know. If the big wigs of ABC want changes like we saw this season I'm not sure how much say the producers have if they don't want them. According to some pros, though, it sounds like that's the direction some insiders wants. I realized, when thinking of Louis and one of my other favorite older pros Nick Kosovich, they don't really have older female pros on this show. I think the oldest is Karina, and she's 30. One pro that I've missed and always hoped to see back, even if it's a results show performance, was 2nd runner up in seasn 1 Charlotte Jorgenson. That was a girl who was elegant, classy, sophisticated and she could move. I don't know if she just moved on or if the controversy over the winners that year made her bitter about ever returning. If they want to fill the older male pro role, hopefully it's not with Corky. I hope the ones you mentioned come back, plus a few more. I know they only have so many slots.

You are either a mindreader or just plain brilliant! Today I happened to be thinking back on all the female dance pros and I remembered Charlotte. I absolutely loved her! I have always wondered why she never came back on the show. What a delight she was. Such a gracious, beautiful woman who had some of the greatest lines in her dancing. She and John were my personal favorite that season. I wanted them to win, but Alec and Kelly outdid them with their lifts and athletic ability in their freestyle. I remember so well all of the controversy. I know that Charlotte wasn't that young and I thought maybe that was the reason she wasn't brought back. But I shouldn't assume that it was necessarily the show's decision. Maybe it's true that she was unhappy about all the controversy.

You do make a telling point about Karina being the oldest at 30. They really are a young group. If that's the reason why Charlotte never came back, I would be so disappointed. I can picture her with the older male celebrities like George Hamilton.

It's amazing how you brought her up the very same day that I happened to be thinking about her.

I also think that there may well be a lot going on behind the scenes as far as the decision to change up the show. The ratings were very respectable for even a subpar season like this one. I guess they will do what they will do. I would hate to stop watching a show that has given me so much pleasure. I can take a few changes, but a makeover would not be a good thing. I would also prefer not to see Corky again. Also, please not another person who is way too old to compete. I know there were many who enjoyed Cloris, but I though at times she became a caricature. Even people in their 50's and 60's is pushing the limit with this type of competition.

I can't wait to see Maks again. Wouldn't it be something if he came back next season with Misty May? Wishful thinking on my part.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Quote Originally Posted by Nativenewyorker;3242147;
    You are either a mindreader or just plain brilliant! Today I happened to be thinking back on all the female dance pros and I remembered Charlotte. I absolutely loved her! I have always wondered why she never came back on the show. What a delight she was. Such a gracious, beautiful woman who had some of the greatest lines in her dancing. She and John were my personal favorite that season. I wanted them to win, but Alec and Kelly outdid them with their lifts and athletic ability in their freestyle. I remember so well all of the controversy. I know that Charlotte wasn't that young and I thought maybe that was the reason she wasn't brought back. But I shouldn't assume that it was necessarily the show's decision. Maybe it's true that she was unhappy about all the controversy.

You do make a telling point about Karina being the oldest at 30. They really are a young group. If that's the reason why Charlotte never came back, I would be so disappointed. I can picture her with the older male celebrities like George Hamilton.

It's amazing how you brought her up the very same day that I happened to be thinking about her.

I also think that there may well be a lot going on behind the scenes as far as the decision to change up the show. The ratings were very respectable for even a subpar season like this one. I guess they will do what they will do. I would hate to stop watching a show that has given me so much pleasure. I can take a few changes, but a makeover would not be a good thing. I would also prefer not to see Corky again. Also, please not another person who is way too old to compete. I know there were many who enjoyed Cloris, but I though at times she became a caricature. Even people in their 50's and 60's is pushing the limit with this type of competition.

I can't wait to see Maks again. Wouldn't it be something if he came back next season with Misty May? Wishful thinking on my part.
    Yay, another Charlotte fan! When I think ballroom, she was the very definition. Season 1 is definitely an example of a good freestyle probably determining the winner. While my personal favorites were Joey/Ashly, I didn't have an issue with Kelly/Alec winning. While I think John/Charlotte were the better dancers, watching some of Kelly/Alec's routines I think they were more fun and upbeat, even if her dancing was a mess. I never really noticed until replaying their clips. And I have to give Kelly kudos for the samba when her top almost came off but she kept going. However, Charlotte ran circles around everyone then and I think she still would. I always think back to certain pros from the early seasons, and those who may have been one timers that we'll likely never see again. I've mentioned before I liked Andrea Hale from season 2, out first with Kenny Mayne but I really wish she had lasted longer or been brought back again. There was a male pro during season 3 who was paired with Shanna that I really liked, and of cource Nick and Ashly. Since it's been so long since we've seen any of them and none were ever brought back for results show, minus Ashly, I'm doubtful I'll ever get my wish.

Ratings were down 4 million viewers from season 5's finale, which aired this same time last year. Overall, they did seem pretty consistant, and even went up a little. However, it seems many scripted shows haven't done well and I'm sure that factored into DWTS ratings doing well. The more I think about Corky, the more the guy revolts me. With Cloris I think he got away with his dirty old man and "comical" routines, but with a younger female celeb I don't think that would go over. He'd probably be the first pro clocked by his partner That was just an depressing, and he's not the first nor last pro to be paired with someone with zero dancing ability. Perhaps not as OTT as Cloris, but he could have made due with it. I'm with you that I'd rather them get people who have some dancing ability (but not outright ringers) or at least with attempt to try. I respect people like Kathy Griffin, when asked if she'd ever do the show, saying she can't dance so why would she take that slot away from someone else? I just hope I get the show I love back next season. I don't see what was so stale about it. JMO.
    Last edited by karalott; 11-27-2008 at 01:19 AM.

FORT Regular

Congrats to Brooke and Derek. They did it difficult traditional dances that were also entertaining and I still cannot believe she never danced before. These two deserved it.

Corky is the one I want gone. Mark not even congratulating Brooke was distasteful and Julianne is the one who pointed out to Corky they should lift Brooke up along with Derek. Derek did not hog the trophy and while I think he is annoying, that is unfair criticism there. I mean, he gave her the trophy after she was balanced. He is talented but young and with maturity, he'll be fine.

Since the show's ratings seem consistent, can they stop with all these stupid changes. I hated the two dances in week 1.

Quote Originally Posted by karalott;3242164;
    Yay, another Charlotte fan! When I think ballroom, she was the very definition. Season 1 is definitely an example of a good freestyle probably determining the winner. While my personal favorites were Joey/Ashly, I didn't have an issue with Kelly/Alec winning. While I think John/Charlotte were the better dancers, watching some of Kelly/Alec's routines I think they were more fun and upbeat, even if her dancing was a mess. I never really noticed until replaying their clips. And I have to give Kelly kudos for the samba when her top almost came off but she kept going. However, Charlotte ran circles around everyone then and I think she still would. I always think back to certain pros from the early seasons, and those who may have been one timers that we'll likely never see again. I've mentioned before I liked Andrea Hale from season 2, out first with Kenny Mayne but I really wish she had lasted longer or been brought back again. There was a male pro during season 3 who was paired with Shanna that I really liked, and of cource Nick and Ashly. Since it's been so long since we've seen any of them and none were ever brought back for results show, minus Ashly, I'm doubtful I'll ever get my wish.

Ratings were down 4 million viewers from season 5's finale, which aired this same time last year. Overall, they did seem pretty consistant, and even went up a little. However, it seems many scripted shows haven't done well and I'm sure that factored into DWTS ratings doing well. The more I think about Corky, the more the guy revolts me. With Cloris I think he got away with his dirty old man and "comical" routines, but with a younger female celeb I don't think that would go over. He'd probably be the first pro clocked by his partner That was just an depressing, and he's not the first nor last pro to be paired with someone with zero dancing ability. Perhaps not as OTT as Cloris, but he could have made due with it. I'm with you that I'd rather them get people who have some dancing ability (but not outright ringers) or at least with attempt to try. I respect people like Kathy Griffin, when asked if she'd ever do the show, saying she can't dance so why would she take that slot away from someone else? I just hope I get the show I love back next season. I don't see what was so stale about it. JMO.
    This is too funny! You are just one step ahead of me every time. I was going to post the ratings for the finale this season and the highest rating for season 5, which was about 4 million more viewers. Of course, with Jennie Garth, Mel B., Helio and even Jane Seymour, as well as Sabrina who got voted out way too early, it would only seem natural that the ratings were so high. Considering the fact that this season was pretty mediocre, but had a decent finish, I think the 20.6 million is quite good. They won their time slot, so ABC should be happy for November sweeps. A lot of scripted shows are not doing well after the writers strike. I really think there is no reason for any panic or major makeover for this show. If Misty May and Maks stayed in it, I think it might have been a truly outstanding semifinal and final. But as it is, it turned out pretty good.

I definitely agree that there should not be any ringers. I also didn't want to seem biased against older dancers, especially since I am middle aged myself. I don't mind if they want to include one or two dancers in their 50's or 60's. People in their forties have been pretty competitive, too. But if you look at the ones who have won, they have all been young. I don't buy the argument that if you have had any dance training, then you have an innate advantage. Since ballroom dancing is so unique in its moves and steps and so incredibly demanding, I don't think having ballet or tap or even dancing in a group gives the celebrity a real advantage. I think the athletes have been the ones who have had the true advantage, due to their superior conditioning and athletic ability and competitiveness. Even though they haven't danced before, they have done really well on the show.

I guess sometimes it's a bit of rolling the dice when they pick the celebrities. Some people that you would never think could dance at all, end up being really great.

I am hoping that there will be a space for Ashley next season. I sure hope we get to see more of Maxs. I say they stick with the regular pros. There are a few who have been gone a while and it would sure be nice to see them again.

I am really glad that there is someone else who remembers Charlotte. I think about her a lot and wonder where she is and what she is doing. I vaguely remember some of the others you mentioned. You have a very good memory.

Corky seems like a great dancer, but the faces he made & all that crap with Cloris was sooo irritating.

Maybe he won't be as bad (if he comes back next season at all) if he, (A) Comes back with a younger, good dancer, or (B) Watches re-runs of himself!

I do hope that Lacey comes back next season, she really did make me like her towards the end of the show. I didn't like her at all at the beginning, but then she stopped being so rude/ignorant/weird, and I liked her.

Quote Originally Posted by TV_Junkie;3242413;
    Corky seems like a great dancer, but the faces he made & all that crap with Cloris was sooo irritating.

Maybe he won't be as bad (if he comes back next season at all) if he, (A) Comes back with a younger, good dancer, or (B) Watches re-runs of himself!
    Y'know, I remember watching Corky and Shirley YEARS ago on those PBS ballroom shows. Matter of fact, I actually recall two of their routines to this day (one set to a Michael Jackson "Thriller" tune with Corky done up in MJ drag, and a jive number set to a full-out, balls-to-the-wall rockabilly/country song).

They were outstanding. BEYOND outstanding, truth be told.

As long ago as that was, I DON'T recall Corky back then mugging and doing all that over-the-top, theatrical stuff he did with Cloris during this season of DWTS. He didn't HAVE to because Shirley was his partner and she was a dancing match for him. Sure, he had to do SOME dramatic body stuff, etc., but all that facial junk he did this year, the way, WAY exaggerated body moves and positions for comedy's sake, etc., no, I don't recall him doing all that trash back then.

Honestly, I think in order to ride things out until he could be voted off --- and being well aware that Cloris was probably old enough to be his mother and trying to respect that, as well as factor in her physical limitations and dancing inability in general --- he felt he had to put SOMETHING together, ANYTHING, to go out on the floor.

So, he probably opted for the "If y'can't beat 'em, JOIN 'em!" path of least resistance.

I bet if he does comes back next year and gets an even semi-worthy dancing partner, we might not see all the crap we did from him that we did this year.

We'll see.

And yep, I'll also bet that he HAS already watched reruns of himself with Cloris and most likely was trying to find a way to crawl under the carpet in shame at what he felt he had to do!
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

+ Reply to Thread