+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 10111213141516171819202122 LastLast

Thread: 11/25 Finale Discussion **Spoilers**

Re: 11/25 Finale Discussion **Spoilers**

I adore the "wonder triplets", so I was glad to see Derek/Brooke take the well deserved title. This show is "Dancing" with the stars, hence the show is about dancing. Brooke was the most talented dancer of the remaining 3, and due to her natural talent Derek was able to have more difficult moves throughout all of their dances. Things he could never have done with Jenny or Shannon.

While I love Warren, the content in his dances was subpar in contrast to Brooke's. Warren is a great entertainer, but he is not a good dancer. I thought Lance deserved second place, but his freestyle lost it for them, IMHO.

I will miss Julianne, but hopefully Derek and Mark will be back. I think Derek is a major goofball, and I don't see him as smug or conceited at all. He's more like the class clown mugging for the camera.

What I wish is that they could dump Samantha next season and get a decent co-host in like Drew, who actually asked logical questions of the dancers when they came off the dance floor.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

I just hope Mark and Corky follow suit. Corky I'm not sure what over as well with the crowd as his son and former students but I'm betting the show will give him another chance. I still don't think he'll catch on with the fans however. Seriously, I may really consider spending my Monday and Tuesday's doing something else if Mark comes back next season and gets the ringer whose got the biggest fan base and who will have the judges kissing her ass before the competition begins. I wonder how it makes the others feel when the judges say 'this is the right final 3', 'Warren you're the people's champion not the judges', 'Brooke you've earned the trophy'. That's kind of a slap in the face to the other pairs, and a slap in the face to Warren. How Derek and company reacted to the win was poor. I understand he was excited but don't forget Brooke. I noticed it didn't seem to be the big celebration at the end. I think they cut away too soon because they run out of time, but not the overexcitement previous victories and finales had.
    Last edited by karalott; 11-26-2008 at 07:14 PM.

I see Derek as someone with Cody's maturity, but with a dance backgrund and choreographic talent. Once he grows up he'll be fine. He I think Derek needs to be paired with someone with a stronger personality. Someone who will get him to quickly figure out that it is not about him. Can you see Mel B. taking his garbage? Bring on Queen Latifa next season and give her to Derek.

You know today I watched them on GMA and The View (gads had to hold my nose but got through it because I wanted to see the DWTS winners dance) and on both shows they referred to Brooke's "husband" and she did not correct them or even look fazed by it so makes you wonder if he really is her husband. I hope so, her not being married to him after two babies didn't sit well with moi. Wasn't he the guy on Baywatch? She looks older than him. Not old mind you but just older than him. She's a lovely woman and I think on merit she deserved the MBT. Some of ya'll need to realize that while she wasn't your fave she was certainly deserving.

Quote Originally Posted by DancingDad;3241921;
    I see Derek as someone with Cody's maturity, but with a dance backgrund and choreographic talent. Once he grows up he'll be fine. He I think Derek needs to be paired with someone with a stronger personality. Someone who will get him to quickly figure out that it is not about him. Can you see Mel B. taking his garbage? Bring on Queen Latifa next season and give her to Derek.
    Oh, my GOD, Dad . . .

YOU HIT THE NAIL ON THE HEAD!

My thoughts are that the finale ended as it should have.

Yep, Brooke was technically the best dancer ALL SEASON LONG. She (and Derek) really put some great stuff out there, and they deserve to be noticed and honored for that.

However, that didn't prevent me from falling in love with Warren, and beginning to like Kym even more than I already did, which is totally saying something. By the time the shouting was just about over, yep, I was pulling for those two to win.

But they didn't, Brooke and Derek DID --- and they DESERVED it, due to technicality, consistency, difficulty and beauty --- so I'm STILL a happy camper!

Now, please excuse me while I go prepare for DWTS coming up in the spring!

"In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

I'm very thrilled with this win. This makes every season that I have voted for the winner.

I will say that I realize why people were bored with Brooke, but I never was. I think Derek really wanted the win and gave her very difficult choreography. Louis Van Amstel (Sp) always does that to his dancers too. It makes it difficult to put their personality into it as they must concentrate harder on the dance. I think it's also because of being judged. I saw Brooke and Derek dance on Ellen a couple of weeks ago and her personality shown through much better than when she's being judged. She really enjoyed the dancing & it showed. I think had she not been given as difficult of choreography as she was given she might have been able to relax a bit and enjoy it more. Even though she could do the moves it really takes some of the fun away. That's something that Cheryl, Kym and Julianne are really very good at, showcasing their stars. Even though they sometimes dance around the stars.

I adored Brooke and Derek's free-style. Kym and Warren's was good. I thought Lance and Lacey's fell short. I would have like to have seen Toni and Alec's free-style had they made it that far. I would have been ok with Warren and Kym winning but was hoping (and voting) for a Brooke win.

Quote Originally Posted by martythyme;3241851;
    I think it was more of a beauty contest at the end. Brooke is gorgeous no doubt and maybe that's what swayed the judges to vote for Brooke and Derek
    The cause of my doubt on this is based on several things:

1.) She'd been getting high marks all season, so claims that she was overmarked at the end because of how she looks don't hold that much weight. Some might claim she was always being overmarked, from the beginning, because of her looks, but the fate and scores of other beautiful female constants on this show don't bear that out as a trend. Paulina Porizkova, for example, would probably still be regarded as even more beautiful than Brooke, but she didn't get any kind of magic scoring break.

2.) Carrie Ann should balance any such tendency a bit, at least in theory. And well... Bruno. Who's openly gay. Unless the idea is that he was voting for Derek's beauty instead of Brooke's.

3.) Popular appeal (aka "you're an entertainer") seems to be the X-Factor swaying judge votes outside a real analysis of skills. So that would help Warren more than Brooke.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

I have just a few more thoughts.

I wanted to clarify that L/L could very well have finished second. I do think that Lance was the second best dancer after Brooke. But I think their lackluster freestyle cost them second place. Warren and Kym did the better job with sheer entertainment, "wow" and fun. So I think that gave them second place.

I did like Lance and Lacey and I was pulling for them to pull off an upset win, but that was gone as soon as I saw their freestyle. I think Lance improved a lot and gained some real confidence. He got the monkey off his back as far as not being able to dance. The two of them made risky and controversial choices all season long, but the freestyle was too conventional. I still think Lacey should have put aside her obvious crush on Lance and stood her ground regarding the inclusion of lifts in their freestyle. I don't think they could have topped what Brooke and Derek did, but at least they would have done themselves proud. They were just capable of so much more.

I also noticed that Julianne tried to hoist Brooke up in the air all by herself. Good for her! At least she wanted to give credit to the person who actually learned to dance and do it well. I think Brooke ultimately deserved the win. It would have been nice if I could have had a connection with her, but that's how it goes. I still do not like the judges being so darned biased. The way they praised Brooke, you would think she had invented gravity.

What I sincerely hope is that this show goes back to the basics that made it so much fun to watch. Let's stick with ballroom and forget about the silly group dances and above all, please bring back the truly great dance pros that have helped make the show a hit. I am talking about Maks, Alec, Louis, Jonathan, Edyta, Karina, Ashley and above all, the classiest one of all, Kym. I just think that she is like a ray of sunshine when she is on the dance floor.

In my own little corner, in my own little chair...

Quote Originally Posted by fluff;3241802;
    I don't think they deserved 7's for the dance that Brooke screwed up the other week. She was all over the place.
    If you're left with the feeling that "If anyone else had danced like that they'd have got 5's" then you feel the judges aren't being entirely fair.
    Considering some of the dances that Cloris did that never got as low as 5's, I'd say that it wasn't likely that Brooke would score that low. Her worst was better than anything Cloris did. IMO, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane;3241758;
    ginger, it's her fiance and I noticed, too. When they showed the shot of him crying and his chin quivering--'cause he was so happy for her--I felt kinda bad for him.

I actually am not that comfortable with all the hugging/kissing between any of the stars and the pro dancers. Almost all of them are married/in relationships and the women are half naked and I don't know... PRUDE! I know. Totally, I am. I think it's Ok to be happy and congratulatory without all that touching/pawing.

I don't think that Brooke sparkles, but she was the best dancer and I'm glad she won. Lance had a shot but the freestyle hip hop dance just wasn't up to par. Didn't Apolo and Julianne also do a hip hop routine for their freestyle? That routine was AWESOME!
    Wow, thanks Lois I didn't realize they weren't married. They have 3 kids together? Does anyone know what he does for a living? Is he an actor? Wasn't she the host of that show that was an AI copycat but with rockers?
    I hated the way Derek was smooching all over her, totally inappropriate in my book. Hugs are ok but he kept burying his head in her neck and looked like he wanted to give her a "hickey".

+ Reply to Thread