+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: 11/10 & 11/11 Show Discussion**Spoilers**

Re: 11/10 Show Discussion**Spoilers**

Quote Originally Posted by cape;3232641;
    Lance does a blog and he said in it that he hopes Cody leaves tonight and Maurice next week putting him in the top 3 with Brooke and Maurice. That seems rather rude and arrogant to me to say that he hopes Cody leaves tonight. So it is my hope that Lance and his arrogant butt get the boot tonight!
    Lance is an idiot. As if he dances that well , he doesn't. Hope he is eliminated next week. I hate arrogant people!
    Last edited by graycat11; 11-12-2008 at 11:08 AM.

Re: 11/10 & 11/11 Show Discussion**Spoilers**

Expected that Maurice was going to be eliminated last night, so no surprise there. I loved when he brought his little girl on the dance floor with him at the end. I've loved Warren since the beginning. This show is about entertainment and he definitely does that. He's definitely got the Emmitt Smith charisma going on. While I do agree that Brooke is the most technically correct, unfortunately no passion, enthusiasm or excitement comes across to me when she dances. Lance did better this week but, as I've been saying from the start, I think having Lacey as a partner has detracted for me. I think if he'd been partnered with someone else, he would stand a much better chance. I give a lot of plaudits to Cody as he really pushes himself and really enjoys being on the dance floor. Glad to see he will be back. On another note, I enjoyed both the brother/sister dances. As they are all professionals, I didn't feel they were 'creepy' in the least. This was the first time I watched a results show through to its entirety, so that says a lot about last night's show for me.

Regarding Brooke's apparent lack of passion or enjoyment, she had both those elements in the first few weeks, but they are gone recently. Their big "fight" might have something to do with it, as well as the recent dance selection (serious), but I think the judge's comment about her being almost like a professional has put too much pressure on her.

FORT Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by RickiRick;3233185;
    Regarding Brooke's apparent lack of passion or enjoyment, she had both those elements in the first few weeks, but they are gone recently. Their big "fight" might have something to do with it, as well as the recent dance selection (serious), but I think the judge's comment about her being almost like a professional has put too much pressure on her.
    I noticed this, too, and was wondering the same thing.

I made a point to watch the recap last night before the results show. It was interesting to see it after the fact. A few things caught my eye.

First, I did notice that Lacey doesn't get the positions that Edyta does in the foxtrot. I really concentrated on Lacey this time. Since I have never watched SYTYCD and didn't know who she was, I wanted to take a closer look at her. She didn't have the same lines and elegance. Maybe there is a difference in her level of ballroom dance training.

I also wanted to watch Lance's footwork in the samba. Len's criticism of him being pigeon-toed made me curious. I looked at it as carefully as possible and while there may have been a slight turning in at one or two points, I can honestly say that I really didn't see what Len was talking about. That's no surprise, since Len himself admitted that he didn't like these two in that segment where the judges gave their little summary observations. Lance's footwork was sloppy, but it was nothing compared to Warren's jive. I love Warren, but that jive was not good. I know that Kym did everything to try to hide Warren's weaknesses, but he did not do anything close to the real jive steps. With him it may not matter, because he is so infectiously fun to watch.

I dislike Len's obvious bias. He does this every single season. While he may be the most knowledgeable about ballroom dancing, his inability to conceal his personal likes and dislikes, really spoils it for me. I thought Lance's solo dancing, while not traditional samba, was really good. This guy is a natural dancer. Although he and Lacey do have great chemistry, I wonder if he would have been better served with one of the regular dance pros, like Ashely Delgrosso.

As far as the issue of whether to bring on dancers from shows like SYTYCD, I don't know that it's such a good idea. I like the talent pool they have. Also, many of the pros have built up big fan bases in their own right. I understand the show's desire to improve in the younger demographic, but they may lose the essence of what made it great in the process. All this show needs is great competition. When there is some real suspense about the outcome, when they seem to be evenly matched, when there is overall a high level of dancing, then this show cooks. That's the secret, not the special dances like the wcs, hustle, jitterbug. I don't think any of the new things they tried have particularly enhanced the show for me.

It's an interesting thought as to whether Brooke's dancing changed after her fight with Derek. Maybe Derek really went too far in his desire to make her a better dancer. The fun really seems to be gone with them. If that's the case, then it's too bad. I think it will be Warren and Brooke in the final two. I would not be surprised to see Warren win it all. He is a lot like Emmitt, so it's possible. Warren has really connected with the audience and that's a powerful thing to have on this show.

Cody has done better than I expected, but I will be surprised if he beats out Lance and Lacey for the final three.

If the show goes the same way it went last year, and they make it to the finals, the couples get to reprise their best dance and then do a freestyle. I hope this happens with Brooke & Derek, because I hink they could really shine in that format. I do think that Brooke deserves to win this year. She has come an incredible distance to even be compared (by the judges) to the professional dancers.

Len doesn't like Lacey and Lance, every single week, he finds something to nitpik about them. He loves Brooke.

I love Bruno and his facial expressions while Brooke was moving her hips, he has a good sense of humor, fun.

Choreography is predetermined precise moves set to music. This is not dancing. Choreography needs life, emotion and performance ability breathed into it, before it becomes dance. Derek is making their routines too hard and putting so much pressure on Brooke that she is only able to do the choreography he rams down her throat. He needs to back off and let her natural abilities shine.

I was furious when Emmit won his season. Warren is a better dancer and performer and way more appealing than Emmit. While his size should be his greatest obsticle, his dedication is. Each time he has underperformed it is due to a lack of sufficient practice. This is my only beef with him. I hate when a "star" signs on and "can't" put in the required amount of time to do their best.

Len doesn't like Lacey because he knows she isn't qualified to call herself a professional ballroom dancer. That's only one of the reasons I don't like her. I don't get why Lance would have come on this show in the first place when he knew he had no natural abilities. Len doesn't like Lance, because he isn't a good dancer and has openly mocked Len and ballroom dancing in general.

Cody/Julianne are better than Lance/Lacey and will hopefully outlast them.

FORT Fanatic

When I watched the recap of the solos, it really struck me that Brooke's solo was essentially a cheat. I doubt that she could have done it if she weren't holding onto the judge's table, just like a ballet barre, as someone else pointed out.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Quote Originally Posted by Nativenewyorker;3233245;
    As far as the issue of whether to bring on dancers from shows like SYTYCD, I don't know that it's such a good idea. I like the talent pool they have. Also, many of the pros have built up big fan bases in their own right. I understand the show's desire to improve in the younger demographic, but they may lose the essence of what made it great in the process. All this show needs is great competition. When there is some real suspense about the outcome, when they seem to be evenly matched, when there is overall a high level of dancing, then this show cooks. That's the secret, not the special dances like the wcs, hustle, jitterbug. I don't think any of the new things they tried have particularly enhanced the show for me.
    Exactly what I think. If they want to bring in younger viewers, there's other ways to do that than bring over imports from other dance shows (unless these are imports from international DWTS-I think Kym originally was on the Australian version). Personally, I think it's a slap in the face to pros who've been on the show all these seasons, or who've been wanting to come back, only to get replaced and basically be told they aren't young and hip enough for the younger viewers. I do worry a little, for that very reason, that they might start weeding out some of the regulars pros in favor of new faces. I think that would backfire, as the pros are as popular as the stars. Several of the pros didn't seem like they enjoyed themselves this season. I think it was a lot of extra work, not to mention the mounting injuries. DWTS does fine in the ratings, so why it needs stunt casting, gimmicks, and anything away from traditional ballroom and what the show started as I don't know. If the Jonas Brothers or having Disney stars, no matter how unknown they are, doesn't get the tweens tuning in I don't think anything will. Unless they start getting people in the younger age bracket that that demo knows of. Minus the Dr. Drew part last night, I loved the results show, just like last week. That's the DWTS I want. I've even enjoyed the last few performance shows (again, minus the addition of the group and solo performance).

It's an interesting thought as to whether Brooke's dancing changed after her fight with Derek. Maybe Derek really went too far in his desire to make her a better dancer. The fun really seems to be gone with them. If that's the case, then it's too bad. I think it will be Warren and Brooke in the final two. I would not be surprised to see Warren win it all. He is a lot like Emmitt, so it's possible. Warren has really connected with the audience and that's a powerful thing to have on this show.
    My issue with Brooke/Derek is the same I have with Lance/Lacey (or at least one issue with them)-something's missing. I don't feel there's any real chemistry with any pair. The whole rebel act (and not a very good one) with L/L, comparing Brooke as good as a pro and the obvious bias with the judges. Brooke doesn't seem the same as she did at the beginning of the season. Juggling this show and motherhood may be taking it's toll, as it did with Jennie Garth. It does make me wonder how much different Lance would have been with a different partner. In terms of Cody, sadly I predict him gone next week. Warren for me is no Emmitt; between the two I prefer Emmitt and came into this season hating on Sapp, but he's won me over completely. I'm so happy for Kym, too. His jive sucked, they were overscored, but if personality wins again this season, he's got it in the bag. He's the only interesting and fun one left, and unlike Lance, Brooke, or Cody some of his dances are more memorable.

+ Reply to Thread