+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 10/28 Show Discussion **spoilers**

Dancing along the border of turbulence and order

Re: 10/28 Show Discussion **spoilers**

YAY!!!! Cloris is finally gone!
    Go to www.freerice.com to improve your vocabulary and feed the world!

Let me join in the celebration. whoooohooo!

I can't believe that they would put Susan in that position again, if she wasn't in the bottom two. It's very upsetting for that couple.

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Quote Originally Posted by dberk;3224902;
    Let me join in the celebration. whoooohooo!

I can't believe that they would put Susan in that position again, if she wasn't in the bottom two. It's very upsetting for that couple.
    I don't think I mind them not doing an official bottom 2; on the one hand, it can't get an overzealous fan base voting for their favorite if they don't know where they stand. On the other hand, if they weren't really in the bottom 2 but the fan base thinks they're in danger they'll vote for them like crazy, whether they deserve it or not. Of course one might vote like crazy even if their favorite wasn't in the bottom 2. Since Lucci is an ABC soap legend they may be trying to get people behind her so she lasts. But I'm thinking she's next to go.

Premium Member

Can I say again Thank You that Cloris is gone . You get the point

CLORIS IS GONE!!

Likes Scottish Vikings! talldede's Avatar

Hip Hip Hooray, Cloris is gone. And, I'm excited to see Cody and Edyta next week.

FINALLY!!
    (and don't tell me Corky wasn't relieved as hell!)

Now we can get back to watching ....mmm...what do they call it? oh yeah....DANCING!!!!
    There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats. A. Schweitzer

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by ness;3224862;
    What it means is that Susan is so afraid, so timid that she can't allow herself to loosen up and DANCE.

Some people just do not have musicality. You can want it, you can try for it, but if it is not there, it will not come. I teach dance, and trust me I have parents who bring kids in, and want me to make dancers out of them, and if the natural rhythm is not there, it will not happen. This is why this show is going downhill for me. If you watch the first season, which I have on tape, they are all pretty much on the same level. They had ups and downs all across the board. Now the show seems to have ringers and dancers each season competing against drama getters. I really think this show is going to end if they do not stop the publicity stunts, and stop trying to stack the deck with dancers. I can assume they try these people out first so they know what is coming.

Lacey is adorable!!! She did great tonight. Just now watching tape. Actually all the guest dancers looked pretty bad, lol even Brooke and Warren. Cody and Maurice did pretty well though.

Quote Originally Posted by MHcarrollton;3224962;
    Some people just do not have musicality. You can want it, you can try for it, but if it is not there, it will not come. I teach dance, and trust me I have parents who bring kids in, and want me to make dancers out of them, and if the natural rhythm is not there, it will not happen. This is why this show is going downhill for me. If you watch the first season, which I have on tape, they are all pretty much on the same level. They had ups and downs all across the board. Now the show seems to have ringers and dancers each season competing against drama getters. I really think this show is going to end if they do not stop the publicity stunts, and stop trying to stack the deck with dancers. I can assume they try these people out first so they know what is coming.
    Oh, yeah . . .

I'm not a professional dancer or dance teacher and never have claimed to be. But I absolutely agree with you that some people just do not have musicality enough to be able to dance. For example, a couple of my own family members play the hell out of the sax and trombone, but, put 'em on a dance floor, and people run away from them screaming, with good reason.

It's pretty clear that Susan will never win any dancing awards. But my post was written to express the always-present vibe I personally get off her that she is ALWAYS afraid when she steps out to perform, ALWAYS tight as a drum, no matter how hard she tries (and maybe she's trying TOO hard to be perfect at this). And yep, to me, musicality or no, that hinders the hell out of her.

Right off the top of my head, I recall Penn Jillette (sp?). The man could not dance to save his soul, OK (no musicality, or whatever you want to call it)? But, when he took the floor, he was loose as a moose (or a bull in a china shop, take your pick) and always seemed to go flat-out, full-bore for whatever it was Kym asked him to do (given his dancing limitations). He always seemed to be enjoying himself, poor dancing skills be damned. And as a result, I always enjoyed seeing him for the time he was on the show, because I know he was enjoying the hell out of himself and not at all worried about whether or not he came across as a fool, or whatever.

No, Penn won't ever win any dancing awards, either, but I didn't perceive him as getting in his own way by being afraid.

I DO, however, perceive Susan in that light. Perhaps her age (coupled with her basic lack of dancing musicality, or whatever) are not allowing her to free herself up mentally in order to try to move more loosely, or in a more relaxed way, on the floor.

All I know is, for me, she always kind of looks like she's in mental and physical pain --- because of holding herself, her body, in so very tightly because of her fear of not getting it right or looking like a fool, I guess --- when she dances, and that's what makes her hard to watch, for me. Susan always seems to get in her own way and put herself into a box. She really seldom loosens up and looks like she enjoys what she's doing, from what I can see.

Last edited by ness; 10-29-2008 at 08:41 AM.
    "In a world of pollution, profanity, adolescence, broccoli, zits, ozone depletion, racism, sexism, stupid guys and PMS, why the hell do people still tell me to have a nice day?" - Unknown

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast