+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Cloris Leachman - Season 7

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Re: Cloris Leachman - Season 7

Here's a couple of interviews about Cloris on DWTS:

The Women Stars Talk Madge, Politics & the Mambo - E! Online (This is the only blurb about DWTS in this interview):

Dancing With the Stars: God bless Cloris Leachman! As the oldest contestant ever on DWTS, she's got some hurdles to overcome. "I take pills for asthma and high blood pressure," says Leachman, who plays a housekeeper in The Women. "I have very bad osteoporosis."

Even so, she's having a great time with dancing partner Corky Ballas. "I've learned the fox-trot and now I'm working on the mambo," Leachman says with a smile. "But every time we start shaking, I just start laughing. I mean, I just laugh helplessly."

Bening has high hopes for Leachman. "She's got a body on her," Bening coos. "She should win."
    And one from Extra ExtraTV.com | Cloris Leachman Rejected Twice for 'DWTS!':

Cloris Leachman Rejected Twice for 'DWTS!'
    Posted by ExtraTV Staff on September 5, 2008 9:59 AM

Film and TV legend Cloris Leachman tells "Extra" she was twice rejected by "Dancing with the Stars" before landing a spot on this season's show!

"I wanted to do it, so my people asked their people to do it, and they said, 'No, too old'... few months later, we went back again and no... few months went by and this time they set up a meeting and we had a long, very good meeting and fell in love with each other," she explained.

Despite being the oldest contestant to ever compete on the hit show, Leachman isn't shying away from backstage romance! She says, "I keep asking my partner [Corky Ballas], 'So you're not attracted to me? Is it because I'm 82? I'm too old? Or because I'm not your type, or I'm not sexy?'" When asked who has caught her eye, Leachman declares, "His son [Mark Ballas]. They have the same name. They look alike. They're both wonderful dancers."

As for wearing one of those sexy dance outfits, Leachman comments, "I won't be in those skimpy costumes."

Organizing my sock drawer RBmumsie's Avatar

Cloris is wonderful! With bad osteoporosis, the risk of breaking a hip is definitely there, but she'll go down swinging. I predict she'll be terrific at the foxtrot.

I was just wondering - the people (like me) who think Cloris is going to rock and are unmoved by her age vs. the people who seem to automatically think she's a doddering ancient that will break her hip during the first dance. Is this perhaps influenced our OWN various ages? I'll admit to being 53, what about the rest of you?
    Well-Behaved Women Seldom Make History...Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

In my own little corner, in my own little chair...

51 and I think she'll do fine.

I guess my bigger concern with Cloris is, because of her age, she might get a free pass from the judges that someone younger than her might not. I know it doesn't happen that often, but it's still something I hope they're fair about. I don't expect her to have the dancing ability of someone younger, meaning I know there are things she probably physically can't do and shouldn't do. I have no doubt that Corky can come up with some dance moves that'll fit her.
    Last edited by karalott; 09-06-2008 at 07:57 PM.

but if her dancing is graceful and entertaining, I hope they grade her on that. Just because the younger one may be more athletic, doesn't mean they have more dancing ability. She may just have to approach it from a different view. Sometimes extreme physicality isn't better dancing.

Quote Originally Posted by schmoo2;3191453;
    but if her dancing is graceful and entertaining, I hope they grade her on that. Just because the younger one may be more athletic, doesn't mean they have more dancing ability. She may just have to approach it from a different view. Sometimes extreme physicality isn't better dancing.
    I agree, and I know the judges have criticized couples in the past for doing too much in their routines. If Cloris gives enough for the dance, then I'd expect the judges to rank her highly if they think she fit the requirement of the dance and didn't make any mistakes, just like I'd expect them to do the same for anyone of any age. I know in the past there have been stars that couldn't get spun around or bend like someone younger than them, but still gave a great performance.

and I agree with you. she should not get special consideration for her age. Just the amount of talent she brings to a performance, just like anyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by weary;3190593;
    Oh, and there's a lady in our community who was born in 1901--- she could still do the splits up to the age of 90. She just started using a cane occasionally since she broke her hip last year, but she recovered from that almost completely and still walks quickly and firmly. There are often stories about her in the local newspapers, because everybody would like to think that they could be like her.

So I hope Cloris Leachman will provide similar inspiration.
    Just goes to show that age is just a number not a limitation on what you can do

FORT Regular

hmm i am looking forward to see her on the show. she reminds me of a lot of jane seymour.

I saw her in The Women today and she was hilarious in her role. Hopefully, that sense of humor will come out on this show.
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

+ Reply to Thread