+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Cloris Leachman - Season 7

Re: Cloris Leachman - Season 7

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel;3187699;
    To quote Lost's John Locke, "Don't tell me what I can't do." I whole-heartedly believe in personal choice.
    I don't think there's been any suggestion that people are going to take the streets in protest of "the old lady" getting one of the coveted "Dancing With The Stars" spots. No one is denying her right to choose to risk herself--as if she was some child we had to safeguard.

It seems more like people are observing that this was stunt casting, hoping that the show scores fairly instead of on a "curve" because "oh, its so amazing that you can do that Cloris", and are making some observations that the risks to her are probably very real. I don't really see how these observations are the monumental disrespect to her that's being implied. They aren't. If we were talking about an 82 year old going on "The Biggest Loser" being somewhat at risk, would that be disrespect, or simple fact? How's this any different?

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

Forever in the Gilles & Chmerkovskiy Camp

Quote Originally Posted by aname2;3187740;
    And, don't forget the torn bicep muscle suffered by Christian last season. I've read all the responses to Cloris' age and agree and disagree. IMO:
    1. 82 is NOT 60 (or even 70) it is 80+. Regardless of whether you are a very very fit 80 year old, your bones, ligaments, muscles, etc. have aged and are not as strong and durable as they were in one's younger years. All of one's internal organs also age.
    3. I am also concerned about the judges making allowances for her age and judging her accordingly. That would make it unfair to the other contestants. They haven't done that for the 50 and 60+ people, they shouldn't for her. They didn't make too many allowances for the Heathers lack of a leg or Marlee's lack of hearing. So, hopefullly, this will be a moot point.
    Well said on these two points. Yes, other stars (and pros) younger than her have suffered injuries but were able to continue. You make a good point in the first point that she could suffer the same injury and not be as lucky. Granted I don't see her doing the same time of dance moves that the younger stars will be doing, as some have already said. That just seem unrealistic to say she should have to be whipped across the floor. Heather did get one free pass after breaking a rule, so I also hope the judges don't overlook anything Cloris does wrong because of her age that they'd mark someone else down on (and hopefully we don't have to hear every episode how incredible it is she's doing this for her age).

In this ABC promo photo, Phyllis, err... I mean Cloris... doesn't look a day over 75!

Who is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by Krom;3187788;
    In this ABC promo photo, Phyllis, err... I mean Cloris... doesn't look a day over 75!

Wow. How old is Mark's daddy. He's hot!

One of my ballroom/latin/swing students is 90 years old!!! No, she can't shake it like the young stars on the show, but she grew up dancing jitterbug and has been active all her life, so even though we have to be careful with certain moves, she's able to dance and enjoy herself with the best of them.

I think it's great Cloris is on the show- no reason to stop dancing just because you reach a certain age. And regarding injuries, it's just a matter of knowing and respecting your physical limits- I trust the choreographers, coaches, and producers will be prudent. I understand the concerns about preferential treatment, but that's no reason to have nothing but twenty- and thirty-somethings only.
    And I sing sometimes like my life is at stake because you're only as loud as the noises you make.

Where I is, you 'ain't! bee stung lips's Avatar

I am tickled pink that Cloris will be on this season's DWTS. Can't wait to see how she'll do in her performances.
    "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

She'll last longer than Rocco ... and that's about it.

In my own little corner, in my own little chair...

Quote Originally Posted by Aota Bass;3189962;
    I think it's great Cloris is on the show- no reason to stop dancing just because you reach a certain age. And regarding injuries, it's just a matter of knowing and respecting your physical limits- I trust the choreographers, coaches, and producers will be prudent. I understand the concerns about preferential treatment, but that's no reason to have nothing but twenty- and thirty-somethings only.
    I couldn't agree more, and you said it so well.

Quote Originally Posted by Aota Bass;3189962;
    no reason to stop dancing just because you reach a certain age.
    As a personal choice, I fully agree. It's only as a "competitive" choice that I have reservations. This isn't a "hey old lady, get off our dance floor" situation as much as one where potentially someone is being marched out more to make a point of some type rather than to compete on the same level.

I think it would be great, for example, gutsy, if they held a DWTS Senior tournament. Which wouldn't be any kind of institutionalized insult, because most major individual sports have such things. If unsure of the audience on the big mouse network, hold it on a smaller one, like ABC Family. Have a serious competition of actual peers, with equitable judging, instead of what in the case of Cloris comes off a bit like a stunt.

There would be more than enough stars to potentially compete, and you might even be able to get some big "classic Hollywood" names. How about 71 year old Warren Beatty? 63 year old Michael Douglas? 61 year old Glenn Close? 73 year old Judi Dench? People like that. Who'd probably balk at being part of a "stunt" where they are an underdog against 20 year olds, but who might conceivably be convinced to do a less intense, more elegant competition where their inclusion wouldn't be a spectacle.

FORT Fan

I remember that when I was young, I couldn't imagine ever getting to 40, much less 80. It all seemed just ridiculously old to me. But now that I'm pushing 60, it makes me really, really happy to see an 80-year-old dance well. There's one in my dance group that I get to see every week--- she has a lot of fans.

Oh, and there's a lady in our community who was born in 1901--- she could still do the splits up to the age of 90. She just started using a cane occasionally since she broke her hip last year, but she recovered from that almost completely and still walks quickly and firmly. There are often stories about her in the local newspapers, because everybody would like to think that they could be like her.

So I hope Cloris Leachman will provide similar inspiration.

+ Reply to Thread