+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: 5/19 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Re: 5/19 Show Discussion **Spoilers**

Well obviously Kristie is the better dancer...and I've always loved her as a skater...but..you can't tell me that figure skating doesn't have it's share of dance style and choreography built into each performance. so I think Kristie came into DWTS with a distinct advantage.

Jason while able to move around on the dance floor and being able to do so without snagging onto his partner's costume (what there is of it) and tearing it off the body, just can't get his hips moving on the Latin numbers.

Cristian may be limited by his injured arm, but boy watch those hips and feet move and the excitement on his face. No one is trying harder and than he is to put out a great performance, and not only is he trying he's suceeding. And the choreography that Cheryl has done for them since the injury is just fab He and Cheryl are getting all of my votes this week.
    DevilTwin
    Trekker and Geocacher

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetRTWatcher;3008377;
    You don't think that the level of difficulty should come into play somewhere? What if two couple executed their moves perfectly, but one routine was twice as difficult as the other?
    Let's say I go first with a very difficult routine and get ten's. You go next and your routine is more difficult. How are you going to get a higher score for performing a more difficult routine? Your score should reflect your own routine and anyone else's routine should have no bearing on your score. Your level of difficulty is taken into consideration when determining your score, not mine. Make sense?

Quote Originally Posted by SavhLaney;3008247;
    I loved Jason and Edyta's routine!!! They were fantastic and deserved much better than nine's.
    I'm OK with the 9's, since there was very little actual dancing and mostly tricks and lifts. 10's would have been outrageous considering that.

Christian and Kristi are the only contestants on ANY show that I've EVER voted for. If I vote anymore it will be for Kristie, since she is the total package for me. BUT Christian may just be my favorite contestant in all seasons of DWTS, even though George Hamilton in the Hood was the funniest.

Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott;3008477;
    Let's say I go first with a very difficult routine and get ten's. You go next and your routine is more difficult. How are you going to get a higher score for performing a more difficult routine? Your score should reflect your own routine and anyone else's routine should have no bearing on your score. Your level of difficulty is taken into consideration when determining your score, not mine. Make sense?
    It makes sense, I just can't say that I completely agree. I personally think that difficulty should play a part, however I think the rules of the show are more in line with what you are saying.

It must be really hot in the studio this evening, they are all really perspiring. I never noticed it that much before. Kristie looks adorable. sorry just now watching since I taped it.

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott;3008477;
    That's why in REAL competitions (e.g. Olympics or World Championships for gymnastics or figure skating), the first competitor up is almost always at a disadvantage. They're generally scored lower because the judges have to leave room for the other competitors to score higher. This is a TV show--not an actual competition based on merit (hence the audience voting for the cute men or some maybe not voting for a woman because they're clearly jealous of her ). The judges see the dress rehearsals and know how difficult each routine is. They know just by the level of moves in Kristie and Mark's routines that theirs are far, far more difficult than Jason or Cristian's. So they're pretty safe giving Kristie and Mark 10's for what they believe are perfect routines.

Quote Originally Posted by psycobabe007;3008309;
    What? Len is going to judge the Cristian's lifts the same as the other 2?
    Sure, why not? Marlee was judged the same as the others who could hear the music. Just 'cause he got injured doesn't mean he should get a pass on competing.

I think if judged on talent, Kristie and Mark should win. But if based on votes, I think Jason may have a good shot to take home that tacky mirrorball.
    Last edited by Lois Lane; 05-19-2008 at 10:42 PM. Reason: TYPO city!

Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane;3008721;
    That's why in REAL competitions (e.g. Olympics or World Championships for gymnastics or figure skating), the first competitor up is almost always at a disadvantage. They're generally scored lower because the judges have to leave room for the other competitors to score higher. This is a TV show--not an actual competition based on merit (hence the audience judging for the cute men or not voting for a woman because they're clearly jealous of her ). The judges see the dress rehearsals and know how difficult each routine is. They know just by the level of moves in Kristie and Mark's routines that theirs are far, far more difficult than Jason or Cristian's. So they're pretty safe giving Kristie and Mark 10's for what they believe are perfect routines.

Sure, why not? Marlee was judged the same as the others who could hear the music. Just 'cause he got injured doesn't mean he should get a pass on competing.

I think if judged on talent, Kristie and Mark should win. But if based on votes, I think Jason may have a good shot to take home that tacky mirrorball.
    I agree. In real competitions, you never want to go first. That's why the last contestant is considered in the "pimp" spot. Now it seems to be, although they try to rearrange things so Kristi doesn't always go last, they do seem to try and keep the favorites towards the end, otherwise people would tune in see their favorite and then tune out.

I hope Kristi fans vote tonight. It really comes down to that. I love Cristian and Jason, but Kristi has just plain out-danced them all season.
    Tahoe bound....

West-coaster here -- Kristi's freestyle was good, but not worthy of a perfect score. She had some moves that were not so smooth, and did not do the moonwalk so very well. Why no docking for her missteps? She was very impressive with her cha-cha and earned every bit of her perfect score there - but the other was just the judges wanting her to win. Jason and Edyta up after commercial - very excited.

Oh.my.goodness... that was friggin' H.O.T. !!!!! So deserved 10's -- the hell is that ????????
    Last edited by Margaritaville; 05-19-2008 at 11:50 PM.

In real-world competitions subjective competitions like ice skating, gymnastics, and diving, all moves are assigned points for difficulty level before the competition starts. All competitors need to inform the judges of everything they are goin to do before they start. That really can't be done in a competition like this one and I do feel that difficulty should play a role.

As for tonight, what the actual numbers were doesn't really matter to me whether it was 10's, 9's, 8's, or whatever. The important thing was that the numbers reflected who was the best. If Kristi's had received 9's instead of 10's, then the other two would have received a lower number than they did. I loved all three of them and for the first time I felt that the right 3 couples were in the finale. Order of finish for me, based on dance, would be

Kristi, if not perfect, still the best
    Christian, by just a tad over Jason.
    Jason, I grew to have a great deal of respect for Jason.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

FORT Fogey

Had to tape the show well beyond voting hours. Crossing fingers for a Kristi victory. And, I've not been the biggest Jason fan, but I think he took the lead from Christian a bit tonight. A little Latin overkill for me (enough with the unbuttoned shirt already; we get it. you're hot).

And, where is my memory?! Did 3 players always go to the end? I thought it was always between 2?

+ Reply to Thread